Bless you?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are way too many idiots in the world. Seems that the student being polite and considerate of another student should trump any tiny political correctness concerns here.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read the whole story, and it didn't seem to be quite what the first few paragraphs made it out to be.

"It was brought to the District’s attention a few days ago that students were disciplined for being disruptive in class. The teacher believed that students were dramatically sneezing and responding in repetitive fashion “Bless You”.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The prosaic truth of the 'real' story is much less fun :(.

I was all ready to give the example of how I say "Bless you" to the Muslim fellow I work with when he sneezes and how he is not insulted because he knows I mean it as a kindness ... now I can't tell that tale ... BOOOOOO! :lol:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, actually the teacher's comment was pretty dumb. because we don't believe in losing our soul when sneezing (I thought that was yawning...) we don't have to say 'bless you' any more...
Seriously.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL, actually the teacher's comment was pretty dumb. because we don't believe in losing our soul when sneezing (I thought that was yawning...) we don't have to say 'bless you' any more...
Seriously.

Maybe we just need to take a page from the Germans :D

If I said the "S" word (the one that rhymes with 'spit') around my mother, I'd be in a heap of trouble. However, if I say "scheist" as my expletive, she just chuckles.

So, I propose we say "Gesundheit". Many people do already, plus it means "To your health!" Problem solved. :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I said the "S" word (the one that rhymes with 'spit') around my mother, I'd be in a heap of trouble. However, if I say "scheist" as my expletive, she just chuckles.

So, I propose we say "Gesundheit". Many people do already, plus it means "To your health!" Problem solved. :D

I use that one too, a lot of military and ex military do due to spending time in Germany. :)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You should not say Scheisse when somebody sneezes....unless they fling snot at you....

:D

;)

I know...I am a jerk this morning!

Gesundheit.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should not say Scheisse when somebody sneezes....unless they fling snot at you....

:D

;)

I know...I am a jerk this morning!

Gesundheit.

HAHAHA!! Actually after being up all night taking care of....stupid stuff, I needed the laugh :D

There was also the time when I muttered the Scheisse, at my mom's house, forgetting I had my local field guy in Ramstein on speakerphone. He laughed and asked "What other German words do you know?" I said I don't know any others, just that one.

His response: "That's enough" :D

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Scheisse sagt man nicht, sonst ist die Bilding im Arsch.

There is a German kid in my son's band. One of the cool guys, and as any of that age, prone to use strong language, so I told my son to say the above when it happened again.

"What dopes that mean?" he asked, so I told him, don't say s***, or the education is in the crapper.

At first he was hesitant, but then had me write it down. A few days later he came home beaming. He had used the phrase, much to the delight of the older guy. :lol:

(Arsch is actually the body part that rhymes with donkey ;))

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now when someone sneezes, I just stare at them angrily. If they get to a door ahead of me and have their hands full, I stand and wait until they shift things around so they can open the door. If I'm walking out a door, I let it close in the face of the people behind me.

Because I don't want to offend anyone by saying "Bless you" when they sneeze or make someone think they're weak or incapable by holding a door for them. Screw everybody, I keep my mouth shut and do nothing polite for anyone.

It does not matter why *I* am saying something nice or holding a door. What matters is how *you* perceive it. So if I mean only to be polite, but you see it as a sexist or Christian-forcing or otherwise rude response, you are obviously correct. What you want is all that matters.

And that's the way we apparently want it now. I'm very PC, even if I'm a rude bastard. Hope you're all happy now. Sorry, I mean I hope you're all socially satisfied now. Happy has too many connotations that might offend.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now when someone sneezes, I just stare at them angrily. If they get to a door ahead of me and have their hands full, I stand and wait until they shift things around so they can open the door. If I'm walking out a door, I let it close in the face of the people behind me.

Because I don't want to offend anyone by saying "Bless you" when they sneeze or make someone think they're weak or incapable by holding a door for them. Screw everybody, I keep my mouth shut and do nothing polite for anyone.

It does not matter why *I* am saying something nice or holding a door. What matters is how *you* perceive it. So if I mean only to be polite, but you see it as a sexist or Christian-forcing or otherwise rude response, you are obviously correct. What you want is all that matters.

And that's the way we apparently want it now. I'm very PC, even if I'm a rude bastard. Hope you're all happy now. Sorry, I mean I hope you're all socially satisfied now. Happy has too many connotations that might offend.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
:lfao:

Latest Discussions