Collar bone strikes?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I read somewhere it only takes about 7lb of pressure to break a collar bone. Usually a hammer blow or chop.

This break will cause both sides of the arms to be useless or no strength in both arms? ... please correct me if I am wrong here?

How many of you practice this strike and is aware of this place to disable an attacker?

Salmon and butterfish collarbones make a tasty dish! Smoke or teriyaki style. This is one of my flavorites foods, beside 852 more? ....Aloha

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what the pounds of pressure is but I've seen the collarbone broke a few times. I've broke someone's one time in a wrestling match. It doesn't take much: a good hammer style strike will do it. And from what I've seen it takes the fight out of the arm on the same side as the injury. It didn't have any effect on the arm on the uninjured side.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good shuto will do the trick. One of the first areas to strike (after solar plexus) that I remember learning.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
A quick knife-hand strike will do it as easily as breaking a 1/2" thick dry twig.
It will make the arm on the side of the break useless. This is an important skill to train for. It is a disabling attack that can be done by anyone tall enough to reach the collarbone, and the defender is usually so intent on defending his head/face, he doesn't think about the collarbone.

Sidenote: because it is so easily broken, it's important to warn newer students to not strike that area on another student with any force at all while practicing.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can't add much to what has already been said, but Martial Tucker, love the name! Saw your namesake playing on the beach at Daytona in the early '80's.

barriecusvein

Green Belt
Reaction score
i broke my collar bone playing rugby a couple of years ago. definately disables the arm on that side, but it didnt have any effect on the other side. also, when i did it it didnt hurt very much, this might have just been the adrenaline of the match, but it didnt hurt much afterwards either. so while it will disable the arm, it might not stop an attacker in his tracks through pain.

[edit] corrected horrible spelling mistake!

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've broken my left clavicle twice. Motorcycle accidents both times. And neither time did it hurt very much until about an hour later. Once I rode home on the back of my buddy's bike.

But the left arm was not much use. Although it didn't hurt too badly right away, I could feel the ends scraping together. So I knew it'd be a really bad idea to wave it around much.

Gan Uesli Starling
http://wmtkd.us
Kalamazoo Chapter
Western Michigan Tae Kwon Do

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you break a bone, you are left with sharp bone shards and both ends of the broken bone. Striking repeatedly may drive these shards into the subclavian artery, causing almost certain death, unless there happens to be a surgeon on scene to cut them open and tie the artery off.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
frank raud said:
Can't add much to what has already been said, but Martial Tucker, love the name! Saw your namesake playing on the beach at Daytona in the early '80's.

Thanks......a few of my very best memories are from Daytona Beach in the late '70s, but there was no band involved....:rolleyes:

G

Gary Crawford

the collar bone is an exelent target,but not nearly as good as a whole list of targets. No matter what or how well a strike is exicuted,there's no garentee that strike will disable an attacker. You always have to factor in adrenilin. The point I'm trying to make is:continue fighting until you are safe. I broke two ribs but theydidn't know it at the time

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
We would practice this strike regularly, as the collarbone is weak, but, holds up the body. Breaking one side will immobilze that side. The other side is affected by the leaning and sagging of the body to the hurt side, lessening range and power, but not necessarily taking it out completely.

As to Mr. Crawford's advice, Yes, Don't expect anything, admiring your work. Keep fighting if it comes to it!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
easy target, easy break. hurts bad for a long time, but as was mentioned it's not necessarily a fight stopper, especially if the target is tough or hopped up.

come morning, he'll be wishing you'd never been born.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, I read somewhere it only takes about 7lb of pressure to break a collar bone. Usually a hammer blow or chop.

This break will cause both sides of the arms to be useless or no strength in both arms? ... please correct me if I am wrong here?

How many of you practice this strike and is aware of this place to disable an attacker?

Salmon and butterfish collarbones make a tasty dish! Smoke or teriyaki style. This is one of my flavorites foods, beside 852 more? ....Aloha

Yes, this is certainly a good target. Not sure I'd want to risk using a kick over a hammerfist strike, but if it was an option at the time, sure, go for it.

I also agree with Gary. We should not assume that hitting this target is going to end the fight.

Mike

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was able to play another period of hockey after bust'n mine. Hurts a few hours later, but will not take the fight out of someone.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you for sharing.....and so many of you have had a broken collar bone too. My mom said when I was a baby? I had a broken collar bone...to young to know to remember if it hurt and if the use of the other arm could be use.

Many of mention you were able to use the other arm...this is good to know....Mahalo (thank-you in Hawaiian).......

Latest Discussions