Big schools, small standards

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That doesn't look right...too wordy to be an "old saying".

I agreed with your whole post, and that old saying, but I think you just made that up because it sounds right.
If striking art starts sparring training on day one, there won't be any difference between striking art and grappling art.

You can google "三年拳不如当年跤" and then translate into English.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can say I've never heard that one before....and I AM old

大多数人练一年跤能轻松把人摔倒,练三年拳能打赢却很难把人迅速KO。这两种打起来,拳不能迅速KO跤,那就很容易被练跤的近身,拉入缠斗状态,拳脚难以发挥,进而摔倒,那基本上就输了;

Translate:

Most people after 1 year of grappling art training can take down their opponents. Most people after 3 years of striking art training may still have hard time to knock down their opponents. If you can't knock down your opponent, after a clinch has established, your opponent can take you down.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

大多数人练一年跤能轻松把人摔倒,练三年拳能打赢却很难把人迅速KO。这两种打起来,拳不能迅速KO跤,那就很容易被练跤的近身,拉入缠斗状态,拳脚难以发挥,进而摔倒,那基本上就输了;

Translate:

Most people after 1 year of grappling art training can take down their opponents. Most people after 3 years of striking art training may still have hard time to knock down their opponents. If you can't knock down your opponent, after a clinch has established, your opponent can take you down.
So…somebody in China wrote that on a website in Chinese, but it’s not any kind of ancient wisdom statement…

I don’t buy it as any kind of assumption. Ones mileage may vary.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose I could have a very large kids class if all the parents that have asked me about it actually brought their kids, personally that sounds like the third layer of hell. Maybe It’s because there were never children in the gym when I was training, my teachers did not teach kids either.
I was 13 when I began my training, and my teacher made an exception for me. He didn’t normally accept youth. I guess I impressed him that I called him myself to inquire about the class, instead of having my mom call for me.

So on some level I feel like I owe youth of that age a chance, if I feel they are up for it. But I would insist that a parent or other family member age 18 or older would need to attend every class, even if they don’t participate themselves. There is just way too much stuff around adults acting inappropriately around kids, I want for there to be zero chance of someone making an accusation.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was 13 when I began my training, and my teacher made an exception for me. He didn’t normally accept youth. I guess I impressed him that I called him myself to inquire about the class, instead of having my mom call for me.

So on some level I feel like I owe youth of that age a chance, if I feel they are up for it. But I would insist that a parent or other family member age 18 or older would need to attend every class, even if they don’t participate themselves. There is just way too much stuff around adults acting inappropriately around kids, I want for there to be zero chance of someone making an accusation.
Technology,
Get a camera system and broadcast your classes on your web sight for parents to view what's going on.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's not baby sitting...he's training them. Youngest looks like he is between 10 and 12
I’m not suggesting that he is babysitting. I am referring to the relatively large number of people that have approached me about training their child because they lack the ability to discipline their own progeny. I’m not interested in engaging people in this context. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with it, it just isn’t even close to my cup of tea.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

That is a very valid statement. I never even considered the possibility of an accusation. I shall add it to my list of excuses and exemptions. I don’t say that I would make exceptions in the case of youth with unusual personality or ability, but it’s possible if the stars aligned. Or if the parent trains alongside. I do not allow spectators.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually a lot of space for kids if you are teaching modern wushu. A friend of mine has a CMA school and has a group of kids that he teaches the various form, he also teaches Sanda as well. He (not Chinese) spent several years training in China and is also very good at, and loves, what he does. He is, IMO, a martial artist to the core. He has trained multiple styles, Modern Wushu, Taijiquan, Sanda, BJJ, MMA, JKD, Kyokushin, etc. However I don't believe he is doing this to make anything more effective, he has done it, and does it, because he absolutely loves martial arts. He probably has the biggest CMA school in my area, but still considerably smaller than virtual any TKD school you can find. He loves what he does and is a very positive influence to the kids that train with him. And he does had a standard that he adheres to. It is likely the difficulty of the forms and that standard that keeps his school at the size it is. Also, his school appears to be the one where the Chinese community sends their kids. But with that said he also has a JKD group there, and pre pandemic there was a Japanese group holding classes there as well. And of course, as I mentioned, Sanda, both kids and an adult class
What do you call modern wushu? Such a loaded word now. I’m going to guess my answer is not. I don’t speak Cantonese so I am way out of my depth in that regard.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Translate:

From where, and when, does that originate?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What do you call modern wushu? Such a loaded word now. I’m going to guess my answer is not. I don’t speak Cantonese so I am way out of my depth in that regard.

Wushu is the proper terminology for Traditional Chinese martial arts, Kung Fu came from a misunderstanding in translation. Modern Wushu is the stuff you see in Chinese Martial Arts forms competitions today. A lot of acrobatics, not so much practicality, athletically impressive though

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, Million dollar question: Is it possible to run a school with 300+ students at any given time without actually sacrificing high standards? Can I have a school with 300+ students and still have the same or higher standards as the small schools tend to? These big school owners keep telling me it's possible but it is clear that their idea of "high standards" are less than mediocre.

In my personal experience, most martial arts schools of any size have poor standards.

However, there is a truth to what you're saying.

Having high standards can limit the size of your school, if you don't have good lesson planning, teaching methodology, instructor training, etc. If it's hard for your students to understand what your standards are or to learn how to meet those standards, then they'll get confused or discouraged or resentful and quit.

If a school sees that this is a limiting factor on their growth, they have a few options. They can settle for being small, they can lower their standards so they're easier for students to meet, or they can do a better job teaching class. Unfortunately, a lot of commercially successful large schools do the second one.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So…somebody in China wrote that on a website in Chinese, but it’s not any kind of ancient wisdom statement…

I don’t buy it as any kind of assumption. Ones mileage may vary.
I have heard that old saying since I was a kid. I don't know where did this saying came from.

The 2nd part of old saying also said:

"一辈子跤不如十年拳"​

translate:

"If you train the grappling art all your life, you still cannot match against someone who trains striking art for 10 years."

The reason is simple. After you have developed your knock down power, wrestler will have disadvantage to match against you.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard this since I was a kid. I don't know where did this saying came from.

The 2nd part of old saying also said:

"一辈子跤不如十年拳"​

translate:

"If you train the grappling art all your life, you still cannot match against someone who trains striking art for 10 years."

The reason is simple. After you have developed your knock down power, wrestler will have disadvantage to match against you.
To me, that whole saying feels backwards.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me, that whole saying feels backwards.
Why?

When a striker has not yet developed his "knock down power", he has nothing to fight with.

You have to enter the striking range before you can enter the grappling range. If a striker can knock you down in striking range, your grappling skill will be useless.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is a very valid statement. I never even considered the possibility of an accusation. I shall add it to my list of excuses and exemptions. I don’t say that I would make exceptions in the case of youth with unusual personality or ability, but it’s possible if the stars aligned. Or if the parent trains alongside. I do not allow spectators.
I hold class outdoors In The park. I have no control over spectators. But it’s early in the morning, so the crowds are thin.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Modern Wushu was developed by the Chinese government In The 1950s based on older fighting methods. It is meant to be a performance and competition art based on forms that are more akin to a gymnastics floor routine with martial arts flavor. It is not meant to be a viable combat method, and is meant to be a Chinese cultural art form.

Latest Discussions