boxing question

demon seed

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, in the Rocky 3 movie Apollo Creed is coaching Rocky. They're doing this foot work that almost looks like they're dancing. Can someone tell me what's it called?
Thanks.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you mean the footwork shown throughout this clip?

OP
D

demon seed

White Belt
Reaction score
Yup that's it alright. What's that bouncing they're doing?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi, in the Rocky 3 movie Apollo Creed is coaching Rocky. They're doing this foot work that almost looks like they're dancing. Can someone tell me what's it called?
Thanks.

Movie choreography

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes, when teaching someone to box, before any detailed footwork can be taught, you help someone to be light on their feet. In the Rocky movies, Rocky Balboa was a brawler, Apollo, on the other hand, had more boxing skills. I think he was teaching Rocky how to be light on his feet.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Different groups call it differently. Bouncing or bounce stepping footwork is what we refer it to vs step drag footwork which is more grounded all the time. The bounce step keeps on light on their feet and allows for quick in and out or side angling movement. Also allows the fighter to create body faints and draws. Using the bounce step mixed with shuffle stepping, step sliding, lateral stepping, pivot step, and other movements makes for quick unpredictable movement.

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
They are doing the footwork.
Footwork is a martial arts and combat sports term for the general usage of the legs and feet in stand-up fighting.

Latest Discussions