BEST MMA fighter of all time?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, 'best' fighter ever is a bit premature isn't it, we haven't seen the UFC go totally WWE yet lol, won't be long though!

On Ian Freeman though, he didn't starting fighting till he was in his early thirties so take heart all those who post on here in their 20s asking if it's too late!

My personal 'best' ever fighter has to be Rosi Sexton of course!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ian isn't a brawler, you know very little about him if you say that. Have you seen his fights in Russia for instance or his fights here, were you at the Mir v Freeman fight? Don't make excuses for Mir, he was lucky to get a fight in the UK, we didn't want him particularly.

Freeman had 18 fights when he fought Mir, who was at his 4th professional fight and first international fight at the beginning of his career. Can't really compare the two from then till now since they were both at very different points.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freeman had 18 fights when he fought Mir, who was at his 4th professional fight and first international fight at the beginning of his career. Can't really compare the two from then till now since they were both at very different points.

It's very difficult to compare fighters anyway, people have different prefences in what they look for a 'good' fighter. Coming from different backgrounds fighters are hard to classify though that's what makes the sport. You can't even go by how many fights they win. I think rather than a 'best' thread it should be a 'favourite' fighter thread and why.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
O.K. then, lets change my original question from "BEST ever" to "BEST to date".

I will tell you my opinion of the best current fighters.

1. Anderson Silva
2. John Jones
3. George St Pierre
4. Cain Velasquez
5. Frankie Edgar

I think I would put them in that order as well pound for pound.

those are the guys to beat at this time, the guys everyone else in the respective weight classes are trying to plan ways to beat. The guys whos style and trainers are shaping the current lay of the MMA land.
ask me in 3 months it has a good chance of being different.

now want a top list of fighters in their prime? give me a ruleset to make a list under..
so many rulesets have been used, rules make the difference by far in regards to who is top or not.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the chaps done, now for the ladies. Any takers? I'm off to take kids class, it's gone 1800h here, I'll do mine when I get back after training.

OP
Champ-Pain

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score

1. Anderson Silva
2. John Jones
3. George St Pierre
4. Cain Velasquez
5. Frankie Edgar

Great list! I can't believe I forgot to include Jon Jones on my list - he's probably the most impressive of all, at this stage. Franky Edgar, however, still has some proving to do IMHO.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

1. Anderson Silva
2. John Jones
3. George St Pierre
4. Cain Velasquez
5. Frankie Edgar

those are the guys to beat at this time, the guys everyone else in the respective weight classes are trying to plan ways to beat. The guys whos style and trainers are shaping the current lay of the MMA land.
ask me in 3 months it has a good chance of being different.

now want a top list of fighters in their prime? give me a ruleset to make a list under..
so many rulesets have been used, rules make the difference by far in regards to who is top or not.
I'd say for most it would have to be the ruleset under which they fought.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Great list! I can't believe I forgot to include Jon Jones on my list - he's probably the most impressive of all, at this stage. Franky Edgar, however, still has some proving to do IMHO.
LOL.. I thought I said Jon Jones, but I actually said Jason Jones. Must have been thinking about the Daily Show.

Jon Jones, out of Greg Jackson's camp, is really good. Young, dynamic and creative on the mats. Fun to watch. As I said earlier, it's a little too early to know what his legacy in the sport will be, but he's off to a rousing start.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd say for most it would have to be the ruleset under which they fought.

then we are comparing apples to oranges..

things like;
time limits
approved clothing/gis
legal or illegal targets
ring/cage/other and size of fighting surface
Bring a Gi into the equation with mma rules and that top 5 list will look much different.

OP
Champ-Pain

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jon Jones, out of Greg Jackson's camp, is really good, dynamic, creative, fun to watch and he's off to a rousing start.
At the rate he's going - I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up being the BEST ever, some day in the near future... I don't know who can touch him at this point. Certainly none of the top guys in his division have much of a change against him... that would include Rashad, Rampage, Machida, Shogun or anyone else I can think of.

OP
Champ-Pain

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
then we are comparing apples to oranges..

Bring a Gi into the equation with mma rules and that top 5 list will look much different.
Yeah, but a Gi belongs on the mat - not the octagon, unless your name is Royce Gracie, it's more of a hinder than an advantage to wear a Gi with MMA rules, for most of us.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the chaps done, now for the ladies. Any takers? I'm off to take kids class, it's gone 1800h here, I'll do mine when I get back after training.

Unfortunately I am not to up to speed on the ladies that are currently fighting.

from what I do know, and the fights I have seen.. I would make my top 5 as..

1. Cris Cyborg
2. Zoila Gurgel
3. Sarah Kaufmann
4. Tara Larosa
5. Miesha Tate

like I said, I am not following the ladies as much.
I watch, but I am simply not impressed with the group as a whole. Some good well rounded fighters, but such a small fighter base to choose from that its way to limited in the matchups.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but a Gi belongs on the mat - not the octagon, unless your name is Royce Gracie, it's more of a hinder than an advantage to wear a Gi with MMA rules, for most of us.

Its got advantages and disadvantages, I think it would give a greater advantage to Sambo, Judo, and Jiu Jitsu guys, and a disadvantage to wrestling guys.

OP
Champ-Pain

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its got advantages and disadvantages, I think it would give a greater advantage to Sambo, Judo, and Jiu Jitsu guys, and a disadvantage to wrestling guys.
Wrestling guys, and all standup fighters as well. That would include - Muay Thai, Boxing, Karate, etc.

OP
Champ-Pain

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No, your title said' Best MMA fighter of all time' that includes the women, you didn't say best male fighter.
You know I was talking about you wanting to change the thread title to "favorite" instead of "best" fighter - having nothing to do with women.

Cyborg would be the #1 woman fighter in the world - followed by Gina "Conviction" Carrano and Spikey's little sister, Li'l Kimberly "Wonder Girl" G. - LOL

You can view some of her matches at: http://www.youtube.com/user/giansteph then hit upload 19 at top righthand side and scroll down. It'll be worth it.

OP
Champ-Pain

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No, really, the best MMA fighter of "all time" was Dioxippus of Athens.
Some say it was Chacka Zulu.

IMHO - the all time best, to date - based on what they did during their era:

1) R. Gracie
2) R. Couture
3) V. Silva
4) A. Silva
5) ??? ???

Future List:

1) Jon Jones
2) Cain Velasquez
3) Anderson Silva
4) Jose Aldo