Bouncing

E

Elfan

I was wondering if anyone here has had any expereince with Bouncing or similar ocupations and if so what they thougt.

Thanks.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
I was wondering if anyone here has had any expereince with Bouncing or similar ocupations and if so what they thougt.

Thanks.

I have done it.

It is not the most healthy way to make money.

Expect to get into fights, get stabbed and shot at.

Depends on the environment biker bar versus yuppie bar, yet the risk is always there.

Also expect to get arrested for excessive force or for fighting or what ever the police officer thinks is best. Expect to be in court if not for criminal then for civil.

I can give specifics if interested, off line so as not to bore everyone here.

Why are you interested?

Best regards

Rich

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yep, for two years, in country pubs in Australia. Its a weird job, can be a lot of fun, but everything Rich said is true. The nights when in goes badly, it generally goes really badly....

In addition, a lot of people dont realise its just a job, and you're just an artifact of the bar's policy, not a pig-headed tool out to ruin their good times....i was still having pisssing contests with some guys i had to eject forcefully three years after i stopped bouncing.

If you do end up in court, dont expect it to go well....once when we had a guy charged for assualt (he threatened to kill another one of the guys after we bounced him and a couple of his mates), the magistrate called us (the bouncers) thugs, and kicked th case outta court....its complete bollocks.

Apart from that, you meet a lot of girls, u spend ur nights at the pub and walk out with more money than u came in with, and u walk away with an advanced degree in understanding slurred speech. If you're doing it in winter, be able to handle urself in bulky clothes.....

all in all, it was a good job for me while i was at uni, and i probly would do it again now...but only because my girlfriend works in a pub, and i end up there most nights anyway....

Cheers

Bao

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Baoquan
Yep, for two years, in country pubs in Australia. Its a weird job, can be a lot of fun, but everything Rich said is true. The nights when in goes badly, it generally goes really badly....

In addition, a lot of people dont realise its just a job, and you're just an artifact of the bar's policy, not a pig-headed tool out to ruin their good times....i was still having pisssing contests with some guys i had to eject forcefully three years after i stopped bouncing.

If you do end up in court, dont expect it to go well....once when we had a guy charged for assualt (he threatened to kill another one of the guys after we bounced him and a couple of his mates), the magistrate called us (the bouncers) thugs, and kicked th case outta court....its complete bollocks.

Apart from that, you meet a lot of girls, u spend ur nights at the pub and walk out with more money than u came in with, and u walk away with an advanced degree in understanding slurred speech. If you're doing it in winter, be able to handle urself in bulky clothes.....

all in all, it was a good job for me while i was at uni, and i probly would do it again now...but only because my girlfriend works in a pub, and i end up there most nights anyway....

Cheers

Bao

Bao,

I am not usre but I think you mean by Uni, you mean Univeristy.
I think I understood the rest of the local slang. Just curious. :)

Thanks

Rich
:asian:

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry - it just slips out...yes uni = university.

IN order to ankle any further miscommunications based on my geographically-encumbered colloquialisms, i present to you:

Baoquan's "Strine" Slang Dictionary (Abridged).

tool: (n, coll.) literally penis, used insultingly and interchangably with other colloquial references to male genitalia; example "You're a d@ck".

Pissing Contest; (exp., coll.); Any phallocentric contest in which two individuals, usually but not exclusively male, attempt to establish dominance through the highly admirable method of seeing who's metaphorical urine can be projected further. Note: Accuracy is never a factor.

bollocks; (n, coll.) literally testicles, but generally used to imply something is untrue, unjust, or just un-in-the-speakers-favour.

Strine; (p., coll.) Australian.

I spent sooo much time explaining myself when i was in the US, i ended up just pretending i was Canadian.....of course, i had to learn to say "a boat" :D

OP
J

Jeff Cook

Strange. I have been "bouncing" (how I HATE that word!) for 11 years now, and after countless use-of-force incidences from minor altercations to gunshot/stab attacks, my people and I have yet to be threatened with arrest, and have never been sued.

What am I doing wrong?

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeff Cook
Strange. I have been "bouncing" (how I HATE that word!) for 11 years now, and after countless use-of-force incidences from minor altercations to gunshot/stab attacks, my people and I have yet to be threatened with arrest, and have never been sued.

What am I doing wrong?

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

:D

Well Jeff,

I think you are doing nothing wrong. Are the ones you Bounce on their heads and or send to the hospital have yuppie mom and or dad's? Are they yuppie themselves, or are they the rough and tumble type that realize that got what they deserve. Note: Anyone can sue you, only making a comment from person experience not a generalization here.

Also, was it push and shove or hit for hit and the worse someone had was a black eye or a bruise?

If you put them in the hospital, break something on the person, and or have a repeated history of them (* the bad guys *) getting the worse of the exchange every time. Also it depends upon the police and clients you have, as I mentioned above.

So, if you have not ended up in Jail or the police station for "Questioning" or ended up in court, then I would have to say you might have found the exact right amount of force to use in the situations you have been in.

:)

OP
J

Jeff Cook

Rich, thanks for tolerating my sarcasm. ;)

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have been "consulting" for special events/nightclubs for eleven years (by "consult" I mean that I meet with the client, do an assessment, determine their needs, provide a trained crew, supervise the crew, etc.); over 90 percent of my clients have been promoters/club owners for Hispanic gigs (mostly Mexican).

Many of the gigs and clubs I have had as accounts were turned down by more mainstream security companies, due to risk factor (one of the clubs I took over had three changes of ownership and eight homicides in one year). Most of my security officers have been current military/prior service and/or jujitsu students of mine. I educate them on team and individual tactics, crowd psychology and dynamics, and legal use of force (among other things). At least three of my former employees are now police officers.

Without getting too detailed, most of the really bad guys have been gang-bangers and turf-oriented drug dealers. The illegals and migrant workers for the most part are VERY well-behaved - it's always the locals who are trouble. The common (non-gang - that's another story!) bar-room-style fights usually involve AT LEAST ten combatants (this seems to be a cultural trend) with many large brawls becoming riots (we also know when to disengage, retreat, and call LE, but fortunately this does not happen too often).

I don't want to bore you guys with years' worth of tales, but I have found a certain formula that seems to work in my little corner of the world. But I also know VERY well that the best-laid plans and tactics can turn to crap in a hurry!

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

OP
M

MartialArtist

Bouncing is not the best way to get money. Sure you get tips, but having a steady job is much better for you and your health.

Good bouncers rarely get into trouble. They are a people-person.

There is absolutely NO FUTURE in bouncing. If you want to go the security route, at least be a bodyguard.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey,

I bounced for a bit, almost 2 years in college including some "consulting" for raves and frat parties. It was fun, but it wears on you. The hours are bad and the people and problems you're exposed to jade you. During my time not only did I face fists, feet, knives, guns, bats, pipes, tire irons,steering wheel locks, high heeled shoes, and broken bottles, but I got every sort of bodily fluid on me you could imagine. I got into trouble with the local gangsters, got recognized and in fights outside of work and at the University with dissatisfied patrons.

One of the guys here said there is no future in bouncing, and he's right. But it is a way to gain experience. I had a training partner that was in the DEA. He was a bit older than me. I told him I was interested in law enforcement. He advised me to try nightclub security to see if law enforcement was something that I wanted to do.

Bouncing is not like being an LEO, but it shares some aspects. For one thing, you won't shoot anybody as a bouncer, but you'll figure out how to gain people's trust and how to tell people things they don't want to hear in a non-inflammatory way. I did some civilian ride-alongs before I bounced and I have friends that are cops. It's my belief that if you work at a rough club, you'll see more hand to hand action in one night than a lot of cops will in a week. You also will have to depend on your skills as you have no, badge, gun or nightstick and you won't for the most part have backup. Just watch "COPS" on tv and you'll see that the cops get to the club mostly after the trouble's done.

I found that I was capable of doing the job, but I also found that I didn't like the person that I had to be in order to my job effectively. I found out I didn't want to be a cop. Some people can handle a career as a bouncer. I say do it for a short while and then get out before you become some crook's leg breaker or cross the wrong people. We saw crazy people, and then we saw their guns. It's not a question of if but of when something will go very bad.

One particular incident that pops into mind happened when I saw a guy start to get attitude with one of the cocktail waitresses. It was the type of attitude that leads to stolen drinks or a grab on the girls person. I followed the guy when he got up to look for a reason to get him out of the club. He walked into the bathroom and went into a stall. I acted like I was checking the bathroom for fights and I saw a gun in a clip holster on the floor next to the guys pants where it fell out. So I slipped my foot under the side of the stall and kicked the gun into one very yellow urinal and pushed the door in pinning the guy off the toilet and in the corner of the stall. I used a walkie talkie to call the code for a gun in and say that it was under control but that I needed some help. Some of the other guys came in and the manager came in while I was keeping the guy in the stall. Among the profanity and unintelligable rage he was screaming "I'm a cop..." which of course I'd heard before from other people so I didn't believe this guy. When I let him out he produced a badge and wanted to arrest me. But he was drinking and off duty so he shouldn't have had his gun. When we reminded him of that he cooled down and then left. It could have gone differently. He could have had a backup gun and I could've gotten some extra breathing holes that night. It's a dangerous job and crazy things happen.

Whatever you choose to do, be careful and read some MacYoung for tips.

OP
J

Jill666

Does nursing in a methadone clinic count? We had fights, a stabbing, a few OD's and one lead-pipe-in-the-knees incident.
Plus I've been barfed on a lot.:barf: :barf: :barf: Jill

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666
Does nursing in a methadone clinic count? We had fights, a stabbing, a few OD's and one lead-pipe-in-the-knees incident.
Plus I've been barfed on a lot.:barf: :barf: :barf: Jill

Jill,

ER and Clinics in major metro area's count as combat zones just like the good old bars and concerts . At least in my opinion.

Rich
:)