Building Strength?

A

AHinnebusch

What is the best way to build strength?

Yes I know it is an open ended question, I am looking for a variety of answers.

With weights, and if so how do you go about it?
I know proper technique and stance can multipy strength when executing, but is there more to it?

~Andrew

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For the past year i haave been using Matt Furey's combat conditioning which is basiclaly using your own body weight. I have noticed an increase in strength, and I never have en excuse, like not being near a gym, not to train and I can do something every day.

Brian Jones

OP
B

Black Bear

Whole-body powerlifting movements, gradually and regularly increasing the load. Three days a week (always a day break between workouts), very brief workouts. I always do three sets of ten and get out.

Drink lots of water, eat natural foods in a healthy balance, and train endurance.

I've heard good things about the Furey method.

Weights is core for foundational strength. But if you want to hit harder, hit heavy-bags. If you want to kick harder, kick heavy bags. If you want to bridge or shrimp stronger, bridge and shrimp with medicine balls, etc.

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by AHinnebusch
How is it done?

Matt Furey's, "Combat Conditioning:"

* Focused on the Big 3:
1. The Hindu Squat
2. The Hindu Pushup
3. The Bridge

* Perform large number of repetitions 3-6 days a week. Alternate between light and heavy days (in reference to number of reps)
1. Start with somewhere around 20-30 Hindu Squats & 10-20 Hindu Pushups & 10-20 seconds on the Bridge.
2. Try to add a small number of reps every day/week, etc. until you can do 100 Hindu Squats and 50 Hindu Pushups & about 1 minute on the Bridge.
3. Next go for 250 Hindu Squats and 100-125 Hindu Pushups & 3 minutes on the Bridge.
4. The number of reps is generally considered to be one long set though some people divide up the total into smaller subsets with rests in between each subset.

See http://www.trainforstrength.com for descriptions and photos of these exercises.

My alternate/supplemental suggestion Furey:
1. Try "ladders". Look up articles on http://www.dragondoor.com
2. Try GTG (grease the groove). Look up articles on http://www.dragondoor.com
3. Get a chinup bar and do ladders and GTG on ladders. http://www.doorgym.net
4. Learn to pistol. Again http://www.dragondoor.com
5. Do slow pushups (4 full seconds down, 1 second pause at bottom, 4 full seconds up, 1 second pause at top equals 1 pushup) with pushup handles with feet elevated.
6. Do slow pull ups (full pull ups at complete extension, hang, 1-2 full seconds up, chin over bar, hold 1 second, 4 full seconds down to full extension, hold 1 second equals one pull up). Try to work up to 10.

OP
B

bscastro

There are many ways to increase strength, including weightlifting, isometrics, and calisthenics. The key is to both understand that each affect strength in different ways. For example, doing calisthenics increases pure "strength" (the ability to do one repetition with higher and higher resistance) up to a point, but increasing repetitions works more on muscular endurance (the ability to do repetitions for longer periods of time). Both are important in martial arts.

My main goal for general health is doing something consistently and doing what I enjoy, because in the long run, that's what will gain results. So I mix calisthenics and weightlifting depending on my mood. It may not be as productive as having a regimented program, but the fact that I'm doing it consistently is more important than trying to be too rigid and giving up.

For weightlifting for strength, check out http://www.cyberpump.com/

Good luck!

Bryan

OP
S

scorpio

Andrew,
As a general rule in strength training, the mantra has always been heavy weights with low reps for strength and low weight high reps for toning and endurance. This being said I believe 10-15 reps with moderate weight is the best combination for martial artists. some other thoughts:

1) weights are the best form of resistance for strength training.

2) Dumbells and a flat bench are an economical combo that will give you a full body work out.

3) Pushups and dips are great all around upper body exercises.

4) work your large muscle groups first. Small ones last.

5) Doing isolated shoulder exercises( lat raises, 'teacups" slow punching
with dumbells etc.) will not only build strength but can serve to protect
the complex shoulder joint/cap from injury.

6) Rest and proper nutrition are equally vital in achieving your strength goals.

Lastly; listen to your body, vary your routines and exercises and practice what Joe Weider called " Intuitive training". Don't worry what may or not work for the other guy, but create what works for you!

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
scorpio said:
Andrew,
As a general rule in strength training, the mantra has always been heavy weights with low reps for strength and low weight high reps for toning and endurance. This being said I believe 10-15 reps with moderate weight is the best combination for martial artists. some other thoughts:

2) Dumbells and a flat bench are an economical combo that will give you a full body work out.

6) Rest and proper nutrition are equally vital in achieving your strength goals.

Lastly; listen to your body, vary your routines and exercises and practice what Joe Weider called " Intuitive training". Don't worry what may or not work for the other guy, but create what works for you!
Perfect Response!!!

Just some things I would like to highlight,

1) the building of muscle does not take place as you lift, it takes place AFTER. Be sure to allow your body to rest and rebuild. This goes hand in hand with nutrition. You will not build muscle if you don't feed your body. If you aren't using a protien supplement be sure to eat foods high in protien.

2) Be consistant, for the best results you need to work out at least 3 times a week; leave the excuses at home cuz they arent welcome.

3) Vary the exercises for each muscle group every 6 (or so) weeks. If you don't your body will adapt to those particular exercises and the value will be lost.

Also have a look here, they go more in depth
http://www.askmen.com/sports/fitness_top_ten/19_fitness_list.html

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
AHinnebusch said:
What is the best way to build strength?

Yes I know it is an open ended question, I am looking for a variety of answers.

With weights, and if so how do you go about it?
I know proper technique and stance can multipy strength when executing, but is there more to it?

~Andrew

When I was lifting some years ago I followed Tudor Bompa's (spelling?) method of lifting 85% or more of my one rep max for as many reps as I could in a set (which was around 3-5). Rest time between sets was a whopping five minutes. After five minutes my creatine levels were restored, and I was ready to go again. At four minutes and thirty seconds my heart rate dropped dramatically...just as Bompa said it would.

It took time during the workout, of course...five sets of one exercise took well over a half an hour...BUT the results were fantastic. I was stronger than I had ever been.

This isn't something you maintain for any length of time. He has a book out that I believe is called "Periodization In Training." It'll give you schedules for working towards a peak.

Sorry I can't give you more information, but I gave his books to JulesK awhile back so that she could prep herself for her fighting.

Regards,

Steve

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I think you should go to a good Doctor who works with sports persons...

Get a good physcial... Talk to him or her and go from there, lots of good stuff here...Protein is a major item...If you are 150 lbs and are taking in less then 75 gms of protein you are not going to build muscle.

If you are 220 like me I make sure I get 125 gms a day minimum...good protein in the bulk at Costco $20.00 for six pounds good stuff...I am changing my workout to half the weight and fifty reps at a time right now for cardio...

Regards, Gary

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
One question I have is about timing of exercises.

Every morning I do situps and pushups and jump-rope. Then I do some arm/chest and leg strengthening exercises with a resistance tube. I do a bun of exercises and I do them every day. I'm wondering, though, if I would be better off doing only some ofthe kinds of exercises on one day, but more of them (like instead of doing A 50 times and then B 50 times, do A on Monday, 50 times twice, and then B on Tuesday 50-times twice)

I also do more pushups in the evening and leg lifts and some fast jump-roping and squat-jumps.

I've reach a bit of a plateau in my pushups that I haven't been able to push past for awhile and I'm wondering if I'm not giving certain muscles time to recover/build by doing everything every day

OP
S

scorpio

Fearless,
I don't mean to come across as some expert in strength training ( two posts now!). However I would strongly recommend some form of a split routine. There are many ways to structure this:
A) Upper body one day/ lower the next
B) Chest/shoulders/ triceps one day, legs/ back / biceps the next
c) Pushing movements (bench press or pushups)one day, pulling movements
( pulldowns, rows) the next.
The list goes on, but the principle remains the same, work some body part every day while resting others. This will optimize strength and muscle gain and allow more intensity in your work outs. You may also consider taking a full day off once a week.
As for the concept of all those reps, why?
I like to maximize my workout in the least amount of time possible. Using moderate weights and doing 10-15 reps for 3-4 sets is one alternative . Some other things I have found helpful: Try pushups with the resistance band wrapped around your chest (handles in your hands), use pushup bars for greater ROM, (two soup cans will also work), try incline/decline variations. Experiment, have fun and find what works for you.
As to your "plateau", I think you have answered your own question!
This is only my own humble rambling, but I hope it may have some value to you.

OP
P

PragmaticMartialArtist

Build strength or power? The two are not the same. Power is the ability to move an object over a relatively short period of time. Power involves acceleration not speed.

Go to the book store and read books on PYLOMETRIC exercises for power. Basically the exercises require to explode quickly to move a given weight, whether the weight is an object or your own body weight. Side jumps, sprints, throwing a medicine ball, jump squats, etc. You can spend time at the gym with weights and increase your strength i.e. ability to move weight but for me, my goal is power as it relates to Martial Arts.

In any endeavor, I ask what do I want to achieve, how do I achieve it, and what is the best method to achieve it.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have two goals; explosive power (for strikes; in TKD a lot of that is in the legs) and endurance (a sparring round last several minutes..important to still be strong at the end as well as the beginning...and the next round).

The reason I do large counts of some exercises is to build up endurance and the ability to keep pushing even when at the point of fatigue (50 pushups straight rather than 2 sets of 25 with a break in between; that kinda thing). In my morning jump-rope, I do it for nine-minutes straight (currently...I increase occasionally) at a decent pace, which is for leg-strength but also for endurance and breathing.

For explosive power, I do things differently. In the evening I jump-rope for a minute and a half, but as fast as I can. I also do jump-squats and switch jumps (like a switch stance but jumping as high as I can from a normal fighting stance). This is to try to give my legs (I do TKD so fast power in the legs is important) and I picked them up from some recommendations on plyometric leg exercises

asangria

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
scorpio said:
Andrew,

Great tips

I noticed that when I concentrate on my upper body doing lat pulldowns or even dips the range of motion I have across my chest seems to be shorter when trying to excute a parry. I was doing some line-sets at the studio (after a good workout) and I noticed it. I feel stronger with my weight training but I wonder how much of my flexibility/range of motion I will be losing.

I stretch daily but it doesn't seem to work. I'm considering trying resistant exercises versus freeweights but not sure that will help.

Any ideas?

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
asangria said:
Great tips

I noticed that when I concentrate on my upper body doing lat pulldowns or even dips the range of motion I have across my chest seems to be shorter when trying to excute a parry. I was doing some line-sets at the studio (after a good workout) and I noticed it. I feel stronger with my weight training but I wonder how much of my flexibility/range of motion I will be losing.

I stretch daily but it doesn't seem to work. I'm considering trying resistant exercises versus freeweights but not sure that will help.

Any ideas?
Hi,

Cut down on the weight and increase the reps, stretch, do a rowing type exercise pull the weight to your chest and bunch your back muscles, have the Item you are holding as wide as your chest...Pull don't push...

Regards, Gary

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi again,

Tendon strength is very important and you are not going to get that, unless you are doing lots of reps. For example lets say I do a cerain weight for 10 times and 3 sets, go to the next exercise...Stop doing that for a while and do this...

Now lets go and do 100 reps and rest that group and do 100 reps at a different station then go do 100 reps at a different station. Each station is working on a seperate group of muscles...Get a drink and go back and start it again.. or drink in between the stations...

Try that for a couple of weeks if you can handle it, and then you will know what I am talking about...

Regards, Gary

OP
S

scorpio

All Good points!

In reference to stength versus power -

I don't think that strength and explosive power are mutually exclusive.
you can build "explosiveness" with weights as well as developing strength.
In fact Frank Mir (of MMA fame) addressed this very issue in a recent article.
His example was that of the bench press. using moderate weight he rests the bar on his chest, relaxes, than explodes it upward. This concept can be used with almost any weight exercise (squats, presses etc.).
just another perspective.

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
Within the Russian System we have lots of exercises for strength and conditioning. However the basic three exercises are the squat, leg raise and pressup. Do these slowly and concenrate on your form and breathing. The in breath should be through the nose and the out breath throught the mouth. The mouth should be 'O' shaped during this. As the exercise becomes more difficult the out breath should be sharper.

As far as form is concerned this is crucial in the squat. The spine should be straight and as verticle as possible. The feet should be parrallel. The reason for this is to tighten the muscles that hold the hip joints in place. Some stretches and martial arts stances cause them to become loose. The joint then deforms to take up the slack. Squats done slowly in this fashion can tighten the muscles and re-align the joint.

On pressups make sure you pressup on your fist and that the alignment of you fist is correct. (The back of the hand and wrist should be perfectly flat). This way you are educating your muscles and tendons to be strong in that direction, which is essential for punching.

When I say do an exercise slowly I mean to go down to the count of 30 and back at the same pace. This kind of thing cannot be done if you do not breath correctly. Another good exercise is to hold either the pressup or squat in a halfway down position. Set yourself a time of a minute, or more when your strength increases.

The biggest strength increase that comes from pushing yourself beyond your normal physical limits is an increase in your strength of mind and spirit. To get the most improvements in your mental strength have someone else do the counting or time the exercise. That way you will not know when it is going to end and will have to find hidden mental and physical reserves.

I have a large number of drills and exercises on my website. Please click here if you want more information on exercises performed in the Russian System.

Paul Genge
Russian Martial Art Northwest
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk

Latest Discussions