What belt to wear?

shane

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If the tourney doesnt identify that it is a BJJ tourney...9 times out of 10 its not. Also a white band and a grey band are still beginners so does it actually matter. If its that large-scale of a deal then let him wear the grey belt.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ALWAYS default to white belt.....if you're better than the belt that you're wearing, it will be obvious. If you're not, it will be too....you probably want the former.

JRMF

White Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend that he wears his jiu jitsu belt first. And then see what division wearing that belt will get him into. You don't want your excited son to get into a division beyond his experience and leave discouraged.
Joe
Team Zeal
Martial Arts Fort Myers

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend that he wears his jiu jitsu belt first. And then see what division wearing that belt will get him into. You don't want your excited son to get into a division beyond his experience and leave discouraged.
Joe
Team Zeal
Martial Arts Fort Myers
FYI, this thread is 9 years old, so I'm sure the original question has long since been decided. If the original poster's son is still practicing BJJ he should be getting into the adult ranks about now.