Yes, Elvis...Again

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know how many of you feel about the notion that Elvis Presley was a real karateka, or that he was deserving of the high rank eventually awarded to him. Nevertheless, he has a place in the history of karate in the USA, if only for his celebrity and the notoriety surrounding him. Not unlike Count Dante in that sense, eh?

Anyway, apparently Graceland is opening up an exhibit on Elvis and his history with karate. I thought it worth mentioning.

I'm not taking any sides here, other than to say that the man who awarded Elvis his first black belt was the real deal, and he swore that Elvis was a good fighter and worthy of the first-degree black belt he awarded him.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not making light of this at all, but honestly, all I can currently hear in my head is

Thank you, thank you very much

and question, didn't Elvis train with Ed Parker?
I honestly don't know who Elvis 'trained with' in a serious sense and who he hung out with or went to seminars or whatever. At his level of celebrity, it was not at all uncommon for certificates to be awarded, honorary or not, just to advance the publicity of whomever. Not saying anything other than I am aware Elvis had an 'honorary' Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs from President Nixon that he apparently loved flashing to people, so...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not making light of this at all, but honestly, all I can currently hear in my head is

Thank you, thank you very much

and question, didn't Elvis train with Ed Parker?
Parker was not his original teacher and did not award Elvis his first black belt, but they definitely developed a relationship. I do not know how much serious training Elvis had with Parker, but it was Parker who awarded him a very high rank, I believe eighth Dan.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In reading through the article it seems there was also a Korean instructor who awarded him an eighth Dan. Lots of players in the Elvis world.

given that Elvis was all of 42 when he died, I tend to view all such promotions as “honorary”. He may well have deserved the first. He may have been a dedicated practitioner for some part of his life. But eighth, from two different teachers, by age 42, just doesn’t add up in my mind. But what do I know?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just some thoughts inspired by the above posts regarding karate teachers. There are perhaps 4 types way to approach teaching, as far as the teacher's primary motivation and goals:

1. those that teach in the context of sport - movement for its own sake
2. in the context of teaching for personal gain - for money or favors
3. in the context of fighting - karate-jutsu
4. in the context of teaching the "way" - karate-do

There is nothing inherently wrong with any of the above, and they can coexist with each other. But what is the teacher's obligation to the student? Elvis was surrounded by those who took advantage of him. I think he lost his "center" and was lost amidst his own fame and drugs.

After he died, one of his karate-trained bodyguards (I can't remember who for certain, it's been way too long) was asked why, as a bodyguard, he couldn't have helped Elvis avoid his tragic end. The response was, "How do you protect someone from himself."

I believe MA, especially in the context of #4, can answer that question to a certain extent, if properly taught. But when #2 is the overriding concern, the "way" is one of the first casualties.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just some thoughts inspired by the above posts regarding karate teachers. There are perhaps 4 types way to approach teaching, as far as the teacher's primary motivation and goals:

There is nothing inherently wrong with any of the above, and they can coexist with each other. But what is the teacher's obligation to the student? Elvis was surrounded by those who took advantage of him. I think he lost his "center" and was lost amidst his own fame and drugs.

After he died, one of his karate-trained bodyguards (I can't remember who for certain, it's been way too long) was asked why, as a bodyguard, he couldn't have helped Elvis avoid his tragic end. The response was, "How do you protect someone from himself."

I believe MA, especially in the context of #4, can answer that question to a certain extent, if properly taught. But when #2 is the overriding concern, the "way" is one of the first casualties.
God, I so love this post.

P.S. I think Red West was the bodyguard.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

You may want to add:
5. In the context of teaching people how to maintain and protect their health.

A. Its good exercise.
B. Learning how to fall safely will protect you from broken hips in those golden senior years. C. Learning new things helps maintain neuroplasticity, and wards off Alzheimer's.

Unfortunately, Elvis went to seed, rather than pushing through to better health.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Presley earned his first-degree black belt in 1960 under Chito-Ryu stylist Hank Slemansky. According to the stories, Slemansky told Ed Parker that Elvis "wasn't pretty, but tough and definitely a black belt."

Ed Parker's rank given to Elvis was honorary due to his contributions in spreading karate. Elvis' other high rank was debatable and ended up with a gift of a Cadillac after the promotion.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Presley earned his first-degree black belt in 1960 under Chito-Ryu stylist Hank Slemansky. According to the stories, Slemansky told Ed Parker that Elvis "wasn't pretty, but tough and definitely a black belt."

Ed Parker's rank given to Elvis was honorary due to his contributions in spreading karate. Elvis' other high rank was debatable and ended up with a gift of a Cadillac after the promotion.
Wouldn't it have been great if a cultural fad had developed where students making black belt gave their teachers a new car?

Yeah, probably not. Maybe them all chipping in would be okay. :)

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
where students making black belt gave their teachers a new car?
I can tell you of the opposite happening. Ed Parker made the down payment on new cars for at least some of his top new blackbelts. I knew one, very talented, who drove a Porsche 914 gotten in this way.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can tell you of the opposite happening. Ed Parker made the down payment on new cars for at least some of his top new blackbelts. I knew one, very talented, who drove a Porsche 914 gotten in this way.
A 914? I can only assume he didn't like that student.