Bruce Lee is an excellent example of somebody who really pushed himself

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that if Bruce Lee were around today and didn't star in any movies he would be viewed as another MMA guy.

If Bruce Lee were alive today and didn't star in any movies he would likely be largely unknown outside of his local community. Or, he may have taken up XMA :D

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tushay Tez, tushay! My apologies.
Cross training has been done for thousands of years. Only recently has the community decided to give power to yet another label.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Tushay Tez, tushay! My apologies.
Cross training has been done for thousands of years. Only recently has the community decided to give power to yet another label.

Look at virtually every student of Dong Haichuan (13 October 1797 or 1813 — 25 October 1882) and you will see most (possibly all) trained another art rather extensively before going to train Baguazhang with him. And then look at the styles of Bagua his students came up with and taught. You will see major similarities but also some fairly big differences and those differences come from their prior training. One could also make an argument that was cross training as well

ALEX WHITE

White Belt
Reaction score
As a trained Wing Chun practitioner I know of the myths surrounding Bruce Lee, still even on his BEST DAY FIGHTING they say he still couldn't beat Ip Man or Wong Shun Leung, but whats a student without a master, he was one of the hardest training men IN HISTORY. I respect the legend with highest possible honors in my book. I and my friend don are 2 training machines who constantly train and always aim high with training.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a trained Wing Chun practitioner I know of the myths surrounding Bruce Lee, still even on his BEST DAY FIGHTING they say he still couldn't beat Ip Man or Wong Shun Leung, but whats a student without a master, he was one of the hardest training men IN HISTORY. I respect the legend with highest possible honors in my book. I and my friend don are 2 training machines who constantly train and always aim high with training.

That is very admirable, but anything can happen in a fight.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Who is "they."

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, as part of the "martial arts community" I certainly can't say it, who in the "martial arts community" says that he couldn't beat Ip Man or Wong Shun Leung?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Alex,

The following is said dispassionately, so please try to take it in that vein… what I'm intending here is to highlight a few things to you, to help you in your communication here, as well as highlighting one or two home truths...

As a trained Wing Chun practitioner I know of the myths surrounding Bruce Lee,

Okay, to clarify this, you aren't quite what many here would class as a "trained Wing Chun practitioner"… not yet, at least. At present, with two years experience, you're still very much new to this… you have some understanding of the system, sure, but I'm not sure that that little amount of time can class you as being particularly informed in this area. As for the stories around Bruce, you're 17, yeah? It might help to remember that there are members here who have trained with students and contemporaries of Bruce, if not Bruce himself… and certainly from around, or even before the time that Bruce was around.

This isn't to discredit you, but to demonstrate that you might be overreaching your knowledge in this case.

still even on his BEST DAY FIGHTING they say he still couldn't beat Ip Man or Wong Shun Leung,

As was asked, who is it that says anything like that? I haven't ever even come across anyone discussing this, let alone claiming who would win in any circumstances. I have come across certain Wing Chun practitioners downplay Bruce's experience and knowledge of Wing Chun… but that's quite a different thing entirely.

but whats a student without a master,

That depends on who the student is, and how far they went with their instructor in the first place, yeah? Of course, I'm not sure where the context for this comment is…

he was one of the hardest training men IN HISTORY.

Nor this… of course, the Spartan's might have disagreed… as would many, many others throughout history. Bruce might be one of the most well known from recent history in terms of his training methodology, but that's far from the same thing as saying that he was one of the hardest training persons in history…

My point is that overly dramatic rhetoric can lead you to claim some things that are very hard to support, or are outright incorrect. A more balanced look at things can be far more in line with reality, as well as being less likely to appear overly eager to push a single bias.

I respect the legend with highest possible honors in my book.

Okay. Of course, the legend and the man aren't necessarily the same thing…

I and my friend don are 2 training machines who constantly train and always aim high with training.

Hmm. Okay… to be frank, I get that you might think this, but I don't know that it would stack up against what others do… nor do I see any real relevance at all. I get that you're proud of your ethic and training mentality, which is great… but this comment has no bearing on the rest of your post, this thread, or anything similar, and has no support at all other than your (personal) impression.

Don't worry about impressing anyone here… it's really not necessary. Not only that, but talking about how intense your training is tends not to impress anyway… you'd be better served simply engaging in conversation, and talking about things from your level of experience.

All the best with the rest of your time on the forum here, and I look forward to seeing you around.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In terms of Bruce's ability in HK, I've heard both sides of the coin. My belief is that he impressed them. That's enough for me to give merit.

In regards to cross training as Xue mentioned, that is a common theme among many fists. Its the epitome of cross training in my opinion.but as the saying goes, "everything old becomes new."

D

Deleted member 32980

Yes. He is somebody.

"I'll be the most famous Chinese star ever"

That's from memory, can't remember the whole thing.

Latest Discussions