BJJ vs. Wrestling (Stand up fighting vs. Ground fighting)

C

Cobra

I do both martial arts, the styles are the best. Both of those martial arts in my opionion are the best self-defense arts in a street fight. But who would win if a person of same experiance went against each other?

Consider both of there strenghts. Wrestlers obviosly dominate standing up, but BJJ has ground domination. If a BJJ guy gets the wrestler down, it can be all over for the wrestler despite he has wrestled on the ground, but only to turn him over. But if the wrestler can keep from being tooken to the ground, then the BJJ guy wil be in trouble. So who do you think would win?

It is a hard desicion, but I am going to go with the wrestler. All fights start standing, no one is going to start a fight on the ground. So already a wrestler has an advantage in starting standing up.

I obviously can't enforce anything, but try to not to get so passionate about whichevr style you pick. I don't want any verbal fights to break out on this thread like "My style is better than yours, so shut the hell up!" Also give a good reason why you chose whichever style you picked.

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How can these arts be best at self-defense? When WRESLTING is ground, who would be the stupid a88 to go to the ground in the street? Not Me, Would you?

You know how many ***** can happen worst being in the ground than standing up?

BJJ I understand it has some striking and standup stuff because BJJ is Sport Jiujitsu (Grappling, Submission, Locks, etc no Striking) part, ValeTudo(EVERYTHING GOES, STRIKING, kicks, etc ) part, and Self-Defense part.

But not all BJJ instructor teach these 3 things.

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I understand BJJ/Wrestling are good for Competition like UFC, Pride FC, but it doesn't work in K-1 (Standup Fighting) ? I wonder why?

K-1 would be an example of styles that would work in street fight because since they are stand up styles (striking, kicking) thats what people normally do in a street fight.

And yes BJJ use quote "95% of the fightts end up in the ground" but the person that usually ends up in the ground is the one that just lost or is getting F**KED up. I seen my friends fight people and take them down n just destroy them in the floor but they don't go down.

OP
C

Cobra

CrushingFist said:
I understand BJJ/Wrestling are good for Competition like UFC, Pride FC, but it doesn't work in K-1 (Standup Fighting) ? I wonder why?

K-1 would be an example of styles that would work in street fight because since they are stand up styles (striking, kicking) thats what people normally do in a street fight.

And yes BJJ use quote "95% of the fightts end up in the ground" but the person that usually ends up in the ground is the one that just lost or is getting F**KED up. I seen my friends fight people and take them down n just destroy them in the floor but they don't go down.
Grappling doesn't work as much because the fighters in K-1 specialize in striking attacks and don't know how to properly grapple. And by default they will punch or kick more because they specilize in strinking arts. Where as if you put a wrestler or a BJJ blue belt, the outcome would be a lot different.

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cobra said:
Grappling doesn't work as much because the fighters in K-1 specialize in striking attacks and don't know how to properly grapple. And by default they will punch or kick more because they specilize in strinking arts. Where as if you put a wrestler or a BJJ blue belt, the outcome would be a lot different.
So I will see you grappling somebody in a street fight . Hope you can live

OP
C

Cobra

CrushingFist said:
Hell no! If I'm in a back ally, I would look for a broken wine bottle or some kind of weapon. Cause you never know what they have.

If there is no weapons around and I had to use my body to fight, you bet I'll grapple. Grappling is much better for a street fight situation than striking. Grapplers always win the strikers!

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cobra said:
Hell no! If I'm in a back ally, I would look for a broken wine bottle or some kind of weapon. Cause you never know what they have.

If there is no weapons around and I had to use my body to fight, you bet I'll grapple. Grappling is much better for a street fight situation than striking. Grapplers always win the strikers!

Grapple in the street? Damn you must live in the farms then
How dangerous is to be on the ground you never know if somebody else is gonna come and kick you ... Wo0t!!!

OP
C

Cobra

CrushingFist said:
How dangerous is to be on the ground you never know if somebody else is gonna come and kick you ... Wo0t!!!
Nope, never lived on a farm, but there are a lot of people that would agree that grapplers beat striking any day of the week even if they have never been on a farm.

If the guy on the street throws a kick, I would grab the kick and do a takedown and then he is mine.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:

K1 and a MMA event are 2 separate events! I think that you're forgetting that BJJ also focuses on the clinch, which is stand up, which can be used in K1.

Your friends that you're talking about....what is their skill??? Until you've seen BJJ at its best, I wouldnt knock it.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:

Nobody wants to roll around in the street, but I can assure you that it would be wise to have the knowledge on how to get back to your feet.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
How can these arts be best at self-defense? When WRESLTING is ground, who would be the stupid a88 to go to the ground in the street? Not Me, Would you?

You know how many ***** can happen worst being in the ground than standing up?

BJJ I understand it has some striking and standup stuff because BJJ is Sport Jiujitsu (Grappling, Submission, Locks, etc no Striking) part, ValeTudo(EVERYTHING GOES, STRIKING, kicks, etc ) part, and Self-Defense part.

But not all BJJ instructor teach these 3 things.

Due to the evolution of cross training, many of the BJJ instructors out there are adding punching and kicking to their program. Ralph Gracie is a BB in BJJ, and he can punch!

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cobra said:
I do both martial arts, the styles are the best. Both of those martial arts in my opionion are the best self-defense arts in a street fight. But who would win if a person of same experiance went against each other?

The person who can out think the other will most likely win. Its all a game of chess on the mat!

Consider both of there strenghts. Wrestlers obviosly dominate standing up, but BJJ has ground domination. If a BJJ guy gets the wrestler down, it can be all over for the wrestler despite he has wrestled on the ground, but only to turn him over. But if the wrestler can keep from being tooken to the ground, then the BJJ guy wil be in trouble. So who do you think would win?

BJJ is very good in the clinch. They are going to be using strikes that the wrestler does not have. Again, as for who would win?? See my above post!

It is a hard desicion, but I am going to go with the wrestler. All fights start standing, no one is going to start a fight on the ground. So already a wrestler has an advantage in starting standing up.

See above!

I obviously can't enforce anything, but try to not to get so passionate about whichevr style you pick. I don't want any verbal fights to break out on this thread like "My style is better than yours, so shut the hell up!" Also give a good reason why you chose whichever style you picked.

Wrestling is very good on the ground. I've rolled with a few of them, and they kick a**!! However, what they lack is the submission. Look at Dan Severn in his first UFC show. Great takedowns, but had a very hard time with submission. In UFC5, he came back, and in addition to his takedown game, his striking greatly improved. He destroyed Oleg Taktarov with knee strikes.

Mike

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
K1 and a MMA event are 2 separate events! I think that you're forgetting that BJJ also focuses on the clinch, which is stand up, which can be used in K1.

Your friends that you're talking about....what is their skill??? Until you've seen BJJ at its best, I wouldnt knock it.

Mike

My old friends used no martial art experience just their average guy technique some are fast some hit hard etc. Basic boxing punching I guess

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Nobody wants to roll around in the street, but I can assure you that it would be wise to have the knowledge on how to get back to your feet.

Mike

Yes I agree, but wouldn't it be even smarter not to let the guy throw u down?
Its CONCRETE unless u wanna get hurt,

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:

You're missing the point. People hear BJJ/Grappling and right away they think just ground. Not true. It teaches the clinch and the close range strikes that you can use. Many fights end up in this situation, and IMO, it'd be good to know about it.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
My old friends used no martial art experience just their average guy technique some are fast some hit hard etc. Basic boxing punching I guess

Obviously the people that they fought had no exp. in grappling.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
Yes I agree, but wouldn't it be even smarter not to let the guy throw u down?
Its CONCRETE unless u wanna get hurt,

Very true. The ground outside is hard, but to think that you may never fall or get taken there is not wise. In the heat of the fight, anything is possible. I'd rather roll on the concrete and survive, and get taken down and pounded and not get up.

Mike

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
You're missing the point. People hear BJJ/Grappling and right away they think just ground. Not true. It teaches the clinch and the close range strikes that you can use. Many fights end up in this situation, and IMO, it'd be good to know about it.

Mike

dOeS bjj teaches you to end the fight as soon as it starts w/o going to the ground?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CrushingFist said:
dOeS bjj teaches you to end the fight as soon as it starts w/o going to the ground?

As I said in another post.....Many of the BJJ schools incorporate striking and kicking in their programs. Look at Vitor Belfort. Perfect example of crosstraining in boxing. The grappler wants to clinch, not stand there are trade blows. Many of the locks and chokes that are done on the ground, can be applied while standing.

Mike

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Very true. The ground outside is hard, but to think that you may never fall or get taken there is not wise. In the heat of the fight, anything is possible. I'd rather roll on the concrete and survive, and get taken down and pounded and not get up.

Mike

I rather strike or do a technique standing and finish it as soon as it starts rather than giving it time to get to the ground or whatever. 1 STRIKE 1 KILL I heard that quote from Goju Ryu Karate (I think) but then thats a very physical art but if the person is smaller and weaker I agree there has to be some kind of locks or vital areas to hit

Latest Discussions