Heavy Bag

Parky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know Wing Chun isn't famous for heavy bag use, but I have a 100 Lb bag I'd like to use and it is hard as a block wall. I hate to hit it because I find my forearm and shoulder going hard. I was taught to hit with a soft forearm, but can't seem to do it with such a hard bag. Has anyone here modified a bag to soften it? Any suggestions?

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Layer of foam around it?

Is it a new bag? They tend to get a bit softer after a while of hitting them.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ Beat the heck out of it with a baseball bat to loosen it up!

OP
P

Parky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The bag's a few years old. Canvas outside. The wifey bought it as a b-day present a few years ago. Never had time to use it until recently. Not sure what's in it. I think it's an Everlast...probably the cheapest 100 lb bag they made 2-3 years ago.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The bag's a few years old. Canvas outside. The wifey bought it as a b-day present a few years ago. Never had time to use it until recently. Not sure what's in it. I think it's an Everlast...probably the cheapest 100 lb bag they made 2-3 years ago.

My bag apparently has a filling of sand and rags. It got wet and the sand got hard as a rock when it finally dried out ...and also seemed to have settled towards the bottom. Thinking along the same line as K.P.M., I used it for eskrima practice, using my heaviest sticks. It's softer now.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My bag apparently has a filling of sand and rags. It got wet and the sand got hard as a rock when it finally dried out ...and also seemed to have settled towards the bottom. Thinking along the same line as K.P.M., I used it for eskrima practice, using my heaviest sticks. It's softer now.

That's pretty much it.

You might want to use it as just a target and go light. Or you might want to untie the rope/cord at the top and see what's going on inside. And adjust accordingly.

Latest Discussions