Building Strength?

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes these are good post's.

Just remember when you start training, keep it up it will be hard at first.
The discipline is the key, to do it and then do it some more, and it never should get any easier...

If it gets easier you are only cheating yourself...

Regards, Gary

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
AHinnebusch said:
What is the best way to build strength?

Yes I know it is an open ended question, I am looking for a variety of answers.

With weights, and if so how do you go about it?
I know proper technique and stance can multipy strength when executing, but is there more to it?

~Andrew
What art do you do? What type of movement do you need to support?

"Soft arts" require a different emphasis in strength development than "Hard Arts" would simply becuase of the difference in demand placed on the body.

For the average, enthusiat/recreational practicioner a general fitness program that balances cardiovascular and muscular endurance/stregth would be fine.

The really difficult thing is finding the balance between your 'work outs' and your 'martial arts class.' Remember to consider your 'martial arts' classes as if they were 'work outs' when you plan your weekly schedule.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian Jones said:
For the past year i haave been using Matt Furey's combat conditioning which is basiclaly using your own body weight. I have noticed an increase in strength, and I never have en excuse, like not being near a gym, not to train and I can do something every day.

Brian Jones
I am with you Brian, have been doing the Matt Furey stuff for a couple of years now, and altough the guy is pretty annoying, his stuff has worked for me (not for everyone as it may be) and I have greater all round strength and conditioning than when I used to run at local level or used to lift a lot of iron...

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
scorpio said:
Andrew,
As a general rule in strength training, the mantra has always been heavy weights with low reps for strength and low weight high reps for toning and endurance. This being said I believe 10-15 reps with moderate weight is the best combination for martial artists. some other thoughts:

1) weights are the best form of resistance for strength training.

2) Dumbells and a flat bench are an economical combo that will give you a full body work out.

3) Pushups and dips are great all around upper body exercises.

4) work your large muscle groups first. Small ones last.

5) Doing isolated shoulder exercises( lat raises, 'teacups" slow punching
with dumbells etc.) will not only build strength but can serve to protect
the complex shoulder joint/cap from injury.

6) Rest and proper nutrition are equally vital in achieving your strength goals.

Lastly; listen to your body, vary your routines and exercises and practice what Joe Weider called " Intuitive training". Don't worry what may or not work for the other guy, but create what works for you!
It's so true, it bears repeating!!!!!

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi again,
Tendon strength is very important and you are not going to get that, unless you are doing lots of reps. For example lets say I do a cerain weight for 10 times and 3 sets, go to the next exercise...Stop doing that for a while and do this...
Regards, Gary
"Tendon strength" doesn't come from endurance type exercises nearly as much as it does from multi-joint Power movements with an increasing weight load.
Any form of "strength", muscular or tendon, comes from increasing the load, not the volume. Strength only comes from recouperation following increased demand.

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
GAB said:
Yes these are good post's.

Just remember when you start training, keep it up it will be hard at first.
The discipline is the key, to do it and then do it some more, and it never should get any easier...

If it gets easier you are only cheating yourself...

Regards, Gary
This TOO bears repeating!!!!
Very accurate I think!

Your Brother
John

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Wow great info! "Yes" Matt's Fury condition book is terrific stuff and work very well. Get his book.

There is so many muscle magazines and with thousands of information on strenght building, it can get confusing. But it seems if you lift weights it will help you build muscles and strenght. Plyrometrics builds explosive muscles, you may want to get a good book on this.

Most of you mention "jump rope" , for us it is mandatory in our class to jump rope. Jr's 2-3 minutes and adults at least 4 minutes two times for testing.

It is nice to read most of you have been doing some kind of routine excerise and it does take disclpine to do it everyday. You guys are true martial artist!

That's the hardest part to start and stay with a program and make it a part of your everyday routine. "Do it now"..........Aloha