Best Scam

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best Scam?

The Ashida Kim $10,000.00 challenge.

He's the ONE AND ONLY TRUE NINJA right? BUT...

If you want to fight him, its gonna cost you $25,000.00 to get him to show up, Plus $10,000.00 to fight him.

PLUS it must be clearly labled as a SPORTING EVENT and must be controlled from local sports authorities and he gets to keep 1/2 the take from the door as well.

And Ashida Kim will be declared the winner in the event of a 5-second pinfall.

What a Joke.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's one for ya. An internatianal chain of schools that has a once a year seminar in Las Vegas that will run you about 1500.00.
You must complete at least one of these seminars before going for black belt. The only way to test for black is to go to this seminar (for 1500.00). Get ill, injured or the "board" just decides that you do not have the necessary spirit for black belt and you have to come back again the following year (for another 1500.00).
Each state has a regional chief instructor, all instructors will follow his direction, to include what theu can and cannot teach, what activities they can and cannot do with their students outside the school. Sparring and grappling tournaments are closed to only the individuals in that style and students are prohibited from competing in open tournaments. Any equipment that must be ordered must be ordered through the regional chief and he keeps the discount given for large orders.:shrug:

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My name is bob rosenbaum, i started martial arts in 1959, and recieved my blackbelt in jukado self-defense teaching in 1966. i'm sorry to be responding 14 months late, but i've just discoverd this site, and wanted to correct some misinformation about Joe Lewis. i began training with Joe in 1968, while he was working with Bruce Lee! at that time he would incorperate some of Bruces principles in with my training program. for those who are unfamilar with Joe Lewis's karate history, Joe was already a karate champion before Bruce Lee sought out Joe, Mike Stone and Chuck Norris, to train with him. Joe was a top karate fighter long before he met Bruce Lee. Joe and Bruce worked on footwork, timing, initial movement and fighting principles, Bruce used joe to test and prove his fighting theories. during this period that they were training togother, Joe totaly dominated sport karate. Joe Lewis was the best fighter that Bruce ever worked with, and to say that Joe can not teach and grade the people he trains shows a lack of knowldge of jkd history, Joe Lewis's history, and Bruce Lee's history. Bruce taught each of his students differently, and when it comes to fighting knowledge of the Bruce Lee system none were superior to Joe Lewis. thank you for your time.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by IFAJKD
He not only is certified but in all three certifications Bruce has ever given. He is the ONLY one to be able to claim that. Bruce once told him that "it didn't matter how good he was, Taky was still his seinor

I know this is way late but I have an interesting link for you.

First, the three certifications we are talking about are First Rank, Second Rank and Third Rank???

Second, Did Dan Inosanto meet Bruce Lee at the Long Beech Internationals in 1964?

Third, heres a link with a James Lees "Third Rank" certification from the Jun Fan Gung-Fu Institute dated 3/4/1964!

If Dan met Bruce 1964 and and James was already 3rd Rank in 1964 that would make James Dans senior as well. Click the link and then on the left side 0f the James Lee homepage click the link that reads "certificate".

http://oakland.jkd.com.hk/
:asian:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
I know this is way late but I have an interesting link for you.

First, the three certifications we are talking about are First Rank, Second Rank and Third Rank???

Second, Did Dan Inosanto meet Bruce Lee at the Long Beech Internationals in 1964?

Third, heres a link with a James Lees "Third Rank" certification from the Jun Fan Gung-Fu Institute dated 3/4/1964!

If Dan met Bruce 1964 and and James was already 3rd Rank in 1964 that would make James Dans senior as well. Click the link and then on the left side 0f the James Lee homepage click the link that reads "certificate".

http://oakland.jkd.com.hk/
:asian:

No. Not First, Second, and Third Ranks within JKD. This relates to Dan being the only person who was certified to teach each of the three systems that Bruce taught. These being: Tao of Chinese Gung Fu, Jun Fan Gung Fu, Jeet Kune Do

Dan is the only person to have received instructor rank in all three of these.

Mike

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pesilat
No. Not First, Second, and Third Ranks within JKD. This relates to Dan being the only person who was certified to teach each of the three systems that Bruce taught. These being: Tao of Chinese Gung Fu, Jun Fan Gung Fu, Jeet Kune Do

Dan is the only person to have received instructor rank in all three of these.

Mike

I see. I thought it was interesting that James reached 3rd rank by 1964 though. That was pretty early on.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
I see. I thought it was interesting that James reached 3rd rank by 1964 though. That was pretty early on.

Yes. But he and James had known each other and trained together since '62 and James was a highly accomplished MAist before meeting Bruce.

Mike

OP
S

SPP333

I've been a Tracy student for about six years now, and before that I've studied American Kenpo and various other arts. I've known Mark Tracy, Al's son for almost 15 years. To clear one thing up that I've read on this thread, Al Tracy's first degree black belt promotion was NOT done before any panel of blackbelts, there were only a handfull of blackbelts at the time. His 3rd degree was before a panel and signed by Ed Parker. His first promotion was listed in Ed Parkers original "Infinate insights into Kenpo." Mr. Parker had 30+ years to dispute Al Tracy's status, but never did. It's a little disturbing to hear someone dispute wether Parker and Tracy remained friends, when I doubt the disputer was there or knew both men. I've heard first hand from Ed Parker's wife that the Tracy brothers both remained in contact with Parker, and had dinner with him and attended a ball-game only a few months before his death. It's easy to claim Ed Parker's thoughts about the Tracy's now that Mr. Parker is no longer with us. It's also strange to hear someone voice doubts about the Tracy system, when it contains nearly all of the techniques of American Kenpo, plus a couple of hundred more. Mr. Parker trusted Al Tracy enough to have him teach most of his beginning students, and perform nearly all of the breaking demos for him. This "stabbing in the back," and "breaking away," from Parker came about because Al Tracy simply wished to stay true to the original kenpo system taught to him by Parker. The same system Parker learned from Prof. Chow. Although I've heard Al Tracy speak of his system as the most complete authentic "traditional" kenpo, I've never heard him contend it was better, or say anything negative about Mr. Parker. There probably was some contentions between the 2 in the past, but these things are in the past. Mr. Tracy has a way of "calling out," people who claim a lot of things about Mr. Parker, and in doing so has been involved in a lot of nonsense and controversy. It sounds like the person who posted these things has had a bad experience with the Tracy organization, and that is unfortunate. Say what you will about the Tracy family, but I don't think it's fair to lay doubt about his credentials when you weren't there and don't know all sides of the story. With his involvement in the Gathering of Eagles 1 &2 events, Mr. Tracy has done a lot in recent years to try to end the "politics" of kenpo, and has done a lot for the promotion of the art of kenpo. With that said, I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with the Tracy organization, and hope you don't have bad feelings toward all of the people involved in the organization.

Latest Discussions