Black belt teaching material

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my system of Chinese wrestling (Shuai Chiao), the blue belt requirement is 30 "butterfly hands principles". After that, the 1st degree black belt requirement is 30 "4 sides and 2 doors principles". I have 2 new students who have passed the blue belt and move into black belt. We start to work on the 4 sides and 2 doors.

Instead of teaching

- throw 1,
- throw 2,
- …,
- throw 30,

I intend to create several SC forms to help students to remember the material. The form can be constructed as:

1. Separate hands,
2. Cover hand,
3. Shin bite,
4. Reverse shin bite,
5. foot sweep,
6. Neck choke,
7. Ankle pick,
8. Twist and spring,
9. Outer bowing,
10. Switch hands,
11. Knee seize,
12. foot sweep,
13. Switch hands,
14. Knee seize,
15. Inner hook,
16, Separate hands,
17, Shoulder strike,
18, Knee seize,
19, Inner hook,
20. Separate hands,
21. Right inner hook,
22. Left inner hook,
23. ...

1. 1 - 6 is the 1st combo sequence.
2. 7 - 9 is the 2nd combo sequence.
3. 10 -12 is the 3rd combo sequence.
4. 13 -15 is the 4th combo sequence.
5. 16 -19 is the 5th combo sequence.
6. 20 - 22 is the 6th combo sequence.

By teaching this form first, students can learn the logic connection between each move. The purpose of this form is only try to help students to remember what they have learned.

Nobody has ever taught a throwing art this way. What's your opinion on this teaching method?

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my system of Chinese wrestling (Shuai Chiao), the blue belt requirement is 30 "butterfly hands principles". After that, the 1st degree black belt requirement is 30 "4 sides and 2 doors principles". I have 2 new students who have passed the blue belt and move into black belt. We start to work on the 4 sides and 2 doors.

Instead of teaching

- throw 1,
- throw 2,
- …,
- throw 30,

I intend to create several SC forms to help students to remember the material. The form can be constructed as:

1. Separate hands,
2. Cover hand,
3. Shin bite,
4. Reverse shin bite,
5. foot sweep,
6. Neck choke,
7. Ankle pick,
8. Twist and spring,
9. Outer bowing,
10. Switch hands,
11. Knee seize,
12. foot sweep,
13. Switch hands,
14. Knee seize,
15. Inner hook,
16, Separate hands,
17, Shoulder strike,
18, Knee seize,
19, Inner hook,
20. Separate hands,
21. Right inner hook,
22. Left inner hook,
23. ...

1. 1 - 6 is the 1st combo sequence.
2. 7 - 9 is the 2nd combo sequence.
3. 10 -12 is the 3rd combo sequence.
4. 13 -15 is the 4th combo sequence.
5. 16 -19 is the 5th combo sequence.
6. 20 - 22 is the 6th combo sequence.

By teaching this form first, students can learn the logic connection between each move. The purpose of this form is only try to help students to remember what they have learned.

Nobody has ever taught a throwing art this way. What's your opinion on this teaching method?
My opinion? I had to read it twice to make sure this posts was actually coming from you. Usually you're against forms. Do you have part of the form on video. I would be curious to have an idea of what this looks like.

For example:
1. Separate hands (I know a few ways to do this)
2. Cover hand, (Not sure what this is)
3. Shin bite, (I know what this is,)
4. Reverse shin bite, (I know what this is but am having a difficult time to picture a form that has a shin bite and flows into a reverse shin bite)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My opinion? I had to read it twice to make sure this posts was actually coming from you. Usually you're against forms. Do you have part of the form on video. I would be curious to have an idea of what this looks like.

For example:
1. Separate hands (I know a few ways to do this)
2. Cover hand, (Not sure what this is)
3. Shin bite, (I know what this is,)
4. Reverse shin bite, (I know what this is but am having a difficult time to picture a form that has a shin bite and flows into a reverse shin bite)
I'm strongly against the form training. This SC form just helps students to "remember" what they have learned. It's designed neither for "training" nor for "performance" purpose.

I have trained over 100 combo sequences myself. Sometime I can't even remember the whole thing. If I have a form and if I also record it on video, even if I don't train it daily, it can still help me to remember what I had learned in the past.

1. Separate hands - left hand parry down your opponent's right arm, right hand comb hair on his left harm (try to contact both of your opponent's arms).
2. Cover hand - left hand control his right wrist. right hand control on top of his right elbow joint.
2.5 Elbow strike - right elbow straight strike into his chest.
3. Shin bite - right leg shin bite on his right leg.
4. Reverse shin bite - when he steps back his right leg, you move in your right leg and shin bite on his left leg.
5. Foot sweep.

2. Cover hand.

3, 4, 5 can be seen in the following clip.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are you pressing on with the cover hand to bring the other person to his knees?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are you pressing on with the cover hand to bring the other person to his knees?
You press down on top of your opponent's elbow joint to bend his arm. You then move back in a 90 degree angle.

- Your leading right foot points north.
- Your back left foot points south.
- Your opponent pulls your right arm to the west.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of this seems to be similar to how my Master teaches Hapkido. There are 27 "techniques" (which are more like small forms) for the white belt level. A single technique will usually include:
  • A technique to break their grip or interrupt their attack
  • A technique to gain control over their structure
  • A technique to take them down to the ground
  • A technique to break their arm
Now, in a lot of cases, they're similar. The majority of those 27 techniques deal with the same 4 situations. Usually 3-5 techniques will use the same type of take-down and submission.

As a white belt, they're pretty strict. But as you get more advanced you learn more about the individual techniques. So I may try and do #14, but they resist it. So I take my initial move from #14 and do the take-down from #18 instead. But when they fall, I don't have the right leverage for the break in #18, so I use the break from #2 instead.