Break in heavy bag???

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings. I recently swapped out my Wavemaster XXL for a 100 lb. heavy bag. Overall I'm quite please with the change, but DAMN is it hard on the bottom. Of course it's innards gravitate downwards so the top is quite soft and the bottom quite hard. I know I need to work on some shin conditioning, but in the meantime is there a good way to soften up the bottom that anyone knows about?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not that I know of. As you've mentioned, the stuffing just settles. I can't think of anything you can to to change that.

You might also consider the weight of the bag in proportion to your own body size. It's possible that you bought a bag that is too big for you.

About a year ago I bought an 80 pound bag, and I think it's just about the limit that someone my size ought to have, unless you are my size and built like a gorilla. I'm about 5ft 10 inches, and I weigh about 155 pounds. I'm pretty strong for my size, I stay very fit, but I'm no weight lifter. That bag is heavy and I could see the possibility of hurting wrists and stuff, and it has some settling of the stuffing as well. Definitely some rocky spots to be careful of. Ya gotta start slow and allow your joints to condition and get accustomed to the pounding.

My wife trains as well, and she's a fair bit smaller than me. For her sake, I kind of wish we had picked up a lighter bag. It would be better for her, and I'd still get a lot of good out of it. Maybe 50 pounds or so.

so, something to consider.

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a 100lb bag and it does the same.

What I do is take it down. Practice some ground pounding. Turn it upsidedown and do some low knees.

This will knock the stuffing back to the top. I do this once a week and it works pretty good for me.

Try it!

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a 100lb bag and it does the same.

What I do is take it down. Practice some ground pounding. Turn it upsidedown and do some low knees.

This will knock the stuffing back to the top. I do this once a week and it works pretty good for me.

Try it!

Will do, thanks!

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
About a year ago I bought an 80 pound bag, and I think it's just about the limit that someone my size ought to have, unless you are my size and built like a gorilla. I'm about 5ft 10 inches, and I weigh about 155 pounds. I'm pretty strong for my size, I stay very fit, but I'm no weight lifter. That bag is heavy and I could see the possibility of hurting wrists and stuff, and it has some settling of the stuffing as well. Definitely some rocky spots to be careful of. Ya gotta start slow and allow your joints to condition and get accustomed to the pounding.

5' 10'', 200 lbs. I've read that you should get a bag 1/2 your body weight, so this made sense.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lots of heavy bags are filled with sand at the bottom, or tightly-packed strips of cloth, or a combo of both.

Mine was a combo of sand and cloth, so I took everything out, rolled an old shag carpet to form an outer layer, then filled in as much as I could with the original stuffing. What I got was a bag about as heavy (I didn't add the sand back, but it would've worked too) with an outwardly softer feel to it.

Apparently you can buy a gel wrap to go around your heavy bag as well.

Latest Discussions