Bride performs martial arts demo immediately after wedding

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this story interesting. I had not heard of these traditional martial arts before either.

Nisha is a BCom graduate and aspiring to become a police officer. Her 30-minute performance was to create awareness among girls about learning self-defence. Nisha said, “It was not easy to perform in a sari and with the heavy make up as a bride. I used to practise martial arts in a t-shirt and track pants.”

She had started learning traditional martial arts such as ‘Silambam’, ‘Surul Vaal’, ‘Adimurai’, ‘Kalarippayattu’, and ‘Theepantham’ (fireball) three years ago as a final year college student. Her friends also performed martial arts for an hour to entertain hundreds of villagers for around 90 minutes. Nisha said her mother Mani and her father Perumal also encouraged her to learn martial arts.

I found a portion of the video the story talks about on Youtube:

I am always interesting in learning more about the traditional martial arts of other countries.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I found a portion of the video the story talks about on Youtube:
Entertaining, but where's the martial arts? Hidden deep within the dance moves?

India has long been a source of MA, perhaps dating back to Bodhidharma/Daruma, and is still known for fierce fighters. This video, though, did not illustrate that.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Entertaining, but where's the martial arts? Hidden deep within the dance moves?

India has long been a source of MA, perhaps dating back to Bodhidharma/Daruma, and is still known for fierce fighters. This video, though, did not illustrate that.
It was apparently a much longer video, and the bridesmaids performed for like 90 minutes, so I can't say. I do know that when I've seen Okinawan traditional dances, I see martial arts moves in the dances.

Latest Discussions