First Class.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I had my first BJJ class last evening and it was great! let me tell you however that I felt like a fish out of water after doing karate for the last 20 years. The instruction at this class was top notch and the group of people made me feel at home. Any training suggestions?

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Good to hear, no real suggestions other that go back and give it another try you’re a newbie there; it will get better the longer you train it

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just keep going at it and even though you will be submitted over and over just keep going and eventually that will change.
icon6.gif

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have not spent that much time on my back since my time in the Army. Must admit I was a little dizzy after doing the rolls at the beginning of class. Will this go away?

Rob

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you are having fun remember it will become easier with time.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
im glad ur first class was a success and fun! :cheers:

god knows that my first class was a disaster and thats not talking lightly. lol it wasnt anyones fault its just they were getting ready for a belt testing and were reviewing everything and i had no idea what was going on and became overwhelmed fast lol

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I had my first BJJ class last evening and it was great! let me tell you however that I felt like a fish out of water after doing karate for the last 20 years. The instruction at this class was top notch and the group of people made me feel at home. Any training suggestions?

Rob

Glad you're having a good time! :) My suggestions:

1) Go at your own pace. There is a ton of stuff to learn and it can get overwhelming at times.

2) Focus on position first and foremost, then concentrate on technique. Without good position, all the techniques in the world aren't going to matter.

Mike

joemoplata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Chinto01,

Great to hear! Couple of things to keep in mind when training BJJ:

1. Breath. Breath. Breath. Holding your breath is going to make you extremely tired.
2. If you feel yourself using enormous amounts of energy to do something (easily identified by the grunting you are doing without even knowing it) stop. It's not helping.
3. I don't know where you're training or with whom but try to spar with as many of the higher belts as you can. Pay close attention to what they are doing and when you go with other white belts try to do the same things.
4. Don't worry about the taps. It's not important who you tap or who taps you. It's about training.

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again for your encouragement and replies. The group I am training with is a great bunch of guys and not any egos. They are all there to help each other. I have purchased a notebook to jot things down after class and I also picked up Renzo Gracie's book for reference. Been a little sore especially in the upper abs but nothing uncomfortable. I look forward to class again tonight!

Rob

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tap early and tap often. "Train like you are 90, so you can train when you are 90".

I too, felt like a fish out of water. Before my first jiu jitsu class, I had never been in a ANY kind of fight, other than a mild pushing match. I was sooooo green green green. I spent my first few months getting just tossed around like a rag doll.

So, Epsom salt baths and Tiger Balm will help with muscle soreness. Lotrimin will get rid of ringworm. Be religious, obsessive even, about warming up your joints first, and then your muscles.

Work past the fact that you keep getting tapped. Welcome defeat and allow it to fuel your own victory, which WILL come.

Dagney