Bu and the essence of Budo...

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This question was Asked by our one and only beloved Tony, our new Shorinji Kempo expert. Sorry Tony that I am a couple of days late but been busy with family health problems. The following is my view on the subject. Furthermore, This view reflect the Asian philosophy of Budo as I understand it, and may be different of the western practitioners.

Budo- (Bujutsu ° Budo)

"Do"- Way-Harmonious unification of mind, body, and spirit.

"Bu"- Practice or use of weapons natural or auxiliary.

Spiritual development of the individuality in mind and body is the motto of a Budoka.

"Jutsu"-Technique, initially developed as a method of fighting to dispose of an adversary in the most efficient way in the asian culture, it has evolved through centuries and infused with the Zen philosophy to become a way of life, where ones goal is to further develop the mind, the body and the spirit.

From its origin, "Jutsu" limited to distroying others, could not liberate one of the most fundamental fear of man,"the fear of death". So through the Zen, the object of "jutsu" has changed from others to oneself."Do"

"Jutsu" would become a mean of perfecting the body. Hence, to reach this perfection, the concentration of mind and body is required. In the end, the original goal of killing has become one of living.

To reach this complete harmonious stage of ones unification of mind and body, "jutsu" needs to be practiced all the time and under different circumstances. When spontaneity is achieved, the mind will be free of the task of controlling the execution of "jutsu"-technique.

The road to this state is certainly a long one, and for some may never be reached, but through this quest, man/woman can build a strong and healthy body and mind. By confronting this task, fortitude, humility, respect, compassion, gratitude towards the fellowman/woman can be achieved. These qualities then can be transposed to everyday life, helping to fulfill commitments to oneself and society.

Couple of more questions Tony asked:

"What is the difference between tsuki ten san and keri ten san?"
"What is the difference between harai uke geri and gedan gaeshi?

Although these terminologies may be unique to Shorinji Kempo, the method of execution may be the same or close in other systems.

May be if Tony cares to explain these, I might then point to the similarities among
various systems.

The meanings of "Soto Ude Uke"(inward block) and "uchi ude uke"(outward block) in different systems of Karate/kobudo are opposites at times.

Lastly;

"you cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the other shore"

Salute,

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by kenmpoka
Budo- (Bujutsu ° Budo)

"Do"- Way-Harmonious unification of mind, body, and spirit.

"Bu"- Practice or use of weapons natural or auxiliary.

Spiritual development of the individuality in mind and body is the motto of a Budoka.

"Jutsu"-Technique, initially developed as a method of fighting to dispose of an adversary in the most efficient way in the asian culture, it has evolved through centuries and infused with the Zen philosophy to become a way of life, where ones goal is to further develop the mind, the body and the spirit.

From its origin, "Jutsu" limited to distroying others, could not liberate one of the most fundamental fear of man,"the fear of death". So through the Zen, the object of "jutsu" has changed from others to oneself."Do"

"Jutsu" would become a mean of perfecting the body. Hence, to reach this perfection, the concentration of mind and body is required. In the end, the original goal of killing has become one of living.

To reach this complete harmonious stage of ones unification of mind and body, "jutsu" needs to be practiced all the time and under different circumstances. When spontaneity is achieved, the mind will be free of the task of controlling the execution of "jutsu"-technique.

The road to this state is certainly a long one, and for some may never be reached, but through this quest, man/woman can build a strong and healthy body and mind. By confronting this task, fortitude, humility, respect, compassion, gratitude towards the fellowman/woman can be achieved. These qualities then can be transposed to everyday life, helping to fulfill commitments to oneself and society.
Bujutsu and budo are completely different things.
"Bu" comprises three elements: the number two, representing two people, a spear, denoting fighting, and the verb "to stop". Do, as you say, is "the way", so budo is the "way two people stop fighting".
Your supposed Shorinji Kempo sources should have known that. (Or didn't you ask them.)
Couple of more questions Tony asked:

"What is the difference between tsuki ten san and keri ten san?"
"What is the difference between harai uke geri and gedan gaeshi?

Although these terminologies may be unique to Shorinji Kempo, the method of execution may be the same or close in other systems.
Which is not relevant. You claimed knowledge of Shorinji Kempo; that's why I asked the question. The difference has to do with weight distribution.
The meanings of "Soto Ude Uke"(inward block) and "uchi ude uke"(outward block) in different systems of Karate/kobudo are opposites at times.
These terms mean nothing to me; we don't use them in Shorinji Kempo.
BTW, "soto" is "outside", so "soto ude uke" litereally means, "outside arm block", and "uchi ude uke" means "inside arm block".
In Shotokan Karate at least, "soto" and "uchi" are used to mean what we call "ura" and "omote" in Shorinji Kempo, thereby adding to the confusion.
Remember: this is a Shorinji Kempo forum, not a karate one.

OP
K

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
Bujutsu and budo are completely different things.
"Bu" comprises three elements: the number two, representing two people, a spear, denoting fighting, and the verb "to stop". Do, as you say, is "the way", so budo is the "way two people stop fighting".

I said that reread my post. Or here you go:

"Jutsu", would become a mean of perfecting the body. Hence to reach this perfection, the concentration of mind/spirit and body is required. In the end the original goal of killing has become one of living."

Tony I don't buy your Top Dog, mine is bigger than yours attitude. Answer my previous questions and stop shooting blanks. Here are couple more for you:

1-Who is/are your Master(s)?
2-How old are you?
3-Have you been at this, 19 whole straight years?

REREAD MY POSTS. I AM NOT GOING TO ENGAGE IN ARGUMENTS OVER YOU WITH OTHERS ON THIS FORUM. GO RELIEVE SOME OF YOUR STRESS OR HAVE YOU TAKEN AN OATH ON THAT AS WELL!!!???

K

Kimpatsu

"Jutsu", would become a mean of perfecting the body. Hence to reach this perfection, the concentration of mind/spirit and body is required. In the end the original goal of killing has become one of living."
I asked about buDO, not BuJUTSU. And your explanation was wrong. It would fail a Shorinji Kempo grading, although you think you know more about Shorinji Kempo than I do. :rolleyes:
Tony I don't buy your Top Dog, mine is bigger than yours attitude. Answer my previous questions and stop shooting blanks. Here are couple more for you:
What are your questions? I can't find any among the drivel. All I see are statements from you about Shorinji Kempo that are totally incorrect.
1-Who is/are your Master(s)?
I started under Mizuno Sensei in the UK, and trained with him for approx. 9 years until I made 2nd dan. Then I cam to Japan. I currently train at the Kokubunji Doin in Tokyo under Morikawa Sensei.
Of course, training at Hombu and other national and international events means training under such luminaries as Kawashima Sensei, Aosaka Sensei (head of France), Arai Sensei, and Yamasaki Sensei.
2-How old are you?
3-Have you been at this, 19 whole straight years?
Yes.
REREAD MY POSTS. I AM NOT GOING TO ENGAGE IN ARGUMENTS OVER YOU WITH OTHERS ON THIS FORUM. GO RELIEVE SOME OF YOUR STRESS OR HAVE YOU TAKEN AN OATH ON THAT AS WELL!!!???
Then just admit that you don't know anything about Shorinji Kempo. What galls me is that you don't ask questions, you make statements about the art, which are factually incorrect.
And, why are you SHOUTING?

Latest Discussions