BJJ brown belt in 1 year

007tycoon

White Belt
Reaction score
Unless you have the natural ability of a BJ Penn or an Eddie Brovo, forget it. Even those two didn't go up in belts that fast.

What's the rush anyway? If you can live and train in Brazil, enjoy yourself and get as much out of it as you can.

OP
N

nas89

White Belt
Reaction score
thnx a lot guys and yea i see ur point my instructor said tht i was a quick learner and tht he hasnt seen anyone like me in his 15 years of teaching yet he said he expected me to get a black belt in no less than 8 years. m gonna be off to rio and train there just feel a bit lost on where to go and prices of bjj lesson my family are elderly there so there not into this

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
thnx a lot guys and yea i see ur point my instructor said tht i was a quick learner and tht he hasnt seen anyone like me in his 15 years of teaching yet he said he expected me to get a black belt in no less than 8 years. m gonna be off to rio and train there just feel a bit lost on where to go and prices of bjj lesson my family are elderly there so there not into this
I think there are some great schools in the states and you don't have to go to Rio to get good a good club. BJJ like most things in life should be about the trip, not the destination. So enjoy the ride and good luck!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not even going to waste my breath discussing it to be honest, but it's he's quite a controversial figure in the BJJ world.

Fair enough, I didn't know that was the case. As I said, I have no personal interest or experience with him just relaying what I had seen in print.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if it is necessary for you to go to Rio to train. There are fantastic schools in the states (lots of them run by the Gracies) where you can accomplish a lot and not have to worry about cultural or language issues.

I trained in Rio and frankly, the training I get from my coach here in Winnipeg is every bit as good as what I encountered in Brazil. The biggest benefit was the fact there were so many higher ranked belts to roll with and that gave me some new good experiences.

I'd recommend you check out some of the really top knotch American schools and see if you can find the level of training at home (assuming you are in the US) that you desire. Some of the best instructors and competitors in the world now train and teach in the USA. Of course, if you want the whole Rio, beach, surf, BJJ atmosphere you have to stick with the original! But for strictly training purposes it is not necessary to go to Brazil.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Although it's cool having a black belt to a degree its not the be all and end all of everything. You could start training now and continue for the rest of your life. Why worry whether you have a black belt or not in 3 yrs, 5 yrs, 8, whatever?

If it takes you 8 years and you train for another 40 it won't really have made any difference to you how long you had a black belt to hold your gi together rather than a blue, brown, orange, pink or whatever.

Even when you're a black belt, you still make mistakes and learn when training just the same as whatever belt you had on before!

By all means train hard, but also relax and enjoy your training would be my advice and don't worry about the grade. It'll come when it comes.

joemoplata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Although it's cool having a black belt to a degree its not the be all and end all of everything. You could start training now and continue for the rest of your life. Why worry whether you have a black belt or not in 3 yrs, 5 yrs, 8, whatever?

If it takes you 8 years and you train for another 40 it won't really have made any difference to you how long you had a black belt to hold your gi together rather than a blue, brown, orange, pink or whatever.

Even when you're a black belt, you still make mistakes and learn when training just the same as whatever belt you had on before!

By all means train hard, but also relax and enjoy your training would be my advice and don't worry about the grade. It'll come when it comes.

Unless you want to be able to sell your credentials later.

Look at what happens when someone puts it out there that they got their BB in 3.5 years, 3 years, 5 years....whatever. Here's what happens:

People start talking. When people start talking, you have opportunities you didn't have before. Ask most people, would you rather train with BJ Penn or with the guy who trained BJ Penn?

If your goal is to be a professional jiujitsu player or instructor then do it...commit to it all the way I say. It will pay off later for you if you choose to use your name as your marketing tool.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rule of thumb for me is: "I have seen too many people try and push and rush for rank."

I have been a blue belt in TKD since December of 06. However, I spent the beginning of 07 recovering from a knee rebuild. Regardless, I have also began teaching a Yudo class once a week and subsitituting once in a while when other black belts needed some help.

I tested for my hapkido blue the same time I tested for my Tae Kwon Do blue and got it before I have tested for TKD. The point is that it is not a race against anyone else. Just try and better yourself. I am a 2nd dan in Yudo and have a very decent career in competition. However, I began with one student and now I have 15 regular and 20 enrolled. I began instructing in June. I am not testing my group until April. No problems, just train hard. Feel good about your training and go with the flow.

Slow and steady wins the race. However, I have heard from some that if you go on the cruise with Royce Gracie and pay him a couple thousand he will give you a blue belt and certificate right there on the spot.

My info came from a member of Vaghi JiuJitsu club in St. L. Vaghi is a 3rd and under Rickson. So there has to be some merit to the tale.

Just remember, slow and steady wins the race......have fun and learn and embed the technique in your mind.....don't just chase a belt for chasings sake.

Good luck and have a great time. Far too many times I have seen folks chase a belt and end up quitting because they are either depressed or not as good as their peers in the same belt rank and they know it. Most of the time with these scenerios they quit.

Just my .02

joemoplata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have heard from some that if you go on the cruise with Royce Gracie and pay him a couple thousand he will give you a blue belt and certificate right there on the spot.

My info came from a member of Vaghi JiuJitsu club in St. L. Vaghi is a 3rd and under Rickson. So there has to be some merit to the tale.
While I'm not discputing this claim, you have to understand that there is no love lost between Rickson and the rest of the brothers. They're not very supportive of each other so I trust it LESS coming from a Rickson guy.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While I'm not discputing this claim, you have to understand that there is no love lost between Rickson and the rest of the brothers. They're not very supportive of each other so I trust it LESS coming from a Rickson guy.
Actually, I believe the brothers are supportive of each other. I just also believe that none of them are above promoting their own brand of jiu-jitsu over the others.

Royce has a reputation for giving out blue belts like crazy. I'm not going to argue whether he gives them out too early or not. The thing is that he gives them out at seminars. On the other hand, I rarely hear of him promoting guys to purple at seminars.

As far as brown in a year. Very, very, unlikely, even if you are a phenom.

joemoplata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I believe the brothers are supportive of each other. I just also believe that none of them are above promoting their own brand of jiu-jitsu over the others.

Royce has a reputation for giving out blue belts like crazy. I'm not going to argue whether he gives them out too early or not. The thing is that he gives them out at seminars. On the other hand, I rarely hear of him promoting guys to purple at seminars.

As far as brown in a year. Very, very, unlikely, even if you are a phenom.
I would agree with the blue. I have rolled with quite a few Royce/Torrance blues in my time and some were definitely not what our school would consider a blue. But the purples and above I have rolled with have been excellent.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No way!

A brown belt in bjj takes close to 10 years to earn. My training partner is a purple belt now and has been training 5 days a week 3 hours a day for 7 years. He can tap out just about anyone put in front of him. Hell, he rolled with Royce Gracie and lasted quite a long time.

IMO, I would rather be like him then have a particular belt around my waist.

USP45CT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm very new at BJJ and have been training Muay Thai for about a year in and a half very consistently. Well to make the story short I broke the ***** out my number 1 metatarcel and while it will heal it will never be quite what it was so I want to be highly competitive in something. I did get a few fights in during this time and loved winning and competing at a high level so BJJ was a natural choice for me. I'm not quite like a normal beginner because my cardio is really solid, but in all honesty could really care less about my belt level. As long as I am progressing and know I am progressing and gradually becoming more proficent then whatever color they want me to wear is fine by me. On a side note getting gi choked by my instructor, Justin Christopher was a nice experience.

Truthfully belts don't matter man and that was the beauty of Muay Thai I thought. The only belt I ever wanted was the one I win out of competition.

PS. I train out of Cincinnati Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy under Jim Kelly( a BB under Pedro Sauer)

slideyfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
is it possible to get a brown belt in one year

No. You have aforementioned famous examples like BJ Penn, but he had an enormous amount of talent and wealthy parents willing to get him the best instruction: still took him 3 years to get his black belt.

There's a guy at the place I attend who trains every day (the timing of his shifts at work mean he has enough time to attend plenty of classes): he's a purple belt after 2.5 years.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just remember that the belt doesn't mean anything without the knowledge that goes with it. The belt may look good, but without the aforementioned knowledge its just a belt.

You want more than a belt so train for the knowledge, have fun pushing yourself to get there, & when the time comes that you reach black belt you won't see it as the end of a journey. You'll see it as the beginning because there is always something to learn.

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is such a worthy discussion. The road of the true martial artist is not paved with submissions, and bodies and fights won and fast belt progress. I used to know a guy like this. He had gallons of natural physical talent and progressed quickly, but he was a disrespectful jerk who eventually got booted from our school. The black belt does not mean a damn thing if your mental state is that of an overzealous, insecure, meat-headed, bratty kid.

The road is paved with frustrating losses, well earned triumphs, annoying ill timed injuries, time off for injuries, time off for family priorities, class, practice, more classes, more practice, practice when you are so worn you have nothing left, FINDING more to give, and then more practice. It's supposed to take a long time. It's supposed to be difficult.

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
i would rather be a great white belt than a crappy blue belt i am no master of any art, and can barely hold my own with some of the white belts i trained with however i did go to a school where their blue belts were not so great and held my own their the key is knowledge not the belt

as a side note rio has beautiful beaches with more beautiful girls lots of guy go to rio with the intention of training and they are lured away by the babe on the beach go for the experience not the belt martial arts already has enough belt hunters just my 2 cents--tom

Latest Discussions