Brosnan To Stop Playing Bond, James Bond

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my favorite Bond actors, after Connery gotten a surprise phone call from the head of the studio owning the franchise saying that his services will no longer be required to play everyone's favorite spy.
Story here has him reeling in shock at first then a quiet calm at the realization that he was released from an obligation. He's now free to pursue different roles and to shake off the image.
To date I think Connery (who did six Bond films) managed to do this very well. He starred/played in 24 films to date after his last (Never Say Never Again), won an oscar as well. Connery once said
...in an interview that during the filming of Never Say Never Again, he was taking martial arts lessons and in the process angered the instructor who in turn broke his wrist. Connery stayed with the wrist broken for a number of years thinking it was only a minor pain... the instructor was Steven Seagal.
Roger Moore (who did seven films under the name Bond) actually never took off with his film career after his last Bond film (A View To A Kill), taking flops or secondary, lack-luster films. The only hit he achieved (post-Bond) was Cannonball Run.
Another one of my favorites..
Timothy Dalton his first film in the role, The Living Daylights (1987) did reasonably well at the box-office, Licence to Kill (1989) suffered from a lack of marketing which appeared to harm its chances of big box-office success. However, Dalton's interpretation of Bond in Licence to Kill received critical acclaim in some quarters as being the closest interpretation to Fleming's literary Bond.

Now it's back to a guessing game of who's the next Bond...Snip from the story here
Among the favourites to take over the coveted role are Scottish actor Dougray Scott, Oscar nominee Clive Owen and Australian star Hugh Jackman.

Attachments

• $brosnan.sff.jpg
    $brosnan.sff.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 210

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's too bad, Mr. Brosnan made a great James Bond. My favorite movie with him as bond was Goldeneye.... I thought it was the best of them.

K

kenpochad

dubljay said:
That's too bad, Mr. Brosnan made a great James Bond. My favorite movie with him as bond was Goldeneye.... I thought it was the best of them.
I too liked Brosnan, but I think Hugh Jackman wood make good Bond.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMHO, I think Brosnan made a fantastic Bond, by far the best. Connery is a very close second, love his accent.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Nalia said:
IMHO, I think Brosnan made a fantastic Bond, by far the best. Connery is a very close second, love his accent.

Connery second to Brosnan??? I don't think so....

I liked Goldeneye, but Brosnan's three remaining films are pretty forgettable. I liked Timothy Dalton as Bond, but I'm sure I am in the minority on that one. My wife will be pissed, Brosnan has been a favorite of hers since Remngton Steele.

I don't care who they cast for Bond, but I want him to be more like the Fleming character, a killer who acts the part of the suave gentleman, rather than a suave gentleman who kills. I thought Dalton and Connery were closer to that origninal archtype.

Lamont

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpochad said:
I too liked Brosnan, but I think Hugh Jackman wood make good Bond.
I didn't expect to like him in the role, but he grew on me. Timothy Dalton did the part well, but it just didn't fully resonate for me...he lacked a certain gravitas.

I can't see Hugh Jackman as Bond, myself.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Attachments

• $22m.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 171

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the pic doesn't seem very flattering. Hopefully he fills the shoes of being suave and debonair well. A blonde bond? I don't know...he will really have to have some charisma to pull it. I say bring back Brosnan, by far he was the best Bond. :)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also enjoyed Brosnan in the role, but unfortunately we all age & it was only a matter of time. As much as I love Hugh Jackman :fanboy: :inlove: & I know he'd probably do a good job, I'd prefer to see him as Wolverine in more X-Men films; just my personal preference...I have a "thing" for Wolverines. *giggle* :boing2:

I think Clive Owen would be better. He's also a hunk :fanboy: but looks a little tougher; IMO he could pull off the 'killer who acts like a suave gentleman' thing. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Well the pic doesn't seem very flattering. Hopefully he fills the shoes of being suave and debonair well.
I thought the same. He doesn't really have a leading man look. But if he has the charisma, who knows?

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kelly keltner said:
Maybe in a few years when he's grown into the age group to play Bond, Collin Farrell would be a good choice.

kk
Oh yes - he also has that rougher/tougher look like Clive Owen; if he were a little older, I think he could definitely be Bond. :)

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
What about George Lazenby? I thought he was excellent in Her Majesty's Secret Service (one of my two or three favorites, or favourites, as Bond would spell it), even though he only did the one Bond movie. I do think Connery was the best so far, although GL was a very close second. I could maybe see Hugh Jackman, but something about Colin Farrell strikes me as being kind of a jerk and I don't know why exactly, but I don't think he'd make a good Bond. I've seen that some Highlander fans want Adrian Paul to do it...yeah, I could see that. Of all the potentials so far, I like Clive Owen the best. He's got that subtle badass energy that I think would work.

Latest Discussions