Starting with Gracie Barra in April

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just called the Gracie-Barra school in San Diego and set up starting my first free lesson when I get to California in April. I'm looking forward to starting out in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu after hearing so much about it and receiving some adhoc training in the military in Jiu Jitsu-esque grappling.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent and have fun!
icon6.gif

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ditto! I hope you enjoy it. It's a blast and Gracie Barra is a top notch organization.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am looking forward to getting started and to really start my grappling/ground game up. Has anyone done any of the Muay Thai classes held at the Gracie Barra schools? I'm thinking of using those to improve and make sure my striking is in good order as well.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
which Gracie Barra school are you training at?
I am in San Diego as well with Nelson Monteiro and Raphael Ramos in Encinitas... we do not offer Muay Thai.. but there is a Muay Thai guy named Marshall Hamill in the facility who trains people...no affiliation.
I know that Steve Gable in Poway also does not teach Muay Thai, but the gym there does in fact have a Muay thai program, and MMA program as well, although neither are associated with Gracie Barra. Dominic in Clairmont Mesa also has, or had a Muay Thai trainer there, but I do not know if he is still there or not, but he also did not have a Gracie Barra Affiliation.

I dont know if Majid in Escondido has Muay Thai there, but if he does its not an official Gracie Barra thing..
I have no clue id the Del Mar and Oceanside locations have Muay Thai or not.

Anyways, hope I didn't confuse you more... my suggestion would be check into the Muay Thai trainers credentials seperately from Gracie Barra...

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just called the Gracie-Barra school in San Diego and set up starting my first free lesson when I get to California in April. I'm looking forward to starting out in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu after hearing so much about it and receiving some adhoc training in the military in Jiu Jitsu-esque grappling.
Which Gracie Barra in San Diego will you train at? A little known fact about the GB schools in San Diego : All of the teachers got their Black belt from Nelson Monteiro or from one of his Black belts.
All are top notch instructors but Nelson is the MAN.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Most likely Professor Parker's school on Linda Vista Road in San Diego itself. Because my Army schedule is so fluid I will likely train at multiple locations in the San Diego and Chino Hills area (depends on where I visit on the weekends). The main reason I picked Gracie Barra is because if I train at one location I can train at other locations as well without having to pay as long as I'm paying at my primary location.

Latest Discussions