Boxing : Your Opinions

Poggy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!

Sorry if there are similar threads.. but just want to know a few opinions on boxing?

I'm thinking of starting it... along side kick boxing

It's only £1.50 for a 2 hour session!!! :) So can't be bad! hehe

Dan

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the last 2 posters as well. Its definately a great workout, and you'll learn some great skills that you can add to your current art.

Mike

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I boxed Golden Gloves from1995 to 2002. Great workout and gained some very functional skills from it. I always recommend it for anyone that is thinking of kickboxing. The overall number of techniques is very low, but what boxers do have they have down to a science. Most boxing clubs are extremely cheap for ametuar boxers. They make their money off of the pro fighters. I say go for it. Your fighting skills will increase greatly. Listen to the more experienced fighters and learn form everyone.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Go for it mate, especially at that price, I did some boxing when I was younger and loved it.

OP
P

Poggy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cheers peeps :)
i'll Sacudee (go for it) :)

I'd love to be something like a pro boxer! I bet the feeling you get when everyones cheering you on, etc is just one of the best feelings ever!

I only considered boxing after i was speaking to a mate and he was saying how he found boxing more useful when it came to street fighting.

T

TonyM.

If I were only going to learn one martial art, it would be boxing. Boxing prepared me for everything I learned afterwards.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yep, amateur boxing gyms tend to be cheap. But don't be put off by the fact that you will tend to get very little attention at first. Especially if they don't see you as a 'prospect'.

Also be aware what parts of amateur boxing do not translate directly to self defence. This includes many of the blocks and punches, though translating them to street effective forms is not difficult.

Still, despite all that, it is hugely rewarding and useful, so stick with it.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simply one of the best martial arts on the planet. It brings great speed, power, stamina and movement. It is initially based on gross motors skills, so they set in muscle memory well, but as you progress you become more fine tuned and see why they call it the Sweet Science. I have seen 16 year old boxing phenoms take an entire Muay Thai tourny without using their legs. Their speed, movement and stamina was just that good. Don't pass up the chance to get in on a good boxing school.

OP
P

Poggy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you think that it is worth me keeping up the Kick Boxing classes too?
Or should i concentrate on the boxing?

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poggy said:
Do you think that it is worth me keeping up the Kick Boxing classes too?
Or should i concentrate on the boxing?

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

If its an actual kickboxing school, then I'd say yes, stay with it, as it'll round out your skills. If its a cardio kickboxing class, then I'd say stick with the boxing. You'll get just as good if not better of a workout.

Mike

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
If its an actual kickboxing school, then I'd say yes, stay with it, as it'll round out your skills. If its a cardio kickboxing class, then I'd say stick with the boxing. You'll get just as good if not better of a workout.

Mike
Agreed!!

U

upstanding_dragon

Definately go for the boxing, will make you very fit, boxers are some of the most conditioned people I've come across, you're punching range will improve no end, power, speed, accuracy everything, will definately compliment and improve your kickboxing.

Stefan

http://www.networkofmartialarts.co.uk

Latest Discussions