CC holster/light/laser for Glock 30SF

Shin71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After many years of gun dormancy on the civilian side, I splurged and got myself a new Glock 30SF today. I've decided to get back on the range and quiet the "puppy brain" that Grossman talks about that hounds me (no pun intended) in my sleep now that I'm not working actively for Uncle Sam.

While waiting for California to consult the Oracle vis a vis my suitability for gun ownership, I have some other decisions to make.

I'd like a good concealable holster. I carried a paddle holster for my M9 while inside-the-wire during my last deployment and got very used to it. I'm not sure that a paddle would lend itself very well to day-to-day concealability for my Glock. Any good recommendations on a paddle or an IWB holster?

I'm also a 4x a week motorcycle commuter. Since I'm on a sportbike, and in zip-together leathers, waistband carry won't work. I also want to be able to take my jacket off at interim stops or my destination, so a shoulder rig is out, too. Has anyone heard of a rider modifying their armored jacket (moto armor, not ballistic) to carry a handgun in/on the jacket itself?

Finally, any recommendations for night sights or laser that won't add too much further bulk? Worst case scenario is firing from the bed, at night, in a dark house. I'm thinking a light is good for positive target ID, blinding the target, and visual intimidation/shock. I don't want to have to fumble with my Surefire at a time like that.

Thanks to all for the help. I haven't been in the "Armory" yet so I don't know all the ins and outs, but I did try the search function with little luck.

I use a Serpa for my G23 for CCW carry (you can get it in paddle or beltslide) but if you want to alter a riding jacket just get some soft sided velcro and find the seamstress working outside your closest military base. Most of these gals can alter whatever you want any way you want; have them sew in the soft sided velcro after opening up the seam on your jacket then just buy a 5.11 univeral velcro holster and you should be set (check out how 5.11 has theirs set up first though so you can explain it to them).

If you dont have one of these available take it to shoe repair place since most of these guys can work it the way you want as well (I have had rucks and uniforms altered in the past for hunting and for a BOB).
Is a G30 too big for ankle carry?

Try a TLR 1 for a light, lasers are for pansys.... IMO

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't feel that there was anything inappropriate in your private-message, nor was there anything that couldn't have been posted in this thread...since that's where the original difference of opinion took place.
Therefore, I'm posting my reply to your PM here...if you choose to post your PM here, so much the better.

I don't take personal offense to your statement...I just feel that's a very short-sighted viewpoint.

While you are correct in that the laser can slow you down if you wasted time "chasing the dot," if it's used properly, this will not happen. It should be used as an adjunct to your iron-sights and your body index, in other words, I would be looking for my sights but if the lighting conditions were such that I could not see them, the laser would provide final confirmation that I was on target.

It is also useful when shooting from weird positions (e.g. weak-hand only from the ground or whatever). In fact, it will allow accurate hits that might not be possible otherwise.

If you don't like them, fine. I can see valid arguments against the use of the laser. However, to say that "lasers are for pansies" is dumb. Is it your intention to call guys like Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, Ernest Langdon, and Massad Ayoob (just to name a few), pansies? (I mention them only because all of them are legends in the shooting community and all of them endorse weapon-mounted lasers)

Shin71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't feel that there was anything inappropriate in your private-message, nor was there anything that couldn't have been posted in this thread...since that's where the original difference of opinion took place.
Therefore, I'm posting my reply to your PM here...if you choose to post your PM here, so much the better.

I don't take personal offense to your statement...I just feel that's a very short-sighted viewpoint.

While you are correct in that the laser can slow you down if you wasted time "chasing the dot," if it's used properly, this will not happen. It should be used as an adjunct to your iron-sights and your body index, in other words, I would be looking for my sights but if the lighting conditions were such that I could not see them, the laser would provide final confirmation that I was on target.

It is also useful when shooting from weird positions (e.g. weak-hand only from the ground or whatever). In fact, it will allow accurate hits that might not be possible otherwise.

If you don't like them, fine. I can see valid arguments against the use of the laser. However, to say that "lasers are for pansies" is dumb. Is it your intention to call guys like Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, Ernest Langdon, and Massad Ayoob (just to name a few), pansies? (I mention them only because all of them are legends in the shooting community and all of them endorse weapon-mounted lasers)

I never said I was smart and it was meant jokingly, didn't mean for it to set off anyone, I don't need to defend myself on the issue (and I dont think you are saying it that way either); Ayoob is a name I recognize but not the others, maybe Langdon.

But to summarize my message to you for this thread it is my opinion that by training with a laser it can breed the habit of not shooting until the dot is visible unless you train really, really a lot with and without one. Most people do not have that luxury and I still think, in my opinion only, that it will slow you down in a moving gun battle when you have a moving target and you are used to dropping the hammper when the dot is on. Your target is moving and you will most likely be late.

As far as off hand or unusual position shooting I still feel it can be addressed with training to shoot instinctively for near target shooting (within 15 yard normally) or simply using the sights at longer ranges. I think the only practical weapons for lasers are sub guns with high rates of fire or tasers since pulling it and painting on someone isn't a felony offense unto itself, at least in Colorado.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi,

I saw that you know a lot of safes. I am planning to buy a gun safe.
Can you please give me some advice?
I was looking around to find the best one, I read informational articles and I found a website which has a list of great gun safes but I think it's better to hear an opinion from you.

Thank you

What is your budget? What size safe? What is the purpose of safe?