"Building character"

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think so. It's like preaching to the choir. Those people volunteer to do those activities, so it's like they already buy into those mindsets. The negative stuff will go on and does, look at the pro's. It comes down to the individuals.

Wish this were true. In Bellmore, Long Island, larger members of a high school football team on a retreat sexually abused and sodomized the smaller members of the team while the rest of the team (at least 50 boys) looked on and did nothing--and the coaches should have seen it coming a mile away. Members of the Duke lacrosse team beat and raped an exotic dancer at a party; two were just arrested.

No, I don't think it's just a few bad apples. I think it's a few bad apples, a diseased orchard, and a perverted gardener. Fathers beat each other up at the local peewee soccer game. Kids get accepted to colleges (with free tuition) that they don't have the grades for because they can throw a ball. Pros throw tantrums on the field and get a slap on the wrist. Anabolic steroids substitute for talent and hard work. Not to mention that they're earning $7 million a year, while teachers, nurses, and police officers won't earn that in their entire lifetime. This tells kids, teens, and young adults that athletes are permitted to behave in ways that would be unacceptable anywhere else.

Character has to start in the home, and it has to be modeled, taught, and demanded in the gyms, dojos and arenas.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my non-martial arts life, I work with kids who do not have good character values being taught to them at home. And I know, with the measure certainty of my Master's thesis and from countless other studies on this, that it is possible to build character values in students.

The process is slow, and you don't always see immediate change, but there is an effective shift in behavior and general outlook. The trick is to make the effects cumulative. These kids need positive relationships where proper behavior can be modeled by a person that they respect. The more they get of this, the better.

Why couldn't a martial arts class provide this sort of thing to children? The answer is that it does. I've had plenty of "at-risk" youth roll through my dojo and the training had a positive impact on each and every one of them.

If you aren't experiencing success, then I suggest you learn something about who you trying to teach and give it another go with a different approach. For starters, go to the library and check out...

A Framework for Understanding Poverty - by Ruby Payne

The bottom line is that it is possible to offset negative influences with positive ones.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The answer is that it does. I've had plenty of "at-risk" youth roll through my dojo and the training had a positive impact on each and every one of them.

Is that because you taught them a sidekick? Or because you taught them a sidekick? Is it because of the martial arts or because of your involvement and example in their lives? Would it the same if you taught them to play piano? Or to paint? or to repair cars? Or anything that takes time, discipline and some pressuring to learn to do well?

I hate to say but I think it's the example of a precense of the teachers and instructors in peoples lives that 'character' is established...not that they are learning martial arts but that they are being taught martial arts

Otherwise, we would never see students quit, would never see McDojo, would never see cheap shots in sparring, would never see young punks with more skills that maturity causing trouble with what they learned from an instructor whow didn't care, as many of you obviously really do

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Building Character: Building a very positive person with an winning attitude. To be honest,trustworthy,loyal,spirited,respectful,helpful, and caring.

Building up our students to be mature with a solid attitude. Teaching them never to give up...success goes to those who keep trying.

These are my thoughts when it comes to building our students character. ..Aloha

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've played plenty of sports but none of them come close to comparing with my MA training when it comes to building character.
Sports are about competition and winning. Sure some positive character building can come out of the dedicated application of yourself to such an activity.
Not all MA are included, but Japanese Budo for one, is more than just competition or self defence. Its an art of self perfection. Hence the use of the term "do". It implies a path of dedication to perfection. Just like sado is about more than just making a good cup of tea. Budo is about more than just learning to kick and punch.
Read the writings of any of the great Budo masters and their message on the importance of polishing ones character is very clear. Building of character is a fundamental goal of budo training. With regular sports its just a side benefit.
These concepts have been passed down from Instructor to student, and reinforced by the positive rolemodels that many great MArtists have been. Of course there have been plenty of "bad apples" too. We're all human after all.
To compare Budo to competitive sports in terms of character development is to do it a dis service. And to compare it to chess!??? :0
Just the opinion of this romantic, pig headed ol fossil.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Is that because you taught them a sidekick? Or because you taught them a sidekick? Is it because of the martial arts or because of your involvement and example in their lives?

The teaching relationship developed is essential for getting "the point" across to people. This is why I keep the numbers down in my school, so this has time to develop. The technique itself can have some effect, however, becuase the sense of accomplishment that goes along with developing a skill can be very worthwhile.

Would it the same if you taught them to play piano? Or to paint? or to repair cars? Or anything that takes time, discipline and some pressuring to learn to do well?

From a technical perspective, no. A sense of accomplishment and pride can be fostered by practicing anything. MA, however, focuses on violence...and there are certainly many negative behaviors that a youth can develop. Part of a good MA class should focus on correcting these behaviors, IMO.

All of THAT depends on the relationship, though. Being involved in their life and showing them that you care is part of it...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One of the best ways to find out your "character" is look at the people you hang around with daily. Study them....and you will see yourself, (your best friends). Psychology 101

If they are honest..you are honest
If they are hard working..you are hard working
If they are responsible and caring..you are the same way
If they are someone you enjoy being with..they feel the same way
They are your friends because of of your "character" traits you have!

Now if you are bad,do drugs,hate others,always want to get into a fight...than most likely your best friends are this way too!

Building good character..takes hard work..role models to follow..positive people around you..and determination to do the right things in life and you care about yourself as a person!

Good characters are not for sale..cannot be brought.. comes with no guarrantee for life, must be maintain, and earn! Takes practice too!

Now for you bad guys..I have good guys character certificate's? comes with no guarrantees's, may not last long, 10 x12 frame included, send $ money to the wise guy...... (not to be use for jobs app's) ....

For free "character" ....samples...see Aloha spirit ......Aloha

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
For me Wing Chun has helped me develope patience and to "feel" a situation out more than to over analyze it. Wing Chun has also taught me how to question what is being taught and figure out it's purpose/applications + when and where it can be applied. Through Wing Chun I have learned to relax a whole lot more (and I still have a long way to go!). Wing Chun is still teaching me about balance ying/Yang. So I am still a work in progress. Basically Wing Chun is training me to work correctly in a box b4 learning how to work outside of that box correctly.

As for Boxing, I am learning to understand the values of working hard in order to reach my goals. Boxing is teaching me never ever to give up regardless of what others have to say or regardless of how tough the task is.
I remember for the first time coming into the boxing gym, seeing all the guys and girls skipping so fast and with ease. I assumed i was not capable of that. 3 weeks later "I" was skipping rope good! I am even able to do the "jogging style" of skipping now with one leg for each hope as if I'm jogging forward and backward. I just had to put some effort into it and it eventually came.

I'll just keep this short and sweet= the two sweet sciences (boxing/Wing Chun) has taught me intense focus with the patience and relaxed demeanor of a tiger waiting for its prey. :)

Hi Ric

I'm doing Wing Chun too and I agree with everything you say! I also do Shaolin Long fist which i've been doign for over 7 years. I am learning ro relax more in Wing Chun and I am finding it is greatly improving me in my other art. My Wing Chun instructor says everyone in the class is equal and no one is out to prove themselves so egos are non existent. IN my other class theres some harmless playfulness but no bad feeling which I like.
I do however have a friend who started very late in Martial Arts and is still highly strung and over competitive! He loves to fight and I believe he has no place in Martial Arts with his mindset. He studies Taekwondo and believes it to be the ultimate Martial Art! He seems to have a good instructor but i can't think why he allows my friend to continue because he has no control when sparring although he argues that his opponents use a lot of force themselves. He told me he has been banned form sparring for 2 weeks and this seemed to make him proud. Although I am not so bad at sparring,i am very flexible and i have a lot of knowledge i wouldn't want to spar with him but then again I don't know how i'd fair!
In my class i spar with people and although i hate to lose i do respect other people's skill and even compliment them. You see we learn not only from out teacher but form each other as well. What we learn in class, the respect and discipline and humilty we should integrate in our daily lives.
I can't believe my friend who has been studying taekwondo for 5 years is soon to be a black belt when he isn't seeting a good example to the younger students.

Latest Discussions