Boston area in-person Xingyi quan?

Julinho A

White Belt
Reaction score
I live in the Boston area (Somerville, Massachusetts), and wondering if anyone knows of any Xingyi instructors in the greater Boston area that are teaching in person, or advice on other places I could try looking that are somewhat Xingyi-adjacent, such as Bagua, Bajiquan, etc?

I've done a lot of online searching and have looked into some of the suggestions based on what others have posted here previously, but it seems that all the recommended schools and individuals that I could find have all either closed during the pandemic, moved away, or have shifted to virtual only (Zhou Xuan Yun/Taoist Gate, Yizong/Marcus Opalenik, Bow Sim Mark, Boston Bagua, Yin-style bagua). My preference is to be able to continue studying an internal art at a school that I can also train applications, partner drills, light sparring, etc (as opposed to only doing forms).

If I can't find anyone, my other option is to cross train at a school that spars (be it kickboxing, sanda, Choy Lay Fut, etc) and see what I can sneak in and apply while sparring in another style, but that feels less than ideal (both in terms of efficiency, and being respectful of wherever I'd be training). Which I suppose brings up a second question:

For those of you studying the more esoteric arts, what are your approaches to finding opportunities for applied/partner training when partners are hard to come by?

Thanks for reading and happy training

Teapot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps this isn't what you want, but there is a low-key Chen Taijiquan teacher of Chen Zhaokui's lineage near you. And similar to Xingyiquan, line drills are a big aspect for them. With some of those drills, there have been some who thought: "Huh? That looks like Xingyiquan."

Their particular approach is also excruciatingly painful on the legs. It's likely the most painful "internal" art (self-inflicting pain) you can come across on this planet.

But, it also sounds like you're mainly interested in striking. So perhaps this place wouldn't be of interest to you since it's also big on standup grappling.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live in the Boston area (Somerville, Massachusetts), and wondering if anyone knows of any Xingyi instructors in the greater Boston area that are teaching in person, or advice on other places I could try looking that are somewhat Xingyi-adjacent, such as Bagua, Bajiquan, etc?

I've done a lot of online searching and have looked into some of the suggestions based on what others have posted here previously, but it seems that all the recommended schools and individuals that I could find have all either closed during the pandemic, moved away, or have shifted to virtual only (Zhou Xuan Yun/Taoist Gate, Yizong/Marcus Opalenik, Bow Sim Mark, Boston Bagua, Yin-style bagua). My preference is to be able to continue studying an internal art at a school that I can also train applications, partner drills, light sparring, etc (as opposed to only doing forms).

If I can't find anyone, my other option is to cross train at a school that spars (be it kickboxing, sanda, Choy Lay Fut, etc) and see what I can sneak in and apply while sparring in another style, but that feels less than ideal (both in terms of efficiency, and being respectful of wherever I'd be training). Which I suppose brings up a second question:

For those of you studying the more esoteric arts, what are your approaches to finding opportunities for applied/partner training when partners are hard to come by?

If CLF is available, I would recommend that.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Marcus Opalenik went virtual only..... well that's sad.

Have you checked Adison Martin?

And I know nothing about this school, other than they claim to teach xingyiquan, but it is in Acton, Chinese Martial Arts Division of Athletic Balance, LLC

There also use to be a Yiquan school in Chinatown, but that I would have to look for myself, also not sure if it still exists

The only other one I know of is way out in Western Ma and I am not sure if he is still teaching or not.

OP
J

Julinho A

White Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps this isn't what you want, but there is a low-key Chen Taijiquan teacher of Chen Zhaokui's lineage near you. And similar to Xingyiquan, line drills are a big aspect for them. With some of those drills, there have been some who thought: "Huh? That looks like Xingyiquan."

Their particular approach is also excruciatingly painful on the legs. It's likely the most painful "internal" art (self-inflicting pain) you can come across on this planet.

But, it also sounds like you're mainly interested in striking. So perhaps this place wouldn't be of interest to you since it's also big on standup grappling.
Thanks for this!

I'm relatively open to Tiajiquan and more grappling-focused internal arts (I studied Yang style in the distant past), my experience has just been that the schools that I've found around here have focused less on application and more on forms and health. But it sounds like the teacher you mention might focus on application and "pressure testing" (for lack of a better word).

May I ask what instructor/school you're referring to?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks for this!

I'm relatively open to Tiajiquan and more grappling-focused internal arts (I studied Yang style in the distant past), my experience has just been that the schools that I've found around here have focused less on application and more on forms and health. But it sounds like the teacher you mention might focus on application and "pressure testing" (for lack of a better word).

What about Vincent Chu (Gin Soon Tai Chi Chuan Federation), he use to do applications.

There also use to be Marin Spivack, Chen Zhaokui Taijiquan Association

Teapot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for this!

This school is very rich with applications and has "pressure testing".

However, usually, the problem is that this place is too "legit" for most people. What I mean is... they start out thinking: "Oh! I am so passionate. I will work really hard." then after they experience it, usually, they're both awestruck and traumatized. The quitting rate is very high here. Class size is very small. The duration of the class is several hours.

If you are an absolute masochist, then I recommend this place. If you are not a masochist, then I do not recommend this place.

There have been Taijiquan teachers who tried it out and reportedly said that they could not last a fraction of a single sequence in the form. It's too painful.

Last edited:
OP
J

Julinho A

White Belt
Reaction score
Marcus Opalenik went virtual only..... well that's sad.
Sorry my post was misleading, it looks like Marcus Opalenik did seems to restart teaching out of another school that's in Millis, which is well over an hour away for me, although that is a potential option.
Have you checked Adison Martin?
I had not come across his name, would you recommend him?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry my post was misleading, it looks like Marcus Opalenik did seems to restart teaching out of another school that's in Millis, which is well over an hour away for me, although that is a potential option.

I have never trained with him, but I have talked with him and he seems pretty serious, And I think he may have the same xingyiquan lineage as my teacher did, who use to teach in Boston. And that was a darn good class. I would say it is worth a try

I heard Marcus was teaching outside of Boston, at one point in Western Ma, where the other person I know of is.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

if you go, please let us know what you think

OP
J

Julinho A

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I wanted to follow up in case others are interested about the current options for in-person Xingyi in the Massachusetts area:

1. Marcus Opalenik no longer teaches regular classes, but holds occasional workshops (has a Facebook page, Yi Zong New England)

2. Adison Martin unfortunately didn't respond to email/phonecalls, and doesn't appear to be actively teaching

3. Derek Notman teaches Xinyiliuhequan (which is certainly rare) in-person, and seems very knowledgeable. He lives on Martha's Vineyard (Island Physical Cultural)

4. Two Shanxi Xingyi instructors under Tom Bisio live in Massachusetts: JohnPaul Magenis (in Great Barrington) and Wes Tasker (Somerville Martial Arts Institute). I started training privately with Wes Tasker recently and definitely would recommend

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I wanted to follow up in case others are interested about the current options for in-person Xingyi in the Massachusetts area:

1. Marcus Opalenik no longer teaches regular classes, but holds occasional workshops (has a Facebook page, Yi Zong New England)

2. Adison Martin unfortunately didn't respond to email/phonecalls, and doesn't appear to be actively teaching

3. Derek Notman teaches Xinyiliuhequan (which is certainly rare) in-person, and seems very knowledgeable. He lives on Martha's Vineyard (Island Physical Cultural)

4. Two Shanxi Xingyi instructors under Tom Bisio live in Massachusetts: JohnPaul Magenis (in Great Barrington) and Wes Tasker (Somerville Martial Arts Institute). I started training privately with Wes Tasker recently and definitely would recommend
Thanks for the update and info on the those teachers

I was thinking about John Paul Magenis in Great Barrington a while back. Good to hear Wes Tasker is good

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've met Wes. He used to attend some of our uechi- ryu seminar camps. He seemed very knowledgeable and I found him to be a good guy.

Latest Discussions