Bock Lesner vs. Frank Mir?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Brock is a brawler and he dound out that technique can be devastating in the ring. I beleive he has alot to learn to really be competitive.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Brock is a brawler and he dound out that technique can be devastating in the ring. I beleive he has alot to learn to really be competitive.

His handler's really blew it by putting him in their with a former UFC champ. Still with a little more training he will be a force.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brock needs to get some more grappling. Mir set up that that ankle and it seem like Brock didn't even see it coming. If I were Brock, I'd get on the horn and get hooked up with Greg Nelson, a bjj blackbelt and mma trainer in Brooklyn Park MN. This is the same guy who trained Shaun Sherk.

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was really impressed with Lesnar's takedowns, but his ground n pound was not as effectual as possible, and Mir showed that technique beats strength in Jiu-jitsu.

There is potential in Lesnar, but what happened was no surprise to me. Mir is a guy who has been training and fighting all his life. Lesnar was a great amateur wrestler who went into show business and decided to have his second MMA bout against a former UFC champ. Not wise.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
amazing...nicely done. good thing that he got the leglock when he did because lesner seemed faster and tougher to me. i admit, i thought mir was going to get his *** kicked.- one bad thing was i think that his first kick after being stopped for hits to back of the head.. the kick looked really unstable and not powerful.
one really positive thing that stood out to me, was how relaxed he was, during and after the fight. i found that to be quite interesting.

j

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's the same thing as back when pro football players got the ridiculous idea in their heads that they knew how to box, went over, and got owned. *shrug*

Yes to play at the highest level in almost any sport takes time, patience and a willingness to learn how the game is played. Lesner seems to be willing to learn but he needs to put in the time if he is going to be really successful.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes to play at the highest level in almost any sport takes time, patience and a willingness to learn how the game is played. Lesner seems to be willing to learn but he needs to put in the time if he is going to be really successful.

Yes this is true but he has been at the high level and he knows this, so why is he not getting the right type of training for this sport. This is a question that needs to be looked at in depth.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, Mir was sustaining damage throughout, but even an untrained groundfighter such as myself, could see he was setting up that leg. Of course, I'm not saying that I would have noticed in the heat of battle, any more than Lesnar did ... LOL ... good job Mir, that was one big MF'er you beat.

ChadWarner

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think the match was somewhat controversial. Mir was getting beat on then the point was taken away and they were stood back up. What I saw was Mir turn his head to avoid facial contact, I think the point and warning were premature. Might have turned out different if it was not for that, Lesnar had Mir controlled and was pounding on Mirs head... But on Mirs behalf he set Lesnar up very well with two armbar attempts and then the leg lock.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Brock needs to get some more grappling. Mir set up that that ankle and it seem like Brock didn't even see it coming. If I were Brock, I'd get on the horn and get hooked up with Greg Nelson, a bjj blackbelt and mma trainer in Brooklyn Park MN. This is the same guy who trained Shaun Sherk.
I believe he was training at the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy with Nick "the goat" Thompson and Greg Nelson before this fight.
http://beat.bodoglife.com/sports/nick-the-goat-thompson-on-training-with-brock-lesnar-19399.html

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5ggkLNO8DDWYrLSFLgntlrW5SMYTA

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lesner is a HUGE dude with some good speed. With some work on his technique he could be a force to be reckoned with. That being said. Mir was a poor choice to start a fight career on.

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know. I hear everyone saying that Mir was a poor first choice, but if they had set Lesnar up with some nobody or a subpar fighter (which he would not have agreed to anyway) there would be a bunch of posts about how he got someone who was too easy for him when he would have beat the crap out of them. (Kind of like his first MMA fight.)

I think Frank was the perfect person to set him up with. Lesnar wanted a challenge and he got it, and I agree that the match would have ended a lot differently if the ref hadn't of stopped the match to stand him up for a 1.5 shot to the back of the head (seriously).

Lesnar had unbelievable strength and agility. He will learn by trial I imagine and he will learn well. His stand up was better than Mir that night and even though his ground and pound wasn't as effective as it could have been he was still smashing the crap out of Mir's face and Mir was desperately trying to figure out what the hell to do.

Kudos to Mir for weathering the storm of large fists raining down on his face and finding that easy submission. With a little more experience I think Brock is going to prove the doubters wrong and demolish some people.

- ft

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know. I hear everyone saying that Mir was a poor first choice, but if they had set Lesnar up with some nobody or a subpar fighter (which he would not have agreed to anyway) there would be a bunch of posts about how he got someone who was too easy for him when he would have beat the crap out of them. (Kind of like his first MMA fight.)

Yep.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brock Lesnar: $250,000
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: $200,000
Tim Sylvia: $100,000
Frank Mir: $80,000
Nate Marquardt: $52,000
Ricardo Almeida: $40,000
Tyson Griffin: $36,000
Jeremy Horn: $25,000
Chris Lytle: $24,000
Rob Emerson: $16,000
Marvin Eastman: $14,000
Tim Boetsch: $12,000
Terry Martin: $12,000
Gleison Tibau: $11,000
David Heath: $6,000
Keita Nakamura: $5,000
Rob Yundt: $5,000
Kyle Bradley: $4,000

Brock Lesnar gets paid well. :eye-popping:

Ricardo Almeida looked really excellent. I'm glad he's back and fighting under a 6 fight contract. But he hasn't fought in 4 years, yet he pulled that kind of contract and an opponent from the bottom of the pay scale. Guess he's easing his way back into the division? Or will there be a title fight his next time out? You never know with the UFC.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the match was somewhat controversial. Mir was getting beat on then the point was taken away and they were stood back up. What I saw was Mir turn his head to avoid facial contact, I think the point and warning were premature. Might have turned out different if it was not for that, Lesnar had Mir controlled and was pounding on Mirs head... But on Mirs behalf he set Lesnar up very well with two armbar attempts and then the leg lock.

Yep your right there, since when is there a stand up due to strikes to the back of the head?!? From what i know only a verbal warning is issued, Frank mir was steam rolled straight away it was obvious that Mir could not handle Brocks power ( not o mention his actually control on the ground was not that bad ) the fact of the matter was though that Mir caught him with a leg lock, its actually a well known weakness of wreastlers i was with Rogan when he called the sub by leg lock before the fight.

He did well though i was impressed.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I give kudos to Frank Mir. He stood in there and took the beating that Brock was giving to him. I also think that it may have ended differently if they didnt stand back up. Brock will be a contender once he learns more ground techniques to go along with his ground and pound.

Also, I guess Kurt Angle was taking notes on how to do the knee lock to go with his ankle lock. lol

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brock needs alot of ring polish before he can really be a top contender, his ground game is wreek at best and once he fully understands how the game is played he might be OK. Notice I said Might Be.

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brock needs alot of ring polish before he can really be a top contender, his ground game is wreek at best and once he fully understands how the game is played he might be OK. Notice I said Might Be.

Lol, Terry this is like the 3rd post you've made saying this. I think a majority of the people here just didn't see the same fight you did buddy! lol

Brock was explosive and showed that he IS going to be a contender not "might be".

All in good fun, buddy. It's not like we get anything out of this if he does or doesn't become an MMA phenom! ;)

Latest Discussions