Budweiser Select 55. . . delicious?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gotta laugh at this InBev-AB press release as they try to compete with beer flavored seltzer water competitor MGD64. It includes the phrase "delicious calorie-conscious foods and beverages". Delicious and calorie-conscious are at odds with each other. Even delicious raw fruits and vegetables are loaded with calories.

If skimpy on flavor. . . .errr. . . calories in a beer is your thing, and, unless "Select 55" costs half the price of Budeweiser's craptastic Bud Light (or Miller Lite), go ahead and buy the "Light" beer and water it down even more. But, if you really want a beer, I think the best option is to support a craft brewer (it's good to buy local) and enjoy a good flavorful drink, then treat yourself to a nice walk.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/08-10-2009/0005075115&EDATE=

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
They might as well start selling beer teabags. Just dunk'em in a glass of tap water. Thank God for microbrews!

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They might as well start selling beer teabags. Just dunk'em in a glass of tap water. Thank God for microbrews!

LOL! Speaking of teabags; MillerCoors advertises Miller Lite as being "triple-hopped". I imagine some guy with a hop in a teabag dunking it three times in a batch, then hanging the teabag up to dry and waiting for the next batch.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL! Speaking of teabags; MillerCoors advertises Miller Lite as being "triple-hopped". I imagine some guy with a hop in a teabag dunking it three times in a batch, then hanging the teabag up to dry and waiting for the next batch.

I heard those ads on the radio. I figured it meant they used three hop clusters per vat.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dudes, we are talking about Budweiser. To the average drinker of that beer, when you say "teabags to make the beer" that takes on a whole different meaning. LOL!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Beer tangent...I picked up some Sam Adams Summer Ale early this summer. I have to say that I like it.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
My new favorite is 1554 by New Belgium. My favorite would be Three Philosophers Quadruppel by Ommegang, but for the fact that it's like $12-$15 for a four-pack. :erg:

Anyone tried the Budweiser Ale yet? Any good?

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only thing I've had from New Belgium is Fat Tire. A friend grabbed a bunch of it in Indiana or Illinois (they don't sell in Michigan) in cans to bring to a music festival that didn't allow glass. I do have some New Belgium glassware that was a Christmas present from the same friend. I've heard good things about Ommegang's offerings. As far as Belgian style goes, I have a bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue) in the fridge. And I have recently enjoyed Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde and Dark Horse's Sapient Trip Ale.

I've had the Budweiser Ale, it tastes like an ale that Budweiser would make. Actually, for being only about 5% ABV, it seems to give me a buzz a little quicker than stuff of similar alcohol levels.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The wife and I hit the local microfestivus a couple of weekends ago. It's a tradition I haven't missed in years. Now, I'm usually a Guinness drinker so it may come as no surprise that I found a mirco-brew stout that was great. It was a bourbon barrel stout. I actually went to a local store that prides itself on having a great stock of beer and bought a four pack.

As for Bud select... you said low cal and delicious don't go together... neither does Bud and delicious. ;)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only thing I've had from New Belgium is Fat Tire. A friend grabbed a bunch of it in Indiana or Illinois (they don't sell in Michigan) in cans to bring to a music festival that didn't allow glass. I do have some New Belgium glassware that was a Christmas present from the same friend. I've heard good things about Ommegang's offerings. As far as Belgian style goes, I have a bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue) in the fridge. And I have recently enjoyed Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde and Dark Horse's Sapient Trip Ale.

Never heard of those last two, I'll have to check them out.

I've had the Budweiser Ale, it tastes like an ale that Budweiser would make. Actually, for being only about 5% ABV, it seems to give me a buzz a little quicker than stuff of similar alcohol levels.

That, my friend, is damning with faint praise. :rofl:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
guinness%5B1%5D(1).jpg

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The wife and I hit the local microfestivus a couple of weekends ago. It's a tradition I haven't missed in years. Now, I'm usually a Guinness drinker so it may come as no surprise that I found a mirco-brew stout that was great. It was a bourbon barrel stout. I actually went to a local store that prides itself on having a great stock of beer and bought a four pack.

As for Bud select... you said low cal and delicious don't go together... neither does Bud and delicious. ;)

It wouldn't happen to be Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout, would it? Founder's also makes a Canadian Breakfast Stout that is aged in whisky barrels. Both are pretty darn good too. When you get into those you will never again consider Guinness as a heavy dark beer!

It's considered a brown ale, but I suggest checking out Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron. It is aged in a palo santo wood, which gives it a very distinctive flavor.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It wouldn't happen to be Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout, would it? Founder's also makes a Canadian Breakfast Stout that is aged in whisky barrels. Both are pretty darn good too. When you get into those you will never again consider Guinness as a heavy dark beer!

It's considered a brown ale, but I suggest checking out Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron. It is aged in a palo santo wood, which gives it a very distinctive flavor.
No, it's Jefferson's Reserve from Bluegrass Brewing Company. Pretty good. I get teased at the bar (on the rare occassions when I go) for drinking the Guinness... they ask if I want a spoon with it. I just smile and think about their flavored water and get on with enjoying my stout.

Xue, I drooled on the keyboard thanks to your picture.

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it's Jefferson's Reserve from Bluegrass Brewing Company. Pretty good. I get teased at the bar (on the rare occassions when I go) for drinking the Guinness... they ask if I want a spoon with it. I just smile and think about their flavored water and get on with enjoying my stout.

They must judge Guinness on its looks, because it certainly isn't heavy. Guinness is actually pretty light and frothy. Have them bend that spoon and pour the lighter Guinness over a Harp Lager or Bass Pale Ale to make you a black and tan. ;-)

A friend told me the other day, "I don't like dark beers." I replied half jokingly, "Dark isn't a flavor."

Right now I like the hoppy IPAs like Bell's Two Hearted, Founder's Double Trouble, Short's Humalupalicious, and Stone's Arrogant Bastard and Ruination.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They must judge Guinness on its looks, because it certainly isn't heavy. Guinness is actually pretty light and frothy. Have them bend that spoon and pour the lighter Guinness over a Harp Lager or Bass Pale Ale to make you a black and tan. ;-)

Or pour it over a Fin Du Monde and you'll have something with one hell of a kick. ;)

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or pour it over a Fin Du Monde and you'll have something with one hell of a kick. ;)

Now that would make for a heavier drink! I don't have any Guinness Stout, but I do have a La Fin Du Monde (9% ABV) and a few bombers of Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout (13% ABV). Hmmmmm. . . I wonder. . .

Latest Discussions