Boxing

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Im guessing he wasnt fighting a pro/semi-pro/golden gloves boxer. Most boxers I have met are tough SOB's that can take punches like you wouldnt believe. The "average boxer" would make mincemeat over the average "recreational martial artist" anyday IMO.

And I'm going to agree with you too...

I'm still interested to see thesandman's clarification in regards to my queries in my earlier post....???

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im guessing he wasnt fighting a pro/semi-pro/golden gloves boxer. Most boxers I have met are tough SOB's that can take punches like you wouldnt believe. The "average boxer" would make mincemeat over the average "recreational martial artist" anyday IMO.

I am going to chime in and agree wholeheartedly on this one. Having boxed GG for 7 years, it helped my fighting skills out immensely. Not to mention that it looks a lot less conspicuous if you get in a street altercation than if you throw a clean kick or a joint lock on someone. And it makes getting hurt happen a bunch less.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad to see I'm in the majority opinion here.

Boxing is an integral part of my MA - from day one. I feel that boxing is a skill set just like the kicks, throws, strikes, etc of other MA's. Sure most practitioners use it in a sport called "boxing" but in my experience, their comfort with full contact, their well developed timing and conditioning, and their ability to stand in there make boxers a VERY serious opponent on the street / ring / dojo / whatever.

to look down on any combat skill set because it is used in a sport is ridiculous IMHO.

Latest Discussions