"Building character"

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial arts, even sports in general, are said to "Build Character"

What does that mean? What is this "Character" we are supposed to be building, and how do we do it?

Try to keep this activity independent, whether you are doing Soccer, Baseball, Swimming, karate or Boxing shouldn't matter, should it? It would be in how the coach and the athletes approach the sport right? So what is it, what actually builds it?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

What does that mean? What is this "Character" we are supposed to be building, and how do we do it?

Try to keep this activity independent, whether you are doing Soccer, Baseball, Swimming, karate or Boxing shouldn't matter, should it? It would be in how the coach and the athletes approach the sport right? So what is it, what actually builds it?

Sports can teach teamwork, perseverence, a good work ethic and a striving for perfection. Unfortunately, they cannot totally counteract a bad home environment, nor can they teach compassion, mercy and empathy. Still, they are a good bet for the money.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Sports can teach teamwork, perseverence, a good work ethic and a striving for perfection.

Anything in particular you do to develop these attributes? Anything to prevent the negative ones from overpowering them?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I don't think so. It's like preaching to the choir. Those people volunteer to do those activities, so it's like they already buy into those mindsets. The negative stuff will go on and does, look at the pro's. It comes down to the individuals. Ultimately, all you have is words, it's up to them to do the actions.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
almost any activity with a worthy goal in mind will build 'character': personal growth and development in a postive direction.

activities where that goal has a deadline and clear definition of success and failure can further that growth by adding a sense of accountability and responsibility for your actions.

activities where you have to work with others toward that goal can ante up teamwork, taking orders, giving orders, patience and cameraderie.

and if you top it off with a positive role model who demonstrates both the benefits of the goal and some perspective as to what the goal means, then you have something of a silver bullet.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really don't think it does.

For myself, my character was 'built' by the way my parents raised and taught me. As a Christian, my character is reinforced and developed by my spiritual beliefs.

Martial Arts (and when I was younger, Little League and track and swimming) provide a place for me to apply that character. If I have perseverance, it's a place to persevere, etc..At best, sports provides a reward system for what having good character traits can do for me, but that can also apply to bad character traits. I mean, after all, if sports build character, how come so many top athletes have such bad character? Many are great people, but many are not

If any of that 'builds character' than I really think it's due to the influence of the character of the people who train you, not the sport itself. But in that way, chess can build character, as well, if the right perso is teaching you.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
If any of that 'builds character' than I really think it's due to the influence of the character of the people who train you, not the sport itself. But in that way, chess can build character, as well, if the right person is teaching you.

I couldn't agree more with this statement FF. The rest of your post was great also, but I think with the right individuals involved that alone can instill "character" for a person. While NOTHING can replace the home environment and teaching, I think the coach/sensei/instructor/etc... can have a positive influence and foster change. I am also including the religious aspect of character into the home environment because without an example of religion in the home, few will seek it out on their own when old enough to do so.

I think sports can foster "character" but it comes from the people teaching it, and not from the sport itself. Think of how many times you have seen a MA school, Little League team, Soccer team, Etc... that displayed poor sportsmanship, snooty, or lack of compassion overall as a team, and the same activities who have outstanding "character" in all aspects. The only difference is in the people teaching.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Overcoming the challenges, learning to work with others, becoming a better person, learning about yourself.
you have to develop these things in order to suceed and grow and you get there by persevering, listening to good advice, and by paying attention to your efforts vs. results!

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me Wing Chun has helped me develope patience and to "feel" a situation out more than to over analyze it. Wing Chun has also taught me how to question what is being taught and figure out it's purpose/applications + when and where it can be applied. Through Wing Chun I have learned to relax a whole lot more (and I still have a long way to go!). Wing Chun is still teaching me about balance ying/Yang. So I am still a work in progress. Basically Wing Chun is training me to work correctly in a box b4 learning how to work outside of that box correctly.

As for Boxing, I am learning to understand the values of working hard in order to reach my goals. Boxing is teaching me never ever to give up regardless of what others have to say or regardless of how tough the task is.
I remember for the first time coming into the boxing gym, seeing all the guys and girls skipping so fast and with ease. I assumed i was not capable of that. 3 weeks later "I" was skipping rope good! I am even able to do the "jogging style" of skipping now with one leg for each hope as if I'm jogging forward and backward. I just had to put some effort into it and it eventually came.

I'll just keep this short and sweet= the two sweet sciences (boxing/Wing Chun) has taught me intense focus with the patience and relaxed demeanor of a tiger waiting for its prey. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are a lot of ways that people define their character, or their values...much like there are a lot of ways that one defines their athletic ability.

Sports is one way to bridge the gap between talkikng about what one believes, and actually living up to it...especially when under duress.

For me, MA has built my character. I don't think I was a bad person before, nor was I an unsuccessful one. But, my training opened my mind to new ideas, new challenges, new frustrations, new desires, new rewards. It has changed me, and I am grateful for it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
If any of that 'builds character' than I really think it's due to the influence of the character of the people who train you, not the sport itself. But in that way, chess can build character, as well, if the right person is teaching you.

Well put!

Developing character depends on good tenets (code of ethics), exploration and discussion of such, open conversation about real-life applications (which requires a family-based atmosphere) and extra-curriculur inclusion.

Character can also develop with behavior control - such as encouraging and reinforcing certain martial arts traditions, such as the ones of respect and heirarchy; giving someone a place in a socially structured environment lends a certain psychology to placement in an order in development and can often just be the trigger one needs.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find that my character evolves daily. While it's true that my base character was guided and influenced in my youth, it continues to get modified day to day, as I see fit. Sometimes added to, sometimes gleaned from.

Has martial arts contributed to it? Yes, it has. It has taught me some worthy things that I have tried to incorporate into my psyche and daily life; such as increased perseverance, determination and honor. It's not that these things were not present; they've been enhanced by my participation in MA.

Not everyone responds to character building the same way, though:

Attachments

• $15.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 162

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe charactor is a trait that is borught upon you in your early stages, the problem with most is by the time the hit teenager age they have to fit in with the crowd or they think so. Then in mid life they reflect back on the building blocks thewre parents put in them and go from there.

This is one reason so many MA'ist have left MA in there teen years only to return in ther thirty for there training. Those that have that leadership ability in them stay the course for they need no re assureance from there peers.

MA is a great way to help preserve those quality but anything in life can build those qualitys back, a cook or a nurse or even a construction worker, your foundation is the way your life will be, which as I said earlier is brought to you at an early age.

Terry

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Anything that tests your spirit or pushes you to go beyond to achive a goal or rethink what you are doing builds and makes just a little better person each time. We see things good and bad all through life how we look at those things and deal with them helps too who we are. M/A Deals with training mind and body. With out both being trained a person does not improve or sucseed as well in M/A or life as well.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some times just they learning not to stop but to continue untill a task ( goal) is reached can be a turning point in someones life.
Other things that could be in the character building:
learning that you are not alone in the challenges you face (in life and class)
Learning to listen with all your senes not just your eyes
Learning respect for others
Learning to think on your feet and not just jump head first into things

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that, for those fortunate enough to have learned character values (ethics, morality, etc.) at home, that a good MA (and more, a good instructor) can be a way to express and/or apply those values. For those not so fortunate, a good MA can be a way to learn those values - as can any other activity a person can be involved in which s/he comes into long-term, repeated contact with any person who can serve as a role model. The activity itself is not the key factor; the role model is.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember a quote that says something like "you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with." I think theres a lot of truth in that. Your upbringing is the base of your character, but its the influences that you are subject to day in and day out that make a big impact. Be careful who you associate with.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

What does that mean? What is this "Character" we are supposed to be building, and how do we do it? ... So what is it, what actually builds it?

My comments might be similar to what others have already said; perhaps with a different perspective, but I'll say it anyway and see if anyone agrees.

I view this word "character" as being a loose term we often use to describe something more without actually saying it. A person's "character" is how they act in any given situation; their choices, priorities, values. It is your personality traits that people know you by, and that make you unique from most people, and similar to others.

I compare this to the "role" associated with a "character" in a play or movie. An actor reads the description of a character, and then auditions for that part. The actor portrays the character by saying certain lines, and acting in a manner consistant with that "character's personality traits."

What is often left unsaid is that a person's "character traits" can be viewed as good or bad (others here have touched on this as well). We develop our "Character" throughout our lives, from birth, to early childhood, teen years, and adulthood. Any activity, and every person we come in contact with can influence the type of Charater we choose to become (even movies, books, video games, and yes.... the dreaded internet). Some of those choices are conscious, while others, we are unaware of the change or the source of the influence (that's what psycho-therapy is for :) ).

Anything that we, as individuals, or that society deems as positive, or acceptable behavior becomes desirable as Character Traits. A person might willingly adopt those norms, or reject and rebel against them. While it is true that our environment, circumstances, and peers (or role models) often times influences the psycological conditioning of our brains to behave in certain ways, many people develop good, or bad, character traits despite the influences around them.

There are those who live in the ghetto, and become a person of low character (dishonest, disloyal, etc) because of the lack of social structure, and positive role models. On one hand, all it takes is one positive role model in that person's life to make a difference (a parent, teacher, minister, friend, community leader, etc.), and to help guide, inspire, and drive that person up to a successful life. On the other hand, some people have brought themselves out of adverse conditions irregardless of the negativity around them.

The same is true for positive influences. Most people are inspired by successful role models, or positive comments to boost their confidence, or a good parent or teacher who shows them right from wrong, and why it is important to do the right thing. Yet, even in the best of environments, some people still choose to be evil, or do dishonest and unethical deeds.

I think it is safe to say that the benefit of a positive role model, coupled with challenging, educational, and inspirational activities provides the best influence, and a greater chance of success. An excellent role model can succeed without a proper venue or activity, and a well structured activity can produce positive results even in the presence of poor leadership, but the two together stand the best chance, in my opinion.

Not just "Character," but building "Good Character" is knowing right from wrong, positive from negative, and always choosing to do the right thing. Integrity is the strength of your will power to resist temptation and compromise your ethics, or easily change your values. People develop good character by participating in positve activities, learning from positive sources, choosing to reject negative influences, and conditioning our brains to respond to situations in a manner that is consitant with both our personal values, and core ethics. A properly run Martial Art program, administered under the guidance of a good instructor will tend to yield the best results in my opinion.

CM D. J. Eisenhart

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Last Fearner dropping the science! Well done!
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions