Bujinkan as an "Ultimate" Martial Art

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by SRyuFighter
All he said was that he didn't think it was an ultimate martial art. I completely agree with that.

Have to agree with you on that point. But at the same time, I think it has to be pointed out that there is no one ultimate martial art. There are some very specialized arts that do well in certain situations. But take them out of those situations and they quickly lose effectiveness. The best example I have heard of this is that if you take a Wing Chun guy and a TKD guy into a crowded ally with a lot of junk on the ground- all else being the same- you would give the advantage to the the Wing Chun guy. Take those same two guys and put them in an open parking lot and I would put my money on the TKD guy.

I like Bujinkan because it seems to be one of the best overall arts that cover a lot of different situations. But it does not seem to excell in any one area as a result. I think there is value in any martial art (leaving aside those started by frauds and 12 year olds) as long as you know what they are supposed to do and what they are not supposed to be. Along with Bujinkan in Japan, I have my Taiji class in a few hours and will possibly be getting together with my Silat partner tommorow. Each art has its strengths as well as its weaknesses. The Bujinkan has its weaknesses and knowing those points should be a subject of study for the students of the Bujinkan.

S

SRyuFighter

Originally posted by Don Roley
Have to agree with you on that point. But at the same time, I think it has to be pointed out that there is no one ultimate martial art.
I completely agree with you there.

S

Silent Nightfall

Moromoro, the Bujinkan system is not the ultimate martial art because no such thing exists. In terms of combat arts designed for real life situations and not for competitions with rules, it is one of, perhaps even the most, effective to date. It has its weaknesses as all arts do, but as Don said, it is up to the student to find out these weaknesses and learn to work around them. I believe our art is well-versed in all types of situations as we learn to use our environment. Whether it be closed spaces or open, armed or unarmed, we train for all of it. Of course, it depends completely upon the practitioner too. Some people just weren't made for some arts so that particular art won't seem effective for them. I'm happy where I am. That's all that matters. Oh, and by the way, did you have any ideas for what the ultimate martial art is if such exists? Or do you also agree that there are no ultimate martial arts? Just wondering.

bujinclergy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bujingodai
Like Jay stated on the other thread a Judan, actually 13th now. Asked for this to be awarded, honourary. Of course is now being used as legit.

The Honorary Rank is a legit honorary award!

He is the highest ranking Bujinkan in Canada, also a member of the Juko-Kai.

His name is John Willson and he's been with the Juko-Kai since the 70's and he's been with the Bujinkan since mid to early 80's! His capabilities and his time of experience says a lot about his loyalties to Juko-Kai.

In my backyard so I don't care to go farther than that.
Don't blame you since you'd have to answer to him directly.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by bujinclergy
The Honorary Rank is a legit honorary award!

What he is saying is that the rank is being used as if the guy had taken the fifth dan test and everything else that goes into a real (as compared to honorary) rank.

L

Lawman9

Originally posted by moromoro
i still dont think it is the ultimate martial art

I completely disagree. It is the best art if you want to actually defend yourself in any situation. The weakness is you can't score too many points in a tournament with it. I have a student who also studies Hapkido so he can help his sons with it. He enters tournaments just for the fun of it says that he always reverts back to the way we move and flow in the Bujinkan. He says that Hapkido and TKD "don't feel right". That says enough to me.

I have also used it to get my a** out of some bad situations and it worked flawlessly. Just ask some of the big guys I have arrested who tried to kick my a**. :D

R

RyuShiKan

well have you ever come across a real eskrimador....

You mean the kind that uses real blades instead of sticks?;)

R

RyuShiKan

not neccessarily i dont really understand what you mean by that.

From what I have seen and read of eskrima the actual use of the eskrima sticks was to take the place of real blades. In real combat the use of bladed weapons were used.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by RyuShiKan
From what I have seen and read of eskrima the actual use of the eskrima sticks was to take the place of real blades. In real combat the use of bladed weapons were used.

I heard that what you stated is only partially the case. That
some have taken it and turned it into a stick art. In Kali, I've
learned strips that would cut your hand in half, from mid palm on
up. And then some other FMA styles keep it the way you've stated.

S

Silent Nightfall

Just a simple inquiry, but can someone please explain the transition from the Bujinkan as an effective combat art to that of a police officer coming across and experienced escrima master? I'm not quite sure of what the point is exactly.

D

Dennis_Mahon

Thread drift is one of the many hazards of internet discussions.

L

Lawman9

LOL....We did have an escrima student in our group, and he is still a close friend. No doubt the stuff they have is wicked. But, #1, they have to have sticks (or blades), #2, They would have to be able to hit a small .40 caliber piece of lead traveling close to 1000 fps.
That is a good inquiry but I am not going to take on someone bare handed who has a set of sticks (or blades). Common sense tells you to find another way to settle the situation. Of course I could pull my katana out of the inside of my trench coat and then shoot my lightning out of my finger tips and destroy him! But the Supreme Court has frowned on that. ....... lol...

S

Silent Nightfall

I believe that the reference to the list is that of the world's top martial arts. I could be wrong, however.

Latest Discussions