Best Place to Carry

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Thank again guys. I think I would really perfer one with belt loops as well, however the majority of time I'm not wearing jean or pants with a belt (usually my black cotton kung fu pants, I'm either going or coming from the school. Or late at night...they are just so comfortable) and if I need to carry during that time I may have to look at an ankle holster or something. The pants have no belt but do have a drawstring...however I think even a clip would not hold in position well on a drawstring. I have decided to go with a Glock 26 so I want the smallest yet safest holster I can get. I've looked at several over the last few days and I actually really like the ones I saw at Milt Sparks. I'll have to test a few I guess. Anyone ever get holsters off ebay? Thought it might be a less expensive way to find one you really like.

Now, on to the question of my wife carrying. Anyone have any advice for small women concealment? I'm thinking its going to have to be a thigh rig or hangbag thing. Any ideas? We are looking at a small revolver for her carry but haven't decided on a model yet.

7sm

I am a female. I have a Glock 26. I really do not like having my gun away [off body] from me (ie. in a purse), but I do have a leather purse [with a wire inside the strap for additional strength and to make cutting difficult] that is designed with its own hidden holster for times when I must. My preferred method is a leather holster that is strong-stitched to a wide heavy-duty velcro belt at a cross-draw angle ahead of my hip, almost at the front. It is reasonably comfortable. This allows me to be more varied with the clothes I wear (since most of my clothes do not have a belt).

- Ceicei

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Remember, it need not be loaded with .357 loads. There's nothing wrong with using a good +P .38 Special load in that revolver, and today's Speer Gold Dot loads that were designed for short barrels, would be a great choice. The recoil would be quite comfortable, and the load would still pack a decent whallop.

Amazing what the ladies can do, isn't it? They tend to listen to instructions better, and have much more open minds when it comes to learning about firearms.
I hadn't really thought of that. I wasn't aware you could go down in caliber as far as ammo goes. That may be a great idea. You know, I guess there is something about guns that make men think they must allready know it. She did very very well at the range that day and there were many heavily egoed men who didn't fare so well.

Ceicei, thank you for your contribution here, I was hoping we had at least one female who carried around here. Maybe a bellystrap kind of thing is best for her too. Thanks for your help.

Kenpotex, I see what you mean about keeping it in the same general area. Thats what I'll need to do.

Ok, I know this has probably been debated to death and is heavily personal, but I'm not sure I understand the need for extra mags. I mean, if I can hold 10 or 12 rounds in the gun, do I really need more than that amount of ammo?

7sm

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I'm not sure I understand the need for extra mags. I mean, if I can hold 10 or 12 rounds in the gun, do I really need more than that amount of ammo?7sm

The need for extra mags is if you need more ammo!

I can hold 14 rounds of 9mm in my subcompact, for me, I feel that if I need more then that I'm in bigger trouble than I'd like and I doubt an extra 13 will get me out of it. If I know I'm going to be in a battle I'm not bringing my subcompact. Most confrontations happen at very close range and start and end very quickly...not your typical 30 minute movie gunfights. I'd rather take the chance of having less ammo and carry a knife instead. In the real world you need to weigh the practicallity and convenience of what you carry. Sure, it would be great to carry your sidearm, 4 extra mags, a BUG, a knife, flashlight, asp, etc. but would you really strap all that on to run down to blockbuster?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
One reason for an extra mag is so you have a reload in the event of a malfunction. I carry a Glock 19 (15+1 capacity). I highly doubt that I'd ever need that many rounds. However, If you have a bad round or a magazine malfunction, it's nice to have a spare so you can get up and running again.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, so having spoken with several people lately, I'm a little concerned with the safty of carrying a Glock. Anyone had any issues with the trigger saftey? My only concern is having a holster that completely covers the trigger in order to keep it from being depressed accidentally. I really like the benefits of the Glock, just curious as to the saftey issues one may come across with it.

7sm

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the reasons I chose the XD over the Glock (although not the primary reason)...it has a backstrap safety like a 1911. The trigger won't work unless you have a firm grip on the gun. That being said, many people carry Glocks just fine. I used to carry a G17 myself before I got my XD. Like you mentioned, get a good hoslter most if not all are designed to cover the trigger guard, and be sure your finger stays out of the trigger and nothing can get in there (like a bunched up shirt) and you'll be ok. There is also a trigger block, I think its called safe-T block which is a little piece of plastic that goes behind your trigger, you pop it out before you shoot. Other people have installed manual safetys. Probably a bigger saftey issue and probably the #1 reason for ADs with Glocks is dissasembly. Before you take a Glock down you need to pull the trigger. On the XD you have to open the slide, at which time you visually ID an empty chamber flip the take downlever, close the slide and pull the trigger. Proper training and procedure would take care of it...but there have been alot of ADs some some people either don't pay attention or get lax with procedure.

I chose the XD because the grip feels more like a 1911 and it was easier for ME to switch back and forth between the 2. I tend to heel and shoot high with the Glock after shooting the 1911, I can adjust but it takes some time. Sorry to sound like an XD salesman but I'm completely satsified with mine. Either gun is a good pistol and its really personal preference what feels better for you.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Ok, so having spoken with several people lately, I'm a little concerned with the safty of carrying a Glock. Anyone had any issues with the trigger saftey? My only concern is having a holster that completely covers the trigger in order to keep it from being depressed accidentally. I really like the benefits of the Glock, just curious as to the saftey issues one may come across with it.

7sm

Shouldn't be a concern as long as your using a decent holster.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A good holster is a must with the glocks. However, the best advice I can give is to never ever put your finger on the trigger when drawing or re-holstering the glock. The only time your finger can be on the trigger is after you've lined up and aimed your gun ready to fire. It takes training to have your trigger finger along the frame (by the slide) and then on the trigger when ready to shoot. Muscle memory from constant practice will help make this natural.

- Ceicei

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't really see the lack of external safeties as an issue (DA revolvers don't have them and nobody complains about them). With proper gunhandling skills (keeping the finger off the trigger 'till it's on target) you'll be fine. Stated another way, manual safeties don't replace sound gunhandling procedures.
As far as holsters go, you'll be hard-pressed to find a holster that doesn't cover the trigger-guard. I don't recommend the Safe-T-Block trigger-safety thing at all. To me, something like this has absolutely no place on a carry gun.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, thats basically what I was thinking, I just wanted to hear from others, I really appreciate it guys.

7sm

Latest Discussions