Bong Soo Han and his Style

S

SThiess

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into studying Hapkido and I am in the L.A. area. Now I know that Master Bong Soo Han has his school here in Santa Monica. can anyone please give me some feedback about his teachings, his form of Hapkido ? Is he good ? As people like to say. I know that he was highly respected by the founder of the system I am studying right know, SGM Ed Parker. But maybe someone has somemore first hand information he would like to share. Or are there other forms or teachers of Hapkido your would suggest ?? I would really appreciate as much information as possible. Thanks Folks !!

OP
D

Disco

He has a good reputation, as you also pointed out (Mr. Parker).
As far as his style, Hapkido is Hapkido, the same as a rose is a rose. If you have the opportunity to study with the person who is credited with introducing Hapkido to America, you make me envious. Hope this helps, I think you will enjoy Hapkido.

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't have first hand info, but I have also heard good things about Bong Soo Han.

Originally posted by Disco
As far as his style, Hapkido is Hapkido, the same as a rose is a rose.

Being a Hapkido practitioner, I would have to say that there are big differences between certain styles of Hapkido.

From the the inside, it's like saying that all Kenpo/Kempo is the same. As we all know this is just not the case.

If you have the opportunity to study with the person who is credited with introducing Hapkido to America, you make me envious.

I wish I could get on the mat with him. Enjoy it! :)

Take care.

greendragon

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Chris all Hapkido is not created equally,, from what I know about Bong Soo Han's style of Hapkido is that it is more kick orientated and less joint lock orientated,, he is a GREAT martial artist. There is also Kim's Hapkido in Los Angeles with quite a few dojangs,, my buddy Les Connard has a dojang in Monrovia, a suburb of Los Angeles and he is an awesome teacher and fighter, his Hapkido is more fight orientated,, check him out if you get a chance...
Mike Tomlinson

OP
D

Disco

Glad you guys came back with some input. I opened another thread a while back on the subject of differences in Hapkido. Did'nt get a whole lot of response at the time. Perhaps we can open the learning curve again. What do you feel are the major differences (not just the % of kicks to locks/throws) between the styles. I still adhere to the basic physical context of Hapkido is the same, strikes, locks and throws. Looking forward to your replys. :asian:

greendragon

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is hard to say, I think some styles of Hapkido emphasize different portions of the curriculum more than others, I think this is due to the instructors preferences to certain techniques that are probably based on what he can do better than other things...

for instance,, I teach more of a grappling, low kicking, joint locking, close in striking version of Hapkido.... I mean we go over EVERYTHING but I seem to emphasize the grappling range more,, and a LOT of gun and knife work... just my strenths over my weaker point, I come from a wrestling, football history so that is probably why I love the close in range
for instance, I don't like the low drop spinning heel and roundhouse kicks,, I still teach them and they have their place but certain techniques I think leave you at a self defense disadvantage and I believe those kicks along with some of the flashy high kicks have a very low ratio of success in a "real" self defense situation, that doesn't mean I cut them out of my Hapkido curriculum I just "emphasize" more close in work,, my take anyway,,

I have been to Hapkido dojangs that are awesome at kicking but can't do joint locks for sh-t and maybe these instructors come from a TKD background first and foremost, and I have been to dojangs that NEVER take any falls again probably not a grappling background, and I have been to a few dojangs that can do kicking and joint locking and throwing all good and that is truly impressive.

I am not saying one is superior, just different takes on the same art. I think if you go to a Hapkido school you should watch a couple of classes before you sign up to see if what is stressed the most. Then you can decide what you are more interested in personally.
I mean lets face the facts, sometimes it boils down to bodytype. I love to kick but I am 5'9" and 210 lbs with 19 inch arms and 28 inch thighs, I look like a midget gorilla!! So I know that even if I practice jumping spinning kicks forever I am not going to use them as effectively as say someone who is tall and lanky and can kick like a gazelle, sometimes I think people don't think about their bodytype enough before they make decisions. Now I am not advocating pidgeonholing yourself into a certain sytle just "because" of your bodytype, but you should also be aware of it when you concentrate on the success or failures behind your use of self defense techniques.
Michael Tomlinson

OP
D

Disco

On the aspect of body mechanics. Most people don't take the time or effort to investigate if they would be suited for the particular art they wish to practice. Granted, you can adapt and train your body to respond, but it would be much easier and more beneficial to the individual if they were more naturally suited.

We train along similiar lines, although I do advocate using low line kicks quite a bit. I will have to make the effort to drop in on you, if you would'nt mind. Always eager to share and learn.

Thanks for the reply.:asian:

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mike,

Who else do you know in LA? Anyone near Thousand Oaks? I'm moving out that way in about a week, and if you could point me in the direction of some decent Hapkidoin to practice with, I'd be greatful. Thousand Oaks is to the North of LA.

Regards,

OP
S

SThiess

Thanks for the reply guys, really appreciate it.

OP
G

Galvatron

Bong Soo Han ROCKED in "Kentucky Fried Movie" !!!!

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It may be late for this, but after doing some research, and not having the time to go down myslef to see him, it is my understanding that his hapkido is more like TKD tha true Hapkido. Go down and try it and let me know what you think.

OP
H

hapkiyoosool

My instructor use to teach with Bong-Soo Han in Korea during the Korean war. He has changed the style A LOT after moving to the US.

I brought my instructor to the US last year for his first visit. He never wants to come back. I talked him into it for next spring, and we will have a big seminar.

I am planning on seeing GM Han in April at his 35 Anniversery. I think it will be great to see him again. After all, he is like an uncle to me.

Hello Chris in CT. Nice to see you everywhere I go. :D

Thank you everyone! I am new here, don't slam me too hard yet.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How did he change it? More kicks or something, or do you mean that he made it easier for Americans or the like?

OP
M

Master Todd Miller

My first Hapkido experience was with Bong Soo Hans group and I thought it was very good but VERY Taekwondo orientated.

Todd Miller

OP
H

hapkiyoosool

Well, there are more kicks in Bong-Soo Han's style than we do. My instructor never taught in America so he only knows how to teach the way he learned. I have learned how to teach Americans, it's different. Not bad or worse. Many instructors water it down so that we can learn at our own speed. Not for Americans and the like.

In Korea, it's their way. Not at a comfortable speed for anyone. Learn or leave. Period.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
He has a good reputation, as you also pointed out (Mr. Parker).
As far as his style, Hapkido is Hapkido, the same as a rose is a rose. If you have the opportunity to study with the person who is credited with introducing Hapkido to America, you make me envious. Hope this helps, I think you will enjoy Hapkido.

For the record: Bong Soo did not introduce Hap Ki Do to America. The first Hap Ki Do in the US was on the corner of Crenshaw and Jefferson in Los Angeles, opened by Sea Oh Choi in 1964. Choi sponsored Bong Soo to come to this country.

However Han popularized the art for his double of Tom laughlin in the movie "Billy Jack." At the time the movie was made, Han was teaching on Vermont Avenue and 41st street across the street from Manual Arts High School.

My college room mate received his black from Han in 1967 and I from Choi in 69 while simultaneously studying Kenpo.

That being said he is first rate and a good friend of mine. Go see him and tell him Ron Chapél said "hello."

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by hapkiyoosool
Hello Chris in CT. Nice to see you everywhere I go. :D

Thank you everyone! I am new here, don't slam me too hard yet.

Hey welcome aboard! You do get around. :)

Take care

greendragon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ron,
Good to hear an old Hapkidoist on here.. What was it like working out with GM Choi in L.A. in the early years? I have the old black belt magazine of GM Choi demonstrating Hapkido in I think,, 1965... cool article...

What did you guys work on the most Joint locks? Kicks? etc... I would be very interested to know since GM Choi was one of the very first and a founding members of the old KHA, I have heard his technique was awesome and that he was a fighter,correct me if I am wrong but I also heard that he was quite the fighter in Korea before he left,, that is awesome bro...
Michael Tomlinson
4th Dan Sin Moo Hapkido
3rd Dan Korea Hapkido Assoc.
3rd Dan Moo Ye Kwan
zdragon.bitbytenibble.com

Latest Discussions