brothers and sisters

B

Blackdragon

Hello fellow WC practitioners! I have a question kinda off the side.
In my class, we refer to each other as brothers or sisters(i.e.-brother Josh, sister Jessica,etc.) as a form of respect towards one another. Sifu's are still called Sifu's.
Does anyone elses schools do this?

Thanks for your time and goodluck on your WC training!

Your brother in training:asian:

Black dragon

OP
F

fist of fury

No we don't refer to each other that way. We just call our instructor Sifu.

OP
S

Stickgrappler

in traditional CMA, if your classmate started at the kwoon earlier than you, i.e., they are your senior, you should address him/her as si-hing/si-jair, which literally mean martial older brother/martial older sister

or

if they are your junior, i.e., if they started learning from your sifu after you joined, then you address them as either si-dai/si-mui, lit. martial younger brother/martial younger sister and they of course address you as either si-hing/si-jair.

so, in a sense, you call each other brother and sister, but in the chinese culture, sibling relationships are further distinguished by older or younger.

HTH

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi There,

We don't. We refer to our teacher as Sifu. But then we refer to each other by first name except for people who are assistant instructors have gotten to the black sash or higher as Mr. <Lastname> or Ms. <Lastname>.

OP
M

Martijn

We call each other brothers and sister. Not outside the training.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My sifu doesn't even like to be called "Sifu." We just call him "Anthony."

OP
B

Blackdragon

Thanks for the replies. I said we still call our sifu sifu(i.e.-sifu Dan,sifu John,etc.). It's just the students( such as myself ) who tend to call each other brother or sister. And we don't call them just" brother" or "sister", we say their regular names afterward ( again i.e-brother Stevens, sister Jane). Almost like you would if you lived in a convent.
But again-you don't have to.
Anyway, I appreciate the replies. Being new here, it feels good to converse with other members.
Well, train hard and goodluck.

p.s. what does p.s. stand for?:)

OP
S

Senfeng

Originally posted by Sharp Phil

My sifu doesn't even like to be called "Sifu." We just call him "Anthony."
Neither does mine. I thought it was strange the first time there.

OP
T

thatoneguy

where i go we call sifu either sifu or sir
and then for then senior students we also call them si-hing or sir
well sometimes its maam or