Best, modern martial-art for children-

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend taekwondo OR Judo. They will learn focus, discipline, exercise, and will also enjoy being with other kids their age, plus, the classes are very structured. That is good!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Capoeira. Because it would teach a wider range of skills and you have more opportunity to use acrobatics as a child than you do breaking skulls.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ameri-Do-Te. Or Sinanju. Whichever is easiest to find in your area.

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Classes being structured has nothing to dp with the style and everything to do with the quality and preparation of the instructors. Quality instructors and class atmosphere and far more important for kids than style.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, in my opinion.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, in my opinion.
Okay. Shamed into a real answer, my opinion is wrestling... At least in the USA. It's a common sport in schools, which means it's affordable. While it's a contact sport, it minimizes blows to the head, which I think is important for kids. lots of great life lessons are taught, and it's a fantastic foundation for self defense. And it's an Olympic sport, along with a viable scholarship vehicle for kids who excel.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay. Shamed into a real answer, my opinion is wrestling... At least in the USA. It's a common sport in schools, which means it's affordable. While it's a contact sport, it minimizes blows to the head, which I think is important for kids. lots of great life lessons are taught, and it's a fantastic foundation for self defense. And it's an Olympic sport, along with a viable scholarship vehicle for kids who excel.

Wrestling is fairly new to my area. At least what I consider new. When I was growing up you couldn't find wrestling if you hired a detective agency. Decades later you could even find schools of professional wrestling earlier than you could find real wrestling. But wrestling is growing now, especially in private schools.

The "affordable" part is big, I hadn't considered that. And I hate wrestlers because they never seem to get tired. But, still, given the choice to influence a kid if all things were equal, I'm pushing him to BJJ over wrestling.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A
Okay. Shamed into a real answer, my opinion is wrestling... At least in the USA. It's a common sport in schools, which means it's affordable. While it's a contact sport, it minimizes blows to the head, which I think is important for kids. lots of great life lessons are taught, and it's a fantastic foundation for self defense. And it's an Olympic sport, along with a viable scholarship vehicle for kids who excel.[/QUO
Totally agree Steve :)
upload_2016-5-22_19-57-29.png

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrestling is fairly new to my area. At least what I consider new. When I was growing up you couldn't find wrestling if you hired a detective agency. Decades later you could even find schools of professional wrestling earlier than you could find real wrestling. But wrestling is growing now, especially in private schools.

The "affordable" part is big, I hadn't considered that. And I hate wrestlers because they never seem to get tired. But, still, given the choice to influence a kid if all things were equal, I'm pushing him to BJJ over wrestling.

Have you seen the average wrestlers training mentality though?

It is pretty impressive.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, it is, without a doubt.
But I'm thinking of kids. Most don't have that mentality. At least, not yet. Especially if they're average, shy or slightly withdrawn.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say it's complicated. The first question you should ask is "why do I want my child to learn martial arts?" I am sure we all want children to have discipline, become healthy, learn flexibility etc. BUT there are other things. Example, my best friend is a Lady born in Hong Kong. When she found out I started learning Wing Chun she said "my Grand Father would be so proud" as he studied Wing Chun and Yang Style Kung Fu. So if her children were interested in Martial Arts she would be looking at Chinese Arts because she does want them to be in touch with their heritage (their father is Caucasian).

If that isn't an issue I would say go to different places and sit in on classes after figuring out your priorities because the art doesn't really matter imo. I know parents who don't want their kids learning an Art as bonafide self defense, so a teacher who focuses on the bonafide combative "hurt the other guy to end the fight" might not be what you want. After teacher "attitude" then look at your child. Some arts favor different body types. Arts with LONG low stances don't, imo, lead themselves to shorter people relative to their age based partners. Same thing goes for strength, some arts favor building muscular strength others over all structure and physics.

In the end it's not the art in and of itself because for kids to enjoy something it needs to fit. I wasn't good at baseball as a kid, my catching sucked so not happy BUT I LOVED to run and was damn good at it, fast at 1/4 mile and out. That "fit" turned running into a passion. So you need to say, physically, what "fits" my kid. Not what you want them to fit, be honest and see what fits them. Then from that list, go based on the teacher, which one is teaching what and how you want your child to learn. It could be TKD, my niece LOVES it. It could be Wing Chun, their is a Junior at my school that has the biggest smile on his face I have ever seen regardless of the effort he is exerting. That is what makes for a good martial arts experience. A combination of passion + teacher.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many martial arts can potentially be suitable for children - if the instructor knows how to teach children and has developed a curriculum that's appropriate for them. Taekwondo can be good, judo can be good, wrestling can be good, Wing Chun can be good. I've seen videos of kids that are maybe 5 or 6 doing kendo, and saw a bit of a kids' capoeria class one time. There's not a single "best" choice.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes, it is, without a doubt.
But I'm thinking of kids. Most don't have that mentality. At least, not yet. Especially if they're average, shy or slightly withdrawn.
Like every youth activity, some kids just won't enjoy wrestling. Some kids don't enjoy chess. That's absolutely true.

But I don't think kids need to START any activity with a well developed work ethic. The quality of the coaching and the organization of the activity will instill that over time, regardless of the activity. So, IMO, shy kids are just as apt to excel in wrestling as outgoing kids. In fact, because wrestling is an individual sport, kids who are shy or introverted may prefer the solitude of the activity. They go out and it's up to them to perform.

What wrestling gives kids in addition to work ethic is to push them past their breaking point, which is liberating. People in general are self limiting. Being pushed physically or mentally past where you think you can succeed is a huge benefit to kids. The physically grueling nature of wrestling is one path to this.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kids need more one on one work. That's what matters so whichever sifu/sensei or coach is willing to put in said time then they should do that art.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Many martial arts can potentially be suitable for children - if the instructor knows how to teach children and has developed a curriculum that's appropriate for them. Taekwondo can be good, judo can be good, wrestling can be good, Wing Chun can be good. I've seen videos of kids that are maybe 5 or 6 doing kendo, and saw a bit of a kids' capoeria class one time. There's not a single "best" choice.
Agree. And just to add, Judo is a sport available in our high schools here, just like wrestling, and has many of the same benefits. Not sure how many judo scholarships are available, but that would be the one advantage wrestling would have.

I will say that I am admittedly biased toward sports, particularly for kids. I think TKD, Judo, wrestling and other MAs are better for kids than, say, WC. Not because the arts are deficient in any way. Rather, it's because I see a lot of value in application. Teach a kid how to execute a double leg take down and then provide a venue for them to succeed. They are encouraged to execute their skills in context and they get immediate, objective feedback on their progress. TKD and Judo have similar benefits.

In WC or other styles without competitive elements, the kids are actually discouraged from applying their technique in context, and as a result never really get any objective feedback on their development.

FWIW, this also applies to adults, but developmentally, I think it's crucial for kids.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree. And just to add, Judo is a sport available in our high schools here, just like wrestling, and has many of the same benefits. Not sure how many judo scholarships are available, but that would be the one advantage wrestling would have.

I will say that I am admittedly biased toward sports, particularly for kids. I think TKD, Judo, wrestling and other MAs are better for kids than, say, WC. Not because the arts are deficient in any way. Rather, it's because I see a lot of value in application. Teach a kid how to execute a double leg take down and then provide a venue for them to succeed. They are encouraged to execute their skills in context and they get immediate, objective feedback on their progress. TKD and Judo have similar benefits.

In WC or other styles without competitive elements, the kids are actually discouraged from applying their technique in context, and as a result never really get any objective feedback on their development.

FWIW, this also applies to adults, but developmentally, I think it's crucial for kids.

Many forms of karate and even tae kwon do have "open" tournaments one can enter.

Latest Discussions