BEST MMA fighter of all time?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Carano is an appalling fighter, she never makes weight and if you don't accept that she will fight overweight her promotion won't pay you your purse and expenses.

It's Shaka Zulu.

I won't make a thread on favourite fighters, it's been done to death. Most lists just have UFC fighters on, no internationals other than those than fight in UFC and none from other promotions.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gina Carano is an appalling fighter, she never makes weight and if you don't accept that she will fight overweight her promotion won't pay you your purse and expenses.

It's Shaka Zulu.

I won't make a thread on favourite fighters, it's been done to death. Most lists just have UFC fighters on, no internationals other than those than fight in UFC and none from other promotions.

I get that you are anti UFC, but there is no equal when it comes to accumulated talent.
there are good and great fighters elsewhere, and while any well trained and well prepared athlete has a chance in his prospective weight classes the fact of the matter is the talent is the best in the ufc, its been proven time and time again.
there is not a fighter on the planet who will honestly say I do not want to be a part of the UFC... they might not like the contracts, and other things, but the UFC is where its at in regards to top fighters.

i kind of agree on Gina now... she still loves fighting, but I do not think it is her passion any longer, I do not think she has the hunger anymore.. being a movie star, sex symbol, sought after personality, etc has become her new passion... and good for her. but I would not put her in my top list anymore... she can still hang in there with anyone I think, but her heart is what i question atm.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that you are anti UFC, but there is no equal when it comes to accumulated talent.
there are good and great fighters elsewhere, and while any well trained and well prepared athlete has a chance in his prospective weight classes the fact of the matter is the talent is the best in the ufc, its been proven time and time again.
there is not a fighter on the planet who will honestly say I do not want to be a part of the UFC... they might not like the contracts, and other things, but the UFC is where its at in regards to top fighters.

i kind of agree on Gina now... she still loves fighting, but I do not think it is her passion any longer, I do not think she has the hunger anymore.. being a movie star, sex symbol, sought after personality, etc has become her new passion... and good for her. but I would not put her in my top list anymore... she can still hang in there with anyone I think, but her heart is what i question atm.

No I'm not anti UFC, I'd just like people to see more than the UFC. There's good fighters in many countries where theres no UFC. I'm not sure about every fighter wanting to be in the UFC, I know a couple who have said no, one of who did fight on it once and said never again. I want people to see beyond just the UFC, there's other promotions in the States and there's promotions who are bigger than the UFC in their own countries. I worry that the UFC is going to turn our sport into another version of pro wrestling, making more and more rules to stifle fighters as well as having more and more fake characterisations and smack talk. It's encouraging a fan base of yobs who know little about martial arts but all want to be ''cage fighters cos they're 'ard'.' I don't believe that the UFC has the integrity and honesty in martial arts that many of us would like to see. Idealistic, maybe, but we have to try to raise the game if we want to get MMA to a place where we can be proud of saying we do MMA.

Gina may have good skills but is so unprofessional it hurts! We are trying to build women's MMA up, to encourage women martial artists in to fight and she refuses to make weight making excuses instead. it just makes it harder for other female fighters, try persuading promoters to take womens fights when some one so high profile can't be professional.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gina may have good skills but is so unprofessional it hurts! We are trying to build women's MMA up, to encourage women martial artists in to fight and she refuses to make weight making excuses instead. it just makes it harder for other female fighters, try persuading promoters to take womens fights when some one so high profile can't be professional.

I can't argue with any of that, the key is focusing on the other women. I posted 5 who are professional, and who seem to tkae it serious. Just have to find a way to have the focus shifted from Gina(arguably the posterchild for womens MMA in the states)
unfortunately although Cris Cyborg is taking it seriously her looks and physique make her an unfortunate posterchild for many. Too many people who pay the money still want to see their women in bikinis and ring cards.. I am not so sure that problem will ever have a solution either unfortunately.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the moment there's too many people want to see two heavyweight men standing toe to toe punching each other, boxing really. and yes the girls will be there in bikinis and ring cards, quite neanderthal really.
The UFC won't accept womens fights, another bone of contention for me I'm afraid. Two of my friends have fought in America, Lisa Higo who had three fights in one night to win the belt and Rosi Sexton. Rosi has also fought in Japan where women's MMA is more advanced.

While it may be the richest promotion around UFC is not the bench mark for everyone, when it's here we still don't have full houses, Cage Rage and now Bamma have bigger crowds here. One reason is that the UFC charges a fortune for tickets. The rules are different between promotions as was mentioned before so to say fighter X is the best fighter is pointless, can he/she fight under all rules? Can they cope with the Pride stomps or the soccer kicks? spinning elbows etc. etc. While most of us definitely do not want MMA in the Olympics that sort of competition would, however, give us more of an idea of a 'best fighter'.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tez, don't be a hater. Two of the five fighters I listed never fought in the UFC.

But there is something to be said for relative impact on the sport and level of competition. To be the best, you have to fight the best. If I knew anything at all about soccer, I'm positive I could come up with a suitable analogy. :)

Personally, I think you're just being stubborn. :D

Lee Mainprize

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My favourite mma fighters.

Chuck - the Ice man - left out all out on the mats every time.
GSP - tactics and training to win on a whole another level.
John Jones - looks like a legend in the making freakish athlete.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lists are a lot of fun, they're just sometimes really difficult to put together. I think anyone who fights is great in their own way, it's such a difficult undertaking, especially MMA.

I think of the men who fought in UFC 1, no time limit, very few rules, no judges. And on a big stage to boot. Have to tip my cap to all of them, that must have been a very nervous night for all concerned.

Here's my list. It's no better than anyone else, just my choice of the best in MMA. In no particular order.

George Rush St Pierre. (what a class act)

Anderson the Spider Silva (Willie Pep reincarnated)

Bas Rutten

Jose Aldo

Dan Severn (he's in his fifties and still competing)

Cristiane Cyborg Santos (almost as tough as my wife) (no, really)

Randy The Natural Couture

Pat Militich

Cung Le (Holy cow, a kicker!)

Kazuki Sakabura

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Jon Jones (I know it's early, but WOW)

Rickson Gracie (say what you want, but I feel that in a no time limit, no judging fight, he'd beat all of them)

Fedor The Last Emperor Emelianenko

Yuri Alcantara (watch for this guy, been around a long time, he's coming to the UFC this summer)

Matt Hughes (I don't care for Hughes, he rubs me the wrong way for some reason, but in his reign, wow, he was great)

I could go on, and I'm sure I've forgotten a few, but a list has to stop somewhere.

Latest Discussions