boxing legality

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I THINK LEGALLY IF YOUR A BOXER AND YOU FIGHT OUT SIDE OF THE RING IT Could qualify as a deadly weapons charge so would you agree I should learn boxing or kick boxing to increase me defensI've skills thoughts please thank you.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying you think it does qualify, or that you're suggesting it should qualify as a deadly weapon. If the first, there are a lot of issues i dont feel like explaining, but the relevant one:

Why would it being illegal to punch someone as a boxer mean you should learn boxing for self defense? That makes no sense.

OP
P

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What I am trying to say is I think in both martial so arts and boxing if you maliciously punched some one my martial art instructor or a police officer has stated that if you use martial also arts abusively a complaint could potentially read deadly weapons charge I am sure it's the same with boxing so do you think if I learn boxing it will increase my self defense skills? Thoughts you don't think learning boxing will increase my self defense skills?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Didn't you know that all of us with Black Belt ranks have to register our hands as Deadly Weapons?
And unless we have a Concealed Weapons Permit, we're not allowed to put our hands in our pockets.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I am trying to say is I think in both martial so arts and boxing if you maliciously punched some one my martial art instructor or a police officer has stated that if you use martial also arts abusively a complaint could potentially read deadly weapons charge I am sure it's the same with boxing so do you think if I learn boxing it will increase my self defense skills? Thoughts you don't think learning boxing will increase my self defense skills?
You were fed a bunch of lies, by some unknown person probably popular myth, and even if it was true that would have no indication on self defense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I THINK LEGALLY IF YOUR A BOXER AND YOU FIGHT OUT SIDE OF THE RING IT Could qualify as a deadly weapons charge so would you agree I should learn boxing or kick boxing to increase me defensI've skills thoughts please thank you.

Yep.........

kickboxingtalk

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

If used in ‘self defence’ as a last resort then who knows these days how that would stand up in a court of law?

Saying that if you have or want to learn the knowledge you can still protect yourself without hitting back!

Best Regards
Jay

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What?!??
If you don't train in any type of fighting and "YOU FIGHT OUT SIDE OF THE RING" it could qualify as a deadly weapons charge depending upon the situation.

kickboxingtalk

White Belt
Reaction score
Why is this reminding me of the film ‘Con-Air’ where the character played by Nicholas cage gets into more trouble because of his training in hand-to-hand combat...

D

Deleted member 39746

I wish that was a thing, but its not here. Im sure some places do in fact put people who practice martial arts on a list though.

Why is this reminding me of the film ‘Con-Air’ where the character played by Nicholas cage gets into more trouble because of his training in hand-to-hand combat...

There may be some different view on someone who has training, but i dont think its drastically different. Like the jury/judge might expect you to walk away from more/come to a peaceful settlement for more things. I don't know, it can very well change perception on you though.

And just because it exists:

But yeah, unless you live under a despot, im pretty sure someone was just bloating the style/feeding you lies and mis information. Happily cite a law to your country which shows martial artists have to be registered to some degree, im all for learning new laws in different countries for interest sake. :p

(how ever i do have a hook for a hand so thats registered as a deadly weapon)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember back during my first stint in karate, I was wearing a t-shirt from my dojo. Somehow I was talking to a random older guy and he asked about my training. He stated he trained karate in Korea while he served in the Korean War, got his black belt and won some competitions. Then he said when he got back to the states he registered his hands and feet with the local police. And I immediately knew right there that the whole story was complete bullish!t.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish that was a thing, but its not here. Im sure some places do in fact put people who practice martial arts on a list though.

And from what evidence do you arrive at this surety?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well... I guess he’s right... my teacher has a list of his students. Doesn’t that count as a place that puts people who train in MA on a list?

True enough, although from the context I think the implication that this is being done by some government/law enforcement office is pretty clear.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

There may be some different view on someone who has training, but i dont think its drastically different. Like the jury/judge might expect you to walk away from more/come to a peaceful settlement for more things. I don't know, it can very well change perception on you though.

And just because it exists:

But yeah, unless you live under a despot, im pretty sure someone was just bloating the style/feeding you lies and mis information. Happily cite a law to your country which shows martial artists have to be registered to some degree, im all for learning new laws in different countries for interest sake. :p

(how ever i do have a hook for a hand so thats registered as a deadly weapon)
Wait why do you wish that was a thing? Do you want martial artists to get in trouble whenever they defend themselves? And no frankly I've traveled to different places and I've boxed and kickboxed and fought Mma and done karate bjj and Krav Maga and never have I ever been asked to register myself....the whole idea is dumb. So if I quit training do I still have to register for the rest if my life or what if I don't register and then I get in a fight what's the proof that I've got training or that I actually used said training, I mean if I'm a boxer and I end up kicking a guy in the head or choking him then that's not using my training is it since kicks and chokes aren't in boxing so how can a prosecutor say I used my martial arts when I used techniques that aren't my martial art?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi,

If used in ‘self defence’ as a last resort then who knows these days how that would stand up in a court of law?

Saying that if you have or want to learn the knowledge you can still protect yourself without hitting back!

Best Regards
Jay
No you can't...if someone's attacking you hard full on trying to hurt you you can't just keep blocking you have to be aggressive to end it, whether it's just a restraint or a joint lock or a choke or a kick or punch 9 out of 10 times you'll need to do something aggressive.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Absolutely. Didn't you know that all of us with Black Belt ranks have to register our hands as Deadly Weapons?
And unless we have a Concealed Weapons Permit, we're not allowed to put our hands in our pockets.

How I got to be this old and never thought about, or heard, that hands in the pocket line just baffles me.

Great line.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really want to get a hands as leathal weapons permit now.