books/DVD's

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello sir, hello ma'am! I wonder sometimes if books can actually teach you technique. I am not sure how a person can read about a technique and be able to do it. how is your experience with chinese ma books and most importantly what is your top 100 chinese MA books, and top 100 chinese MA book authors? -- note, i dont want a 100, but hopefully more than one good one. thanks oh oh DVD's too!

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think books can be a very good supplement to your instruction, but instruction must come from one who knows.

Reading the words 'step back into a right neutral bow', and actually doing it, are two different things; even assuming I textually describe exactly what a right neutral bow is.

But, let us assume for a moment that my writing skills are specific enough to properly convey the instruction, and your reading and comprehension skills are sophisticated enough to discern my instructions, you would then find, I think, the time to learn to execute the technique properly would take much more time than if we were standing in the same room.

I show you ... you do it ... (maybe) I correct a minor transferance error ... you do it again.

Books can be helpful, but an instructor is, I think, required.

Good Luck

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'm very strong in my opinions of training from books or videos. While I guess you can "learn" a technique or form from a book I honestly do not believe you can truly learn it in the way you need to be able to use it. I really enjoy reading books especially books about kung fu, but not neccessarily technique books. An exception to this is someone who has excperience in kung fu reading something like Dr. Yang's Chin na books. However, I allways take those I like to my sifu for serious understanding of how to apply them and hook them up in a real situation.

A few of my favorite Kung Fu books though are:
The Sword Polishers Record - Adam Hsu
Comprehensive Applications of Shaolin Chin Na - Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming
And of course:
The Seven Star Mantis Book: 12 Keywords of Attack and Defense - Raymond Fogg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
mantis said:
Hello sir, hello ma'am! I wonder sometimes if books can actually teach you technique. I am not sure how a person can read about a technique and be able to do it. how is your experience with chinese ma books and most importantly what is your top 100 chinese MA books, and top 100 chinese MA book authors? -- note, i dont want a 100, but hopefully more than one good one. thanks

I would say that if you have a solid background in martial arts, then you could learn some things from a book, if the book is well written and/or well illustrated. Without a solid foundation, however, forget it.

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming does good in all of his books I've looked at. He tries to get information from "ancient" scrolls/books to translate and gives the exact translations and then his interperations.

Of course I don't think you can learn an MA from his books, but they will help out.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can I please get more feedback on this?

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i was lucky enough to attend dr yang's seminars before buying any of his books and dvds. the material makes excellent reference. i've worked with some who've gone through the books and/or videos before the seminars, and as a whole, their techniques are empty.

i'd say perfect combination: 1. attend seminar, 2. read books to learn theory, 3. use dvds to recall and improve technique, 4. join or form a study group to practice regularly, 5. back to seminar.

pete

Latest Discussions