Comparing and contrasting pattern/form sets

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As many of you know, I practice the Ch'ang H'on tul set, and I don't know any of the others. For those who practice more than one pattern/form set, what do you see as the primary difference(s) (if any) between the Ch'ang H'on tuls and the others you know? I'm asking this more from a philosophical than physical perspective - are the concepts that underlie the forms similar? Different? How so?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This would be easy for me the stances are the biggest difference and od course the swine wave. Would you like a more depth I will be gladly able to supply this to all who really like to know but if you do the Chon-Ji and the Tae Gueks you know the difference.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This would be easy for me the stances are the biggest difference and od course the swine wave. Would you like a more depth I will be gladly able to supply this to all who really like to know but if you do the Chon-Ji and the Tae Gueks you know the difference.

I would love a more in-depth analysis, yes - but as I said, I'm less interested in the physical (I can see that from videos) than I am in the philosophy underlying the patterns themselves. Here's more of what I'm interested in - maybe this will help.

In addition to containing the tool box for Ch'ang H'on TKD techniques, each Ch'ang H'on (Chon-Ji) tul has a personality, a purpose, something specific it is designed to teach students. For example, Chon-Ji teaches students how to learn patterns; it also teaches them how to move in walking stance - those 180 degree turns are pretty hard for white belts to manage, and between walking and L-stance, as well as low and middle section (low block and middle inner forearm block and punch). Dan-Gun adds a new level - all the punches in Dan-Gun are high, where all the punches in Chon-Ji are middle... and so on. The underlying purpose of the pattern is often tied to the history as well, although not always.

I am not, however, asking for a pattern-by-pattern breakdown (unless someone really wants to do one) - but I would be interested in the overall philosophy behind each pattern set.