Bruce Lee is an excellent example of somebody who really pushed himself

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
The real question is of course which Bruce is the baddest, Lee or Wayne? :nailbiting:

pzNyADfu_2509130534411.jpg

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Indeed Blindside. Not to mention Iirc Kato only managed a draw vs Robin and Batman surely must be a notch above the Boy Wonder.

Robin&Cato.jpg

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
...But JKD was simply a retooling of what he had learned from WC. He spent only a few years learning WC before he was cut off from the source so he "recreated the wheel". He researched other methods and applied WC theory to them. Even the name "Way of the Intercepting Fist" is a WC principle...
I am in complete agreement. I wanted to add that it is rumored that Bruce finished his WC training under the tutelage of Fook Yeung in the Hei Ban WC system. He's also credited to have taught Bruce a few tanglang sets, and some performance techs for film. Wish I knew more of his time with Yeung!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Indeed Blindside. Not to mention Iirc Kato only managed a draw vs Robin and Batman surely must be a notch above the Boy Wonder.

Robin&Cato.jpg

Actually saw an interview with one of the people from the TV show "Batman" I think it was either the director of that episode or the producer. Apparently Burt Ward was terrified going into this "staged" fight with Bruce Lee and more than once during filming he jump out of the way

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have only begun my studies on JKDC and the history of Bruce. But what I admire most - even beyond his physical skills (real and embellished AD) was his dedication to research and taking the best from other systems. If he saw something that could work (in real world), he took those parts into his system. He read so many books, studied so many boxing films always wanting to find the best. I understand he had a great ego in some respects ... but also not an ego when it came to one approach to martial arts, he never got stuck into a way....and was always examining his approaches and assumptions, improving. He broke out of strict classical boundaries. I think I personally enjoy being allowed to think this way - even challenging my instructors a little and adjusting my focus on certain things that work for me.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that any, let alone many of the modern mma fighters could give Bruce Lee a run for his money. No doubt there's people that can rival him but give him a run for his money, that would be a long shot, a big long shot. From what I know about Bruce's physical capabilities he could send a man weighing over 200 lbs flying with a one inch punch, that was with just a one inch punch. He could sidekick a 300 lb bag and send it slamming against the ceiling. There's been accounts of him sending linebackers flying across a swimming pool and almost hitting the other end with a kick, when the linebackers were holding big kicking shields. He was fast enough to ride in a jab. If you were to throw in a jab he could move back out of your reach and then move in with your hand as you retract it and be on top of you. He was sometimes told to slow down in his fight scenes in the movies because he was moving too fast for the audience to follow. So, to say a modern MMA fighter could give him a run for his money, perhaps only if they fought under rules that favored the MMA fighter and not Bruce. Otherwise, I seriously doubt it.

But then, Bruce Lee is the epitome of hard work and devotion. There would be times when he would be training, his friends would ask if he wanted to go out with them for pizza and he would say he was too busy training, then when his friends came back from pizza he would say he was almost done before he switches to his other hand. It would be hard to beat anybody who puts that level of devotion into the martial arts.

Oh boy...
Jackie Chan - Copy.jpg

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually saw an interview with one of the people from the TV show "Batman" I think it was either the director of that episode or the producer. Apparently Burt Ward was terrified going into this "staged" fight with Bruce Lee and more than once during filming he jump out of the way

I think in the first script for the scene Kato was actually supposed to lose the fight. Because of this Lee was pretending to be extremely pissed off and agressive at Burt, apparantly he scared him and the others enough that they changed the outcome to a draw :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think in the first script for the scene Kato was actually supposed to lose the fight. Because of this Lee was pretending to be extremely pissed off and agressive at Burt, apparantly he scared him and the others enough that they changed the outcome to a draw :D

I believe you are right, I seem to remember that being talked about as well

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that if Bruce Lee were around today and didn't star in any movies he would be viewed as another MMA guy.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The term is so generic that anyone can be viewed as an MMA guy. :)

Yup, but I am about to start a MMA Sub-system.....CMMA...Chinese Mixed Martial Arts...because I trained Long Fist, Sanda, Xingyi, Bagua and Taiji...oh wait a minute..... ICMMA..... Internal Chinese Mixed Martial Arts...because I trained Xingyi, Bagua and Taiji :D

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that if Bruce Lee were around today and didn't star in any movies he would be viewed as another MMA guy.
Possibly. He never really competed much in his lifetime, other than a bit of amateur boxing as a kid and a challenge match with Wong Jack Man, so I don't know whether he would have jumped into the MMA arena. Then again, without his film career as a path to stardom he might have more motivation to enter the fight game.

Latest Discussions