Break-a-thon for charity. How to set it up?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm considering doing a board break-a-thon for charity with my school. Has anyone here planned & executed one?
What's the best way to go about getting donated boards & other materials?
Is it best to have it at your facility, or another (larger) location?

I just started seriously thinking about this today so I'm gathering information. And, quite honestly, I don't know what I don't know about this. So any & all infomation, tips, & thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd be a little concerned about liability. Perhaps that's just me, though. Good luck!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've promoted annual kick-a-thons, but haven't tried a board breaking marathon. Seems if that's what you really want to do, you could just begin laying out a mental image of what you're trying to accomplish and see how it plays out. I know audience braking has always been popular at demonstrations and parties, so I imagine this has potential. Can you provide kind of a high level overview of what you see so far?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question, Gemini. I don't have a clear idea beyond my students & I getting donation pledges for the number of boards we break & then inviting as many people as we can to cheer us on while we do it.

I'm not talking about this type of thing in this video, but it started sparking my thoughts. http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m2075q62d#/watch?v=VpAhtN5KcdM

I've not seen it done any other way than this above, but I think it's a tremendous way to make money for charity.

I'm open to ideas about how to do it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I looked through my forum but I must have skipped it.
One of the members helped organize one for the school a few years back (before the org went gaga)
If you feel like it, or terribly bored, snoop around. (I unhid some sections for you) I am sure he won't mind reliving the moment. As I recall they had a blast!

Latest Discussions