BRUCE CALKINS & THE EAGLE FEDERATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yes, I wonder how much they charged Chojun Miyagi.
Since Mr Miyagi is of course dead, and without a credit card I'll asume that it is a honorary membership. What is the advantage of that you ask? Well, finally people will begin to recognize Chojun Miyagi, due to the efforts of the eagle federation

Also it might seem to give a little weight to a board of directors that is a "little" light on credentioals, knowledge, history, lineage and legitimacy.

Seriously if you know any credible instructors on the site - do them a favor email and tell them that they are unintentionaly in the punchline of a very bad joke:mp5:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's an historical, and hereditary, title used for certain family arts (not necessarily martial)--it isn't given to everyone who creates a system nowadays. Think about it, have you ever heard anyone say Soke Kano or Soke Uyeshiba or Soke Funakoshi or...

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Dear Lord, please don't invite those "people" here. I don't think the server could handle the bandwidth required to view all their self-printed certificates, or the hot-air the'll be a-blowin to try and convince us that they really are Super-Sokes, Grand Knights of the Republic, and Super Senseis. I mean, it's hard to argue with someone who'se collected more white belts than Gates has bucks, to found a dozen super-elite fighting arts (1 a year), holds 12 10th dans, all before he wasn't yet not old enough to drink in most states.

Please, no more Power Ranger Senseis on MartialTalk. The few we've had have been almost more than my stomach can handle.

As to their website, yeah, it's crap. Definately a candidate for "WebSites that Suck". I would rank the quality of their site at about the true value of their certificates. If they were soft and absorbent, they would at least have a practical use around the house.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Someone could send them an e-mail, their address is provided on several pages of that site! Would be interesting to get another opinion on them.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
One doesn't need to open the barn door to know it stinks.....

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
who absolutly has no idea how to hold a Katanna or get into a decent fighting stance.
Apparently alot o' that over there. Maybe it has something to do with "The secret hand shake". :knight:

:popcorn:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it would increase the number of posts.... Look at how much Mr. Calkins has generated.... but is this really the sort of thing that is good for the industry?

Outsider - "Martial artists, yeah I've seen them, all they do is argue about who deserves what rank, and who lied about training with who... I'm not sure if they actually train though..."

Stupidity exists in everything, but in the martial arts world it sure rises to the surface quickly... How about we just leave it at the bottom and talk about fighting strategy or something?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Well it would increase the number of posts.... Look at how much Mr. Calkins has generated.... but is this really the sort of thing that is good for the industry?

Outsider - "Martial artists, yeah I've seen them, all they do is argue about who deserves what rank, and who lied about training with who... I'm not sure if they actually train though..."

Stupidity exists in everything, but in the martial arts world it sure rises to the surface quickly... How about we just leave it at the bottom and talk about fighting strategy or something?

Okay let's do nothing. Now Joe Average says "Hey this 10th degree can't punch his way out of a wet paper bag, so the martial arts don't work". But it gets better he is also talking about Kung Fu telekinses!!
So now it's though Martial Artists can't fight and get into weird mediation things-oh. man now we look good!

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
My Suggestion is Log Into His Site and ask Him. Every time i answer a question in these forums No body likes my answers and I get a BS flag... so Ask Him...

http://www.eaglefederation.com/eaglefed/martialarts/emaf/
From this link on the site you have posted.
For a small membership fee you or your nominee will receive a beautiful certificate of knighthood, suitable for framing, and be officially enrolled in our register of knights.
So, what's the value of this?

More importantly, why on earth would any self respecting martial artist choose to be affilited with such a program? Sounds like mass marketing over artistic integrity to me. In fact, it seems to me to be more about a sad attempt at recognition and legitimacy.

Why are people so insecure?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow... dude started TKD the year I graduated high school... 7 years after I started MA... earned a whole 2nd degree in TKD (which I did in 88) & then founded a style. I'm such a slacker in comparison...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
I'm such a slacker in comparison...
Heh. Yes, don't people consider that if everyone has their own style, then the old styles will die out? Personally, I like tradition!

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Heh. Yes, don't people consider that if everyone has their own style, then the old styles will die out? Personally, I like tradition!
Oh believe me... I'm so about tradition it's not funny.

These new "pseudo-founders" aka "Blend-o-matic Schools" just make me laugh...

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Knighthoods generally come from a font of honour...I think that what the Knights of Columbus means by it is a little bit different than a knighthood per se, so that one may be addressed as Sir John, etc.
I know, but perhaps the "Eagle" site refers to its members as knights as the "Knights Of Columbus" does.

Also. if anyone is interested in becoming a Jedi Knight;
http://www.geocities.com/JaysJediTrainingClub/Help.html

I had pondered if one is a soke, knoght, or royalty into one. Would the title be:

Sir Soke?
Duke Soke?

Born and living in New Orleans, Louisiana-USA for the first 20 years of my life, Mardi Gras Krewes had royal courts. Kings, Queens, Dukes, and Knights. I guess the "Eagle" knights are not claiming "blue blood" or "lineage" knighthood.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
He is also probably the only member of the phantom of the opera style out there
:rofl:

Will that be abbreviated to POS? Another abbreviation for?.......

One of the tactics of POS is to knock down the opponent and run your fingers along his spine like a organ.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Born and living in New Orleans, Louisiana-USA for the first 20 years of my life, Mardi Gras Krewes had royal courts. Kings, Queens, Dukes, and Knights. I guess the "Eagle" knights are not claiming "blue blood" or "lineage" knighthood.
Knighthoods aren't hereditary like baronetcies are.

When you mentioned the deep South, and Duke, I thought you were going to mention the imbecilic Knights of David Duke's favorite organization. Then I read more carefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions