Buddhist thought in practice and learning

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless a student has grown up with Buddhist, Taoist, and Confucianistic philosophy as a part of his/her cultural heritage and/or unless that student was explicitly and implicitly taught these philosophies throughout many years by an instructor of Taekwondo, I think it would be very difficult for the student to recognize these philosophies within the art of Taekwondo. I would hazard to guess that most Western Taekwondoin must purposefully research these philosophies before they will become able to recognize their role in the learning and practice of Taekwondo. Furthermore, if students do not seek out philosophical knowledge from as close to the original source as possible (e.g., the philosophy that the Buddha actually taught before Buddhist philosophy was altered into various beliefs and practices held by the members of various religious sects), then they may forever misconstrue what Buddhist philosophy originally was and be unable to recognize and understand an encounter with it in the practice of Taekwondo.

Cynthia

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I studied Fine Art at college and as part of that we had to look into theory and thought and philosophy to support the ideas that we were putting behind our work. I did abstract painting, and I used to do it in a kind of subconscious way, thinking about it brought me to the Tao Te Ching and Zen philosophy. At the time I had just given up Tang Soo Do and Judo, and I can say that when I started reading the Tao, the idea of Zen was already familiar to me from studying Tang Soo Do, but the philosophies of how to live your life were not so. Currently, I can still see the idea of Zen in how we practice, but it's not really given in a Buddhist way if you get my meaning. It's more like 'You're struggling with this technique because you are thinking too much about it.' Or "You struggle because you want it too much.' To me, that sounds like Zen or perhaps Mushin (Isn't Mushin part of Zen though?), and yes, it's a single principle that we do use.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I studied Fine Art at college and as part of that we had to look into theory and thought and philosophy to support the ideas that we were putting behind our work. I did abstract painting, and I used to do it in a kind of subconscious way, thinking about it brought me to the Tao Te Ching and Zen philosophy. At the time I had just given up Tang Soo Do and Judo, and I can say that when I started reading the Tao, the idea of Zen was already familiar to me from studying Tang Soo Do, but the philosophies of how to live your life were not so. Currently, I can still see the idea of Zen in how we practice, but it's not really given in a Buddhist way if you get my meaning. It's more like 'You're struggling with this technique because you are thinking too much about it.' Or "You struggle because you want it too much.' To me, that sounds like Zen or perhaps Mushin (Isn't Mushin part of Zen though?), and yes, it's a single principle that we do use.

Right, I never mention the name Buddha to my students, I don't want anyone to think I am attempting to teach religion when I am not. I want them to understand the principle of the philosophy, attributing it to Buddha is not really necessary. However, when I discuss these things with my instructors or other instructors, I mention Buddha quite often because he was such a great teacher. I do not see Buddha as a religious figure. That said, I think what you notice is pointed out by Bodhidharma. Some consider him to be something akin to the 1st martial arts instructor and the 1st patriarch of Zen.

"Before Bodhidharma, the study of Buddha’s teaching resulted in a deep and lofty philosophy of Buddhism, and people tried to attain its high ideal. This is a mistake. Bodhidharma discovered that it was a mistake to create some lofty or deep idea and then try to attain it by the practice of zazen. If that is our zazen, it is nothing different from our usual activity, or monkey mind. It looks like a very good, a very lofty and holy activity, but actually there is no difference between it and our monkey mind. That is the point that Bodhidharma emphasized" ~
Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind, by Shunryu Suzuki, Weatherhill, 1973, p. 101

Latest Discussions