Burn Notice disarm techniques

TLM Fighting Chance

White Belt
Reaction score
Saw in the archives some inquiries into Burn Notice star, Jeff Donovan's style used on show. It is accurate he has a background in Shotokan, Aikido and BJJ. The disarm tactics he often uses are from a system called Fighting Chance Combat Systems, or TLM's Fighting Chance. I am the founder and co-creator of the system along with my son, Thomas Lee, whom the system is named after. I am often brought in to choreograph the more complex fights and disarm tactics on the show. Artie Malesci, the stunt coordinator of Burn Notice has trained in my system and either will choreograph the moves or bring me in. I choreographed the Sambo episode and suggested they bring in Andrew Divoff to play the Russian, Mike was incarcerated with. The same producers shot BEHIND ENEMY LINES - 3 COLOMBIA and brought me in to choreograph the CQB and knife fight, as well as train the actors and stunt crew.

And please understand, it IS movie and TV combat. We try very hard to make it realistic and viable, but it is ALWAYS, the final choice of the director and actors involved. Jeff Donovan works very hard to make the show accurate and entertaining and it is successful because of his and the entire crews efforts.

Hope this clarifies some issues. Nice being on board.

Thanks

Jeff Moldovan
Chief Instructor/TLM's Fighting Chance

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saw in the archives some inquiries into Burn Notice star, Jeff Donovan's style used on show. It is accurate he has a background in Shotokan, Aikido and BJJ. The disarm tactics he often uses are from a system called Fighting Chance Combat Systems, or TLM's Fighting Chance. I am the founder and co-creator of the system along with my son, Thomas Lee, whom the system is named after. I am often brought in to choreograph the more complex fights and disarm tactics on the show. Artie Malesci, the stunt coordinator of Burn Notice has trained in my system and either will choreograph the moves or bring me in. I choreographed the Sambo episode and suggested they bring in Andrew Divoff to play the Russian, Mike was incarcerated with. The same producers shot BEHIND ENEMY LINES - 3 COLOMBIA and brought me in to choreograph the CQB and knife fight, as well as train the actors and stunt crew.

And please understand, it IS movie and TV combat. We try very hard to make it realistic and viable, but it is ALWAYS, the final choice of the director and actors involved. Jeff Donovan works very hard to make the show accurate and entertaining and it is successful because of his and the entire crews efforts.

Hope this clarifies some issues. Nice being on board.

Thanks

Jeff Moldovan
Chief Instructor/TLM's Fighting Chance

Jeff,

Welcome to MT and thanks for posting this information.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome and thanks for the info. My wife and I are huge fans of the show.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While not really personally a fan of any movie fu I congratulate you on your hard work and hope you can keep it going!

Latest Discussions