Black Belt Duration

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do we have any really high ranking practitioners on here? 6th Dan plus (or equivalent)?
I received my first Dan in the Bujinkan in 1993. Given the crazy nature of that grading system I can probably out-Dan anyone šŸ˜‚

I also have a black belt in BJJ from Roger Gracie. Zero chance of out-danning people with that system

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Made black belt in kenpo about five years ago. Got my first black belt, (American Karate) in 1974. Never stopped training.

In between there were a bunch of others. If you add them all together, them, and a few dollars can get you a decent cup of coffee.

In 1974 you could have said ā€œthem and fifty cents could get you a cup of coffee.ā€

Inflation is a be-ach.

Martial Arts no care. Just keep training. Itā€™s what all of us here do.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Made black belt in kenpo about five years ago. Got my first black belt, (American Karate) in 1974. Never stopped training.

In between there were a bunch of others. If you add them all together, them, and a few dollars can get you a decent cup of coffee.

In 1974 you could have said ā€œthem and fifty cents could get you a cup of coffee.ā€

Inflation is a be-ach.

Are you familiar with Ohana jiujitsu on Maui?

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

Inflation is a be-ach.

I always say "it's just a number" when asked about my ranks.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started training in 1985, and I earned my first dan in 1991, at age 11. The grading panel consisted of Grandmaster Sok Ho Kang, Master Chong Woong Kim, and Grand Master Il Joo Kim. Continuous training since 1985.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you familiar with Ohana jiujitsu on Maui?
Iā€™m not, no. I looked it up when you posted but then my phone had issues and I couldnā€™t get back to MT.

A Carlson Gracie affiliate if I remember correctly. And itā€™s in Kihei, which is quite warm. I havenā€™t been to Kihei in years.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
The only black belt I have ever had was a store bought one to keep my pants around my waist!!! But did get 1-2 months away from earning my third degree brown belt in karate, was out of it for 28 years before I could get back in it and at it, so had to learn it all over again which is great cause I am reinforcing what I learned back then, been at it now again for 2.5 years took about 1 year for the muscle memory to kick back in but it been great,good and grand!!!!!!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Iā€™m not, no. I looked it up when you posted but then my phone had issues and I couldnā€™t get back to MT.

A Carlson Gracie affiliate if I remember correctly. And itā€™s in Kihei, which is quite warm. I havenā€™t been to Kihei in years.
They have a nice lanai to train. Looks great!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They have a nice lanai to train. Looks great!
It does look good, not for me though. Having surgery in a few weeks, Iā€™ll be out of action for a while.
And I donā€™t like going to Kihei. Way too hot for me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my Shodan in the NGAA in 2001 or 2003 - I forget which. It was the year after my knee surgery, which I also donā€™t remember the year of. Something like 13 years of training to that point (which probably makes it 2001).

I completed the 2nd Dan curriculum, but my primary instructor (and I) left the association before I tested. I went independent and moved to my own curriculum before I got around to testing for nidan. I taught and trained on my own for almost another 20 years before Covid finally put me out of the circuit.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, but how do you pronounce "poo-bah"? (The correct spelling, according to linguistic sources I won't reveal.)
I decide how to spell it and say it since Iā€™m the effing poobah! Bring these ā€œsourcesā€ before me and have them prostate themselves. I mean prostrate. I mean apostate. I mean something something something.

Latest Discussions