blocks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In TKD what blocks do you teach?

we teach low blocks, high, scoop or inside out, outside in, sudo open and close hand, x-block low and high. Arbachichi same as outside in, we also teach to block with the shin of the leg for incoming kicks.

Do you know of any other blockd that I have missed.
Terry

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

we teach low blocks, high, scoop or inside out, outside in, sudo open and close hand, x-block low and high. Arbachichi same as outside in, we also teach to block with the shin of the leg for incoming kicks.

Terry
I would suggest using the tip of your compact elbow to both intercept body shots and to stick into insteps. When doing a shin block, absorbing the kick and kicking the leg back off again can really cause some timing issues in you opponent.
Sean

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
I would suggest using the tip of your compact elbow to both intercept body shots and to stick into insteps. When doing a shin block, absorbing the kick and kicking the leg back off again can really cause some timing issues in you opponent.
Sean

Sound advice thanks
Terry

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do all those you mentioned Terry but not that shin block. I also thought of the palm block down and to the side for re-direction. May think of more later. TW

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
We do all those you mentioned Terry but not that shin block. I also thought of the palm block down and to the side for re-direction. May think of more later. TW
Your familiarity with shin blocks would depend on the liklyhood of your getting kicked in the legs in sparring.
Sean

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing is not a matter of technique but a matter of mental attitude

To think of a bloack not just as a block of the attack but as a counter-strike to the weapon. You can think of blocking not jus as trying to keep form getting hit but as a weapon of attacking and hurting whatver is being used to strike you. Coupled with that is using 'blocks' as strikes themselves to hit certain targets. An innerblock, or 'outside in' block can be a strike with the forearm to the tricep, etc...

I guess the differnce between a 'strike' and a 'block' can be pretty small

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do all the usual ones .. high block, inside, outside, low block, knife hand block, palm block, ect. I also do the shin block. Not because it's taught, but I learned it in TSD. I feel it is a useful weapon, so I kept it. We don't kick to the leg (except in SD training), but I can use the shin block to stop someones kick if I see it coming and/or if the timing is right.

FearlessFreep, I agree.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
One thing is not a matter of technique but a matter of mental attitude

To think of a bloack not just as a block of the attack but as a counter-strike to the weapon. You can think of blocking not jus as trying to keep form getting hit but as a weapon of attacking and hurting whatver is being used to strike you. Coupled with that is using 'blocks' as strikes themselves to hit certain targets. An innerblock, or 'outside in' block can be a strike with the forearm to the tricep, etc...

I guess the differnce between a 'strike' and a 'block' can be pretty small
Pre-emptive blocking if you will. Ha Ha

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
We teach the blocks Terry mentioned, plus using X-blocks to the side using only the arms, plus using arm with leg for the X-block. We also use some slicing blocks (low & high) and palm blocks from our Chuan-fa lineage that emphasize a more "re-direct" philosophy instead of using the block as a weapon.

I'm not really certain where our leg/arm block combinations come from. Certainly some come from our karate lineage, but some may have come from Tae Kyun as my teacher studied Tae Kyun with Song Duk Ki in the 1960's. http://www.kimsookarate.com/gallery-old-days/songsoo.html

R. McLain

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think Jay's point can't be emphasized enough. Your block is a strike, is a joint lock.

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

Terry
Can't add much, really. The middle (mumtong) blocks, but I think that was just an oversite. And maybe the addition of double blocks, (i.e. wesantel makki) but they're done with what you've already mentioned in combinations.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
To think of a block not just as a block of the attack but as a counter-strike to the weapon. You can think of blocking not jus as trying to keep form getting hit but as a weapon of attacking and hurting whatver is being used to strike you. Coupled with that is using 'blocks' as strikes themselves to hit certain targets. An innerblock, or 'outside in' block can be a strike with the forearm to the tricep, etc...

In a lot of ways, the block is a strike is a block line of thinking doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The bulk of the blocks used in their basic applications are designed to redirect force rather than oppose it directly. They're not really transferring a great deal of energy into the attacking limb. Blocks that have a basic application involving actually involving limb damage, like the 9 shaped block (one arm comes down, the other moves up vs a punch, so that you catch the attacker's arm right before and after the elbow, ideally breaking it) don't really rely on the block is a strike principle either.

For example, someone tries to hit you with a front kick to the gut, and you throw a downblock, you're vectoring the force to the side as it is coming straight in. Has anyone ended up with a broken shin, or a shattered ankle from this manuver? People take "block is a strike" to heart, and then they try to apply the blocks inappropriately, like using a forearm to block a round kick so that you are directly matching force with force. The arm routinely loses in this confrontation. Leg's heavier, and the shin (which is usually what they aim at in that case) is a stronger structure. You get a broken arm for your trouble.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marginal said:
In a lot of ways, the block is a strike is a block line of thinking doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The bulk of the blocks used in their basic applications are designed to redirect force rather than oppose it directly. ......

For example, someone tries to hit you with a front kick to the gut, and you throw a downblock, you're vectoring the force to the side as it is coming straight in. Has anyone ended up with a broken shin, or a shattered ankle from this manuver? People take "block is a strike" to heart, and then they try to apply the blocks inappropriately, like using a forearm to block a round kick so that you are directly matching force with force. The arm routinely loses in this confrontation. Leg's heavier, and the shin (which is usually what they aim at in that case) is a stronger structure. You get a broken arm for your trouble.

Marginal, think of using your footwork to sidestep the front kick you've described and that low block can be a hammer-fist strike to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve (put your arms down at your sides and bend your fingers at the 2nd joint-you are right there!).

Anyone who tries to block force on force is a beginner or foolish-you are right, the arm will always lose. But you can't think of the block in a vacuum.

Miles

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Miles said:
Marginal, think of using your footwork to sidestep the front kick you've described and that low block can be a hammer-fist strike to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve (put your arms down at your sides and bend your fingers at the 2nd joint-you are right there!).

Anyone who tries to block force on force is a beginner or foolish-you are right, the arm will always lose. But you can't think of the block in a vacuum.

I definitely agree. They do have a lot of play. Use 'em as inserts, morph 'em into throws, takedowns, or what have you. It's all good as long as you're not trying something that toally disregards the basic principles behind the technique. That was my only real point. :)

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing that interested me last week was a series of double handed blocks we did. The double knife hand block is pretty common, but we were doing a double knife hand high-block/kneck strike (as is found in Taegeuk Sa-Jang) but were doing it from both sides. Another one that was interesting was a double fist block, but one fist was in a typical outer (or in-to-out) block and the other arm was parallel to the ground with the first supporting the hand of the bock. I'm not sure how much of this was just coordination and focus exercise but it was interesting combining different basic blocks into new combinations

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

These are most of the blocks I teach with their Korean terms.

(note: Korean Hangul (writing) is translated to English phonetically (by the way it sounds). You will undoubtedly see many spelling variations. I try to capture the most simple and acurate translation from the actual Korean text to the sounds made in the English language, and seek the origin of the words in a Korean Dictionary where I can.)

For fellow linguists here, I apoligize for the basics. This is for those who don't know and are seeking more knowledge.

-the letter A is pronounced "Ah" as in Brach candy or like the "o" in hot.
-the letter E is pronounced "Ay" as in Bake a cake.
-the letter I is pronounced "EE" as in Ski (like a winter Ski slope).
-the letter O is pronounced "OH" as in Go or No.
-the letter U is pronounced "UU" as in flute or you.
-the letters AE are pronounced like the words back or tack.
-the letters EO or UH are pronounced "UH" as in up or "AW" as in crawl.
-the letters Eu are pronounced "eu" as in good or book .

Arae Makgi . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Low Block
Hansonnal Arae Makgi . . . . . . . . Single Knife-Hand Low Block
An Palmok Momtong Makgi . . . . . Inner Forearm Body Block (inside to out)
Deung Sonnal Momtong Makgi . . . Ridge-Hand Body Block (inside to out)
Bakkat Palmok Momtong Makgi . . Outer Forearm Body Block (inside to out)
Hansonnal Momtong Makgi . . . . . Single Knife-Hand Body Block
Momtong An Makgi . . . . . . . . . . Inward Body Block (with outer forearm)
Hansonal Momtong An Makgi . . . Single Knife-Hand Inward Body Block
Eolgul Yop Makgi . . . . . . . . . . . Face Side block
Eolgul Hansonnal Yop Makgi . . . . Face Knife-Hand Side Block
Uhlgul Makgi . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Face Block (High Block or Rising Block)
Bakkat Palmok Naryeo Makgi . . . .Outer Forearm Downward Block
Hansonnal Naryeo Makgi . . . . . . .Single Knife-Hand Downward Block
Sonbadak Naryeo Makgi . . . . . . . Palm-Hand Downward Block
Sonbadak An Momtong Makgi . . . Palm-Hand Inward Body Block
Sonbadak Miro Makgi . . . . . . . . . Palm-Hand Pushing Block
Sonbadak Nulro Makgi . . . . . . . . Palm-Hand Pressing Block
Sonbadak Deuro Makgi . . . . . . . .Palm-Hand Scooping Block
Bandalson Bakkat Makgi . . . . . . . Arc-Hand Outward Block
Bandalson An Makgi . . . . . . . . . . Arc-Hand Inward Block
Du Bandalson Makgi . . . . . . . . . Double Arc Hand Block
Kutcha Makgi . . . . . . . . . . . . . .9-shape Block
Ja Hyung Wi Makgi . . . . . . . . . . .U-shape Block
Bakkat Palmok Hechyo Makgi . . . . Outer Forearm Wedging Block
An Palmok Hechyo Makgi . . . . . . . Inner Forearm Wedging Block
Santeul Makgi . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Mountain Block (W-shape Block)
Keumgang Momtong Makgi . . . . . .Diamond Mountain Body Block
Sonnal Keumgan Momtong Makgi . .Knife-Hand Diamond Mountain Body Block
Keumgang Arae Makgi . . . . . . . . .Diamond Mountain Low Block
Sonnal Keumgan Arae Makgi . . . . .Knife-Hand Diamond Mountain Low Block
Eotguhlrio Makgi . . . . . . . . . . . . .X Block (cross block)
Guhdeulrio An Palmok Makgi . . . . .Augmented Inner Forearm Block
Guhdeulrio Bakkat Palmok Makgi . . .Augmented Outer Forearm BLock
Gawi Makgi . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Scissor Block
Sonnal Gawi Makgi . . . . . . . . . . . Knife-Hand Scissor Block

Just to name a few. :)

Sr. Master Eisenhart

Latest Discussions