Best Place to Carry

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have my concealed handgun permit, but I really haven't carried more than once or twice. Partly because my job had me in places I couldn't carry. I really want to start carrying a bit more now. I searched this forum but didn't find anything like this. My question is where do you feel is the best place to carry your concealed handgun and why? Consider comfort, concealment, easy access, etc.

7sm

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of potential answers.

First of all, which brand and model of handgun is it? Something like a Kel-Tec P3AT or P32 can be easily carried in the pocket, using a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster (15 dollars), if you're wearing something like a pair of dress pants or dress shorts.

A S&W J-frame revolver can also be carried in a decent pocket holster, although you may want to try the leather ones instead.

Something like a Glock 26 (subcompact) or Glock 19 (compact) can be very comfortably carried on a good quality outside the waist, leather holster in combination with a strong, thick belt that matches the holster's loop sizes. I use a Desantis Minislide for my Glocks, and they simply disappear underneath an untucked shirt. I can draw and fire in a very short time, and I don't consider myself an "expert" on the quick draw by any means.

You can even do this with a full sized pistol, such as a 1911 or a Glock 17.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
My friend who has a conceal carry, has diabetes, so he has to carry around insulin and stuff, he carries it in a fanny pack (not masculine I know) but that is also where he carries his gun I think.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The best place to carry (or rather, the place I prefer to carry, as this does differ from person to person), generalizing over multiple body types and concealment factors, is behind either hip in the "sweet spot" that doesn't quite rest against the back of a seat when you are sitting down. Inside-the-Waistband carry in this position works for handguns, knives, and a variety of other implements.

hp2201-web.jpg

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Lots of potential answers.

First of all, which brand and model of handgun is it? Something like a Kel-Tec P3AT or P32 can be easily carried in the pocket, using a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster (15 dollars), if you're wearing something like a pair of dress pants or dress shorts.

A S&W J-frame revolver can also be carried in a decent pocket holster, although you may want to try the leather ones instead.

Something like a Glock 26 (subcompact) or Glock 19 (compact) can be very comfortably carried on a good quality outside the waist, leather holster in combination with a strong, thick belt that matches the holster's loop sizes. I use a Desantis Minislide for my Glocks, and they simply disappear underneath an untucked shirt. I can draw and fire in a very short time, and I don't consider myself an "expert" on the quick draw by any means.

You can even do this with a full sized pistol, such as a 1911 or a Glock 17.

Thanks for the help, I have a generic (Ultrastar) 9mm that I took the course with, but I dont think I can really carry it with the clothes I wear and all its a little cumbersome for my taste. I would really like to get a small J-frame .357 like the S&W 340PD or something. I really want one like that for my wife as well, she is under 100lbs. I dont wear jeans all that much and really when I do they aren't loose enough or big enough to hold it in the pocket. I normally wear t-shirts and such untucked, is it really concealed that well on the belt with a regular t-shirt untucked?

7sm

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Thanks for the help, I have a generic (Ultrastar) 9mm that I took the course with, but I dont think I can really carry it with the clothes I wear and all its a little cumbersome for my taste. I would really like to get a small J-frame .357 like the S&W 340PD or something. I really want one like that for my wife as well, she is under 100lbs. I dont wear jeans all that much and really when I do they aren't loose enough or big enough to hold it in the pocket. I normally wear t-shirts and such untucked, is it really concealed that well on the belt with a regular t-shirt untucked?

7sm
That's where the IWB holsters come in handy. I normally carry a Glock 19 in a Summer Special II holster made by Milt Sparks. I have no problem carrying the pistol, a spare magazine, a flashlight, and a fixed-blade knife under an untucked t-shirt. However, if possible, I prefer to wear a cover garment of some sort (vest, untucked button-up shirt over a tucked-in t-shirt, etc.) just for extra insurance. One of the most important factors for effective concealment is a good belt. You want a high quality gunbelt that exactly fits the loops/clip/whatever on the holster so the holster doesn't move around (this also means avoiding the "one size fits all" holsters). The gunbelts are also more stiff/rigid than your $10 :wal-mart special." This keeps the holster tight to the body and prevents it from sagging.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hadn't put much effort into looking for the right holster yet. I looked up the IWB and really like the ones they carry. I am looking at one such as the Pro Stealth. What advise do you have on a belt loop vs a clip type holster?

7sm

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally prefer a holster equipped with belt loops. I just don't feel that most clip-on holsters "stay put" as well. For example, the one you linked to has a 1 3/4" clip, unless you buy a belt that's 1 3/4" wide (most common belts are either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2), it's going to be shifting all over the place.
If you want good stability combined with easy "on and off" a couple of options are either a paddle holster, or one where the belt loops are secured via snaps like this one (this is the one I use). .
SS-2_small_C.jpg

I really like this holster, it's good quality, and if you wear belts of different widths (i.e. dress belt, work belt, etc.) you can order extra sets of loopsThis model is called the Summer Special II and is available from Milt Sparks. They have other models that are also excellent choices. As has been stated, your hoster and belt are very important. Buy quality gear and it will last a long time and make it easier to effectively conceal your weapon.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are many methods of carry, and some research can get you all that. I just wanted to make the point that the most important thing is that however you choose to carry, it is in a place that is easily and quickly acccessable yet concealed. This means that you want as few steps as possible to access your weapon, draw, and fire. So, a behind the hip, side hip, or front hip holstered where you can access it without having to fiddle around with clothing, zippers, etc., would be better then, say, an ankle holster, a zipper pocket or hipsack. Not saying that ankle holsters or hipsacks are bad, because they have their place. I am just using these examples to illustrate a point. Also, keep in mind that a lot of carry methods are very specific to certian situations or attire, or better for carrying a secondary firearm.

Also, you might want to think about how you will carry your extra magazine. God forbit you'll ever need one, but if you do that won't be the time to find out that you chose a poor place for access and an efficient mag change.

I wish you well on your research...

Paul

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
+1 on a good belt. Wilderness makes a good one.

I like to carry strong side behind the hip, similar to Phil's picture but more forward with the grip pointing back/in toward your body. For me, it conceals a bit better, the holster actually pulls the grip in tight to the body, which also feels more secure to me. I have both IWB and OWB and although a bit slower, I prefer Leather over Kydex for the comfort factor. I can pretty much carry all of my handguns in this position from my subcompact to my 5" 1911, under a loose T-shirt. If you go IWB get 1 or 2 sizes larger waist. I stay with my carry postion EVERY time I carry. I dont carry on the hip on day, cross draw the next, on the ankle the next, in a fanny pack etc. cuz then you have to think were your sidearm is that day. KISS and train with whatever position you choose so its second nature to go there under stress. I like to suppliment my strong side firearm carry with weak side knife carry, so either can back each other up. If they are both on the same side of your body and that side is trapped it will be difficult to get to either weapon.

Get ready for the preverbial "drawer full of holsters" until you find a carry system you like and holster that works for you. Good concealment holsters I have tried are Milt Sparks leather and the Answer by Tucker which is a combo kydex/leather. On the more affordable side Don Hume makes some nice holsters at great prices.

Whatever you choose get some good training and you may want to try IDPA. If you have a good group in your area it will help you get used to drawing from concealment among other defensive skills.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank again guys. I think I would really perfer one with belt loops as well, however the majority of time I'm not wearing jean or pants with a belt (usually my black cotton kung fu pants, I'm either going or coming from the school. Or late at night...they are just so comfortable) and if I need to carry during that time I may have to look at an ankle holster or something. The pants have no belt but do have a drawstring...however I think even a clip would not hold in position well on a drawstring. I have decided to go with a Glock 26 so I want the smallest yet safest holster I can get. I've looked at several over the last few days and I actually really like the ones I saw at Milt Sparks. I'll have to test a few I guess. Anyone ever get holsters off ebay? Thought it might be a less expensive way to find one you really like.

Now, on to the question of my wife carrying. Anyone have any advice for small women concealment? I'm thinking its going to have to be a thigh rig or hangbag thing. Any ideas? We are looking at a small revolver for her carry but haven't decided on a model yet.

7sm

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tend to lean toward the belt loop models myself. I used to like the clip type, but had the opportunity to see my brother jump across a small stream in Maine and his brand-spanking new stainless Ruger go skipping over the rocks and into the drink because his clip on let loose (He went for a swim and recovered it, but in mid-April that is too cold for me!!) I went to beltloop type that same afternoon!

For a wheelgun for the wife, mine loves the Ruger SP101. Small enough she can handle it well, but with enough pop to be a good deterent.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Now, on to the question of my wife carrying. Anyone have any advice for small women concealment? I'm thinking its going to have to be a thigh rig or hangbag thing. Any ideas? We are looking at a small revolver for her carry but haven't decided on a model yet.

7sm

ALthough the thigh thing on a woman is pretty sexy, if you wife can sacrifice some style points, I would go for a concealed carry purse for her. if shes walking from the store to the car at night, she could slip her hand on the grip while its concealed. Also, since your carrying a 9mm you might want to consider a Taurus 9mm revolver. Light shooting and you can share ammo.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
the Glock 26 is a good choice. I prefer the 19 because, to me, the 26 isn't smaller to the extent that it's really any different. Of course, I carry on the hip, if I used a belly-band or an ankle rig the 26 might make more sense. Speaking of the belly-band, that might be something to consider if you don't frequently wear a belt.

For your wife, again, I'd recommend strong-side hip carry. A small revolver can be concealed very well. I don't personally like the idea of purse, briefcase, or day-planner holsters simply because the gun is not on your person (in your control) at all times. However, if it's that or nothing, do what you gotta do.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
There are many methods of carry, and some research can get you all that. I just wanted to make the point that the most important thing is that however you choose to carry, it is in a place that is easily and quickly acccessable yet concealed. This means that you want as few steps as possible to access your weapon, draw, and fire. So, a behind the hip, side hip, or front hip holstered where you can access it without having to fiddle around with clothing, zippers, etc., would be better then, say, an ankle holster, a zipper pocket or hipsack. Not saying that ankle holsters or hipsacks are bad, because they have their place. I am just using these examples to illustrate a point. Also, keep in mind that a lot of carry methods are very specific to certian situations or attire, or better for carrying a secondary firearm.

Also, you might want to think about how you will carry your extra magazine. God forbit you'll ever need one, but if you do that won't be the time to find out that you chose a poor place for access and an efficient mag change.

I wish you well on your research...

Paul

I have to agree with Paul above that what is really important is that it is quickly accesible with no zippers, etc to fumble with. Simple, quick, effective that is what should be important in choosing where you carry your handgun.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bydand said:
For a wheelgun for the wife, mine loves the Ruger SP101. Small enough she can handle it well, but with enough pop to be a good deterent.
I'm a little concerned that a .357 will be too much for her. It was pretty funny watching her bounce around shooting my 9mm last time. Of course she outshot many of the guys there that day (almost outshot me!). I do think it has to be a revolver as she has a hard time even chambering my 9mm (especially when she has fingernails, or so I'm told).

arnisandyz said:
ALthough the thigh thing on a woman is pretty sexy, if you wife can sacrifice some style points, I would go for a concealed carry purse for her. if shes walking from the store to the car at night, she could slip her hand on the grip while its concealed. Also, since your carrying a 9mm you might want to consider a Taurus 9mm revolver. Light shooting and you can share ammo.
Yeah, the thigh thing may be kinda hard to get to as well. My only issue with a purse or bag is that it could be seperated from her when she needs the gun. I really want it on her person. I do like the idea of a 9mm revolver (didn't even really know there was that option). I also really think a concealed hammer would be nice for her, although I haven't really researched the safety issues of a concealed hammer yet.

kenpotex said:
the Glock 26 is a good choice. I prefer the 19 because, to me, the 26 isn't smaller to the extent that it's really any different. Of course, I carry on the hip, if I used a belly-band or an ankle rig the 26 might make more sense. Speaking of the belly-band, that might be something to consider if you don't frequently wear a belt.

For your wife, again, I'd recommend strong-side hip carry. A small revolver can be concealed very well. I don't personally like the idea of purse, briefcase, or day-planner holsters simply because the gun is not on your person (in your control) at all times. However, if it's that or nothing, do what you gotta do.
Hmm, I think the bellyband may be just exactly what I'm looking for to carry in those types of clothes. Thanks alot, that really helped. Of course I'm probably going to have like three different types of holsters now depending on what I'm wearing. Anyone like that or is it better to get one that can fit any type of clothes?

I'm only concerend with how my wife will carry on the hip without a belt. If she is wearing pants with a belt is cool, but in a dress or skirt I dont know that a clip would really hold in place well. Thats why I was thinking of the thigh thing.

Alot to think about, I'm trying to find someone with a small lightweight revolver we can go shoot to see how she does with it.

Thanks alot, everyone has been extremely helpful so far!
7sm

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Hmm, I think the bellyband may be just exactly what I'm looking for to carry in those types of clothes. Thanks alot, that really helped. Of course I'm probably going to have like three different types of holsters now depending on what I'm wearing. Anyone like that or is it better to get one that can fit any type of clothes?
I use two different holsters. One is a Kydex OWB rig that I use when I'm working and have to have the gun "concealed" (under a loose cover garment) but not necessarily "covert." The other is the IWB rig (in the pictures I linked to above) that I use when I'm off duty and actually have to keep it hidden. Either way, I carry in the same place, strong side. I don't see a problem with using different holsters as long as the weapon is carried in only one, or at most, two places. The problem with carrying in different locations is that you will have to practice a lot from both of them (and spend equal time) so that you are able to access it quickly and efficiently. It is much better to stick with one location if possible.
One option might be to use a belly-for the times when you're not wearing a belt and then to use an IWB crossdraw holster carried near the centerline when you are using a belt. This will put the weapon in the same general location regardless of carry methods.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I'm a little concerned that a .357 will be too much for her.

Remember, it need not be loaded with .357 loads. There's nothing wrong with using a good +P .38 Special load in that revolver, and today's Speer Gold Dot loads that were designed for short barrels, would be a great choice. The recoil would be quite comfortable, and the load would still pack a decent whallop.

It was pretty funny watching her bounce around shooting my 9mm last time. Of course she outshot many of the guys there that day

Amazing what the ladies can do, isn't it? They tend to listen to instructions better, and have much more open minds when it comes to learning about firearms.

Latest Discussions