The Top 10 MMA Fighters.

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess because he is still active, I don't think Rickson has been active since 2000, if I'm correct, but your right, I would easly put him first, I just had to go with Minotauro because he is still out there.

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you there, he is not as skilled as Rickson, but he still gets the job done.

Well, here is my new list.

1. Rickson Gracie
  2. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
  3. Kazushi Sakuraba
  4. Ken Shamrock
  5. Hidehiko Yoshida
  6. Wanderlei Silva
  7. Vitor Belfort
  8. Dan Severn
  9. Royce Gracie
  10. B.J. Penn
hehehe

OP
P

peligro1

I also noticed that you've got Sakuraba as #3 on your list... I would love to see Rickson fight Sakuraba ( the Gracie hunter). To be honest though, one of the biggest reasons Sakuraba has always beat the Gracies is because when you place two fighters of somewhat equal skill against each other, usually the heavier and biggest fighter wins.

In my opinion, Rickson would pin Sakuraba quickly, punish him and then submit him.

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
peligro1 said:
I also noticed that you've got Sakuraba as #3 on your list... I would love to see Rickson fight Sakuraba ( the Gracie hunter). To be honest though, one of the biggest reasons Sakuraba has always beat the Gracies is because when you place two fighters of somewhat equal skill against each other, usually the heavier and biggest fighter wins.

In my opinion, Rickson would pin Sakuraba quickly, punish him and then submit him.
Another one I agree with, but on this one I had to go for his record against the Gracies.

OP
P

peligro1

I can't wait to see Sakuraba fight in Pride next month. Pay-Per-View Jan. 2 I think

OP
J

jdam76

peligro...

how many Gracies does sakuraba have to beat to get your approval. has anyone else ever beaten 4 gracies? dont think so.

OP
R

RMACKD

jdam76 said:
peligro...

how many Gracies does sakuraba have to beat to get your approval. has anyone else ever beaten 4 gracies? dont think so.
The Gracies would be beat by quite a bit of the fighters of today. Imagine Royler, Royce, or any gracie going up against Henderson, Coleman, Randleman, Silva, Couture, Ortiz, Belfort, Fedor, Nog ect. The Gracies would be creamed and they would lose face and the effectiveness of bjj would be debated a lot more.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, I have a question is this 10 MMA fighters of all time, or current fighters? Also, is it any weight class?

Some of the names on here I would say would make an all time list (ie Dan Severn), but would not be a top fighter right now. Same with Ken Shamrock, he was a big name when it started and trained alot of the top fighters awhile ago and he is still a top draw for PPV, but I don't think he is a top fighter right now. Not sure why Kimo is listed for either consideration (all time or current).

OP
R

RSJ

Perhaps it's a bit late, but here are my top ten favourites, in no particular order, from all parts of MMA history:

1. B.J. Penn (The best fighter under 180 lbs, IMO)
2. Randy Couture (The UFC isn't as good as it used to be, but he's still great)
3. Sakuraba (The Gracie-killer; Sure, they aren't immortal, but the Gracie's are still pretty respectable as fighters; though with some exceptions)
4. Wanderlei Silva (He's gotten a LOT better since being beaten by Ortiz ages ago in the UFC).
5. Kevin Randleman (I absolutley loved watching this guy decimate people in the heavyweight division a few year back in the UFC; dropping down to light-heavy was a bad idea. He isn't the most skilled fighter but he's an excellent wrestler and I enjoy watching him fight.)
6. Oleg Taktarov (One of the few skilled fighters from the early days of the UFC. He got me interested in Sambo.)
7. Mark Coleman (As you can tell, I enjoy watching the ground-and-pound wrestlers go about the dropping of hammers.)
8. Rickson Gracie (The best of the Gracies since perhaps Rolls. He can actually fight fairly well. I believe he lost once in a Sambo match)
9. Tito Ortiz (Ok, he's nothing but ground-and-pound, but he's good at it. I also enjoy listening to him talk smack. One of his fights was my first UFC match that I watched which sparked my interest in MMA.)
10. Tra Telligman/Guy Mezger (I like most Lion's Den Fighters.)

Honourable Mention: Pat Militech, Royce Gracie, Fabiano Iha.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Kazushi Sakuraba
2. Rickson Gracie
3. Frank Shamrock
4. Randy Couture
5. Chuck Liddell
7. Vitor Belfort
8. Pedro Rizzo
9. Tito Ortiz
10. Josh Barnett
(honorable mention Kevin Randleman, Pat Militech, and Royce Gracie)
11. Tank Abbott (Just kidding)

OP
C

clapping_tiger

This is kind of a tough topic if you think about it, because there are really 2 eras of MMA competition. You have the time of the early days of the UFC, and then by "modern" standards. Some of the greats from the early days, wouldn't be as effective by today's standards, if you took them as they were. Now, they are past their prime and although most teach new fighters and still train themselves, they were still too one dimensional for today's fights. A Royce Gracie of the early 90's totally dominated then, but now he wouldn't be as much of a threat as he was, GI or not. Unfortunately, I have only seen a few Pride fights, so most of my fighters come from the UFC because that is what I have had the most exposure to. I have more than 10, but these are who I feel are the best.

RANDY COUTURE
Pat Militech
Royce Gracie
Kazushi Sakuraba
Chuck Liddell
Matt Hughs
Ken Shamrock
Frank Shamrock
Vandilea Silvia
Bass Rutan
BJ Penn
Evan Tanner
Andre Arlovski (I have been quite impressed with this guy so I added him, maybe not a legend yet, but shows some promise)

LiddellvsRampage

White Belt
Reaction score
my top ten current mma fighters are:

1. George St. Pierre
2. Chuck Liddell
3. Fedor
4. Mirko Cro Cop
5. Matt Hughes
6. Maurico Shogun Rau
7. Dan Henderson
8. Wanderlia Silvia
9. Quintion Rampage Jackson
10. Diego Sanchez

LiddellvsRampage

White Belt
Reaction score
Pride Or UFC?

Anwser: It is close to call but i would give it to ufc.
In the heavywieght divsion i think it would be a toss up now that ufc got cro cop. The light heavywieght division i would give to ufc. They are way to powerfull with liddel, rampage, ortiz, griffin and much more. The middle weight division i would say is a toss up. Pride has alot more depth in this class but ufc has anderson silvia who can beat anyone you throw out at him. The welter wieght division goes to the UFC hand down. George st. Pierre, Matt Hughes, Diego Sanchez, Karo Parzinki, and josh koshcheck. All of those fighters are world class. That is the UFC's most dominant wieght class. I would give the light wieght division to pirde. Besides shaun sherk and melvin gullard pride has to many great fighter in this particular wieght class.

Heavy weight- toss up
light heavy wieght-UFC
Middle wieght- toss up
welter weight- UFC
light wieght- Pride

glenng483

White Belt
Reaction score
my top ten favorite
-Rich Franklin
-Forrest Griffin
-Randy Couture
-Dan Henderson
-BJ Penn
-Rashad Evans
-Cro cop
-Frank Mir

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1. GSP
2. Uriah Faber
3. BJ Penn
4. Lyoto Machida
5. Mirko Cro Cop
6. Cung Le (I know San Shou fighter, but still...)
7. Randy Couture
8. Forrest Griffin
9. Royce Gracie (back in the day)
10. Kazuhio Nakamura

I also enjoy watching Diego Sanchez, Nick Diez and a few others.

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
  1. Chuck Norris
  2. Chuck Norris
  3. Chuck Norris
  4. Chuck Norris
  5. Chuck Norris
  6. Chuck Norris
  7. Chuck Norris
  8. Chuck Norris
  9. Chuck Norris