Question on Shorinji Kempo

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is this art supposed to be an actual lineage holder in a Shaolin tradition or is it a derivative?

P

pknox

Originally posted by Kodanjaclay
Is this art supposed to be an actual lineage holder in a Shaolin tradition or is it a derivative?

What art?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was on Shorinji Kempo. (When I moved the posts out of the forum I missed removing the forum...my apologies). I've edited the thread title to clarify things.

:asian:

P

pknox

Originally posted by Kodanjaclay

The art was founded by Doshin Sho, and is supposed to be at the very least derived from the Shaolin temple arts. I guess it really depends on if you're talking about lineage or techniques.

So was born in Japan in 1911, and after traveling to China at age 17, lived there for some time. While in China (Beijing) he studied with Wen Laoshi. So succeeded him as the 21st master of the Northern Shorinji Giwamonken school. At that point, So's system was well within the orthodox lineage of Shaolin. Once So took over, he added to the art moves he had learned from other systems, and renamed the system Shorinji Kempo.

After WWII, So changed the focus a bit, using Shorinji Kempo as a way to rebuild the character and morale of the recently defeated and therefore depressed Japanese. So later went on to found a Zen temple in Japan that had his martial art at the forefront of its teachings.

I guess the simple answer would be that Shorinji Kempo's founder has a direct lineage to Shaolin, and the foundation art upon which Shorinji Kempo takes many of its techniques is definitely Shaolin, the art that is currently taught as Shorinji Kempo has been modified a bit from the original Northern Shaolin temple teachings.

Note that I am not a practitioner of Shorinji Kempo, just someone who is somewhat interested in its history, so anyone who is a practitioner, please feel free to correct any mistakes I have made.

Latest Discussions