BJJ school in my town

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
someone has opened a BJJ school in my tiny little bitty town. I went and watched class.

no gi's

about 8 20 year old guys

the guys teaching it are supposedly BB's under Royce somehow, even though Royce has never lived in texas and they have never lived in california....

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it'll be interesting to see if their BBs are legit. got any names?

grappling clubs, especially nogi clubs are popping up everywhere. where do they get their student base from? nearby university? or are they local?

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the teachers name is supposed to be ebarb, under Pat Hardy. All the students are college guys

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is he saying he's a black belt under Royce Gracie?

LOL! It's McBJJ!!!

I knew that when I visited BJJ dojos in Madison WI and I found several schools run by blue belts that this was where the art was going.

I rolled with these guys, they weren't the "good" blue belts of old...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL! It's McBJJ!!!

I knew that when I visited BJJ dojos in Madison WI and I found several schools run by blue belts that this was where the art was going.

I rolled with these guys, they weren't the "good" blue belts of old...

It has changed quite a bit and the level of people at certain ranks has changed a bit too.

On another note Pat Hardy has a good reputation in Texas I believe and is a black belt under Royce Gracie. He regularly has him out for seminars. So I would imagine that these guy's are legit but your verifiable source would be to call Pat Hardy!
icon14.gif

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It has changed quite a bit and the level of people at certain ranks has changed a bit too.

On another note Pat Hardy has a good reputation in Texas I believe and is a black belt under Royce Gracie. He regularly has him out for seminars. So I would imagine that these guy's are legit but your verifiable source would be to call Pat Hardy!
icon14.gif
This is what I was getting at. I was trying to get some actual information. I know several guys who train in Texas, and I could probably get a good sense of this guy's reputation if you're interested.

If, however, this is going to devolve into a "Ah, BJJ is no different from TKD" thread where we start talking about the good old days when men were so tough they ate glass and crapped out mosaic tiles, I think I'll pass. :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just based upon a quick google search, I found these pages:
http://www.tpcjiujitsu.com/hawk.html
http://www.tpcjiujitsu.com/jason.html

Jason seems legit... at least, there's nothing that seems really unrealistic. He's been training for years, had a purple belt when he graduated from high school and received his black belt several years later.

I haven't checked out his competition record, but if there's a question, that would be easy to find. It looks like he offers gi and no gi classes. Seems legit to me.

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will say, when BJJ was first becoming big . . . it was not uncommon for Blue Belts to be rolling around teaching classes. If they were a legit Blue Belt, they had more than enough to share with the newbie. I see less need for it now as BJJ has been around long enough, there are enough qualified guys running around that can teach - and a Blue Belt is still a ways away from being qualified to teach and run his own club. Purple? Maybe...

In any case, thanks to the power of the internet it is now much easier to verify some legitimacy to many people. It's also easier to learn just enough to look good and not have any clue what's really going on.

So far, I don't of any art that will survive the McDojoisms if the art becomes popular. TKD, Kenpo, Kung-Fu, Aikido, BJJ, Thai Boxing, etc. . . all has the potential of becoming a McDojo because at different times and in different areas it has become popular. Popularity in a commercial enterprise breeds easy marketing, more money and the potential for shrewd business people with less than effective martial skill trying to capitalize on it. Happens to anything, and in some ways, it's a compliment to the popularity of the art ;)

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mmmm, rolling around on the floor getting man humped.....lets see......

Plus, I am 43, so i wont be competing and i consider it of .........questionable value in SD.

cant see me joining that class.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
mmmm, rolling around on the floor getting man humped.....lets see......

Plus, I am 43, so i wont be competing and i consider it of .........questionable value in SD.

cant see me joining that class.

Get over yourself and do it.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
while i was mostly kidding, i have ZERO interest in BJJ. Thats not a slam, i have zero interest in Tai Chi too.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
while i was mostly kidding, i have ZERO interest in BJJ. Thats not a slam, i have zero interest in Tai Chi too.
That's weird. Tai Chi and TKD have so much in common. I mean, they're both good exercise but lousy in a fight. ;)

Latest Discussions